ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Rutgers in Josh Baker’s Final 3

How many years of eligibility would we get of him? 2 or 3?

Houston just landed a transfer guard today...
They also landed a transfer big man from UConn and have 3 recruits coming in. Grimes declared and is hiring an agent. Along with him, they lose 3 to graduation and 1 who transferred out mid season. Had one free scholarship last season.

So 12 on roster. 1 left early, 3 left after graduation, 1 transferred out. 7 out of 13 scholarships used.

2 transfers and 3 recruits are coming in. 12 out of 13 scholarships used. They still have one spot available if Kelvin wants to use it.

Reactions: koko2315
They also landed a transfer big man from UConn and have 3 recruits coming in. Grimes declared and is hiring an agent. Along with him, they lose 3 to graduation and 1 who transferred out mid season. Had one free scholarship last season.

So 12 on roster. 1 left early, 3 left after graduation, 1 transferred out. 7 out of 13 scholarships used.

2 transfers and 3 recruits are coming in. 12 out of 13 scholarships used. They still have one spot available if Kelvin wants to use it.
On the other hand, Loyola’s scholarship chart says they have 3 spots left.

Loyola certainly is a high quality program for him but I hope B1G/ RU are more appealing. OTOH Sampson is a high profile coach and recruiting shark.

Remind me-- is he a PG, SG or combo ? What spot does Houston need to fill?

He's a SG. Would basically replace Mathis (MUCH different playing styles of course).

Geo if he comes back, Paul, and Caleb will be our ballhandlers next season, plus a few minutes maybe for Jalen Miller.

In today's college world not even sure such things matter anymore. 1 year at a time.

He's played two seasons at Hutchison but I'm not sure if this year counted as a free one or what.

In today's college world not even sure such things matter anymore. 1 year at a time.
I was answering another poster’s question about how many years he had left and the correct answer is 3. It may not matter to you, but it matters to somebody else.

He's played two seasons at Hutchison but I'm not sure if this year counted as a free one or what.
Weird. I looked up more about this kid. The school has a separate bio for each year and the top result on Google says he’s in his freshman season. But he still gets 3 because of that waiver.

He's a SG. Would basically replace Mathis (MUCH different playing styles of course).

Geo if he comes back, Paul, and Caleb will be our ballhandlers next season, plus a few minutes maybe for Jalen Miller.
Richie keeps telling me otherwise but I still want a legit PG transfer via juco or portal, Jaden Jones looks to be our primary go-to SG.

I was answering another poster’s question about how many years he had left and the correct answer is 3. It may not matter to you, but it matters to somebody else.
I wasn't crituiqing your post . I get why the question and the answer. I was simply making a general comment about how things may be these days given the portal free agent mess. Relax Francis.

I know JUCOS usually have a learning curve jumping from that level to this point, but Hutch is a very high level JUCO....if you buy a 3rd year for a JUCO you could have a 3 year contribution and 2 of the 3 become very good years (starting caliber player).

Maybe the guys whining about taking a JUCO will relax since the other two schools in his top-3 have been to the Final Four in the past five years.

Our primary portal targets are role players that are backup backup plans for other schools. I think most people are starting to see what’s going on. Not ideal.

Get him please. While obviously Houston made the Final 4, competing in the Big 10 is a different animal
Exactly. And while Sampson has a more stellar coaching career than Pike (so far), let’s remember Pike and his 10-seed Knights came within a rebound of beating Sampson’s 2-seed Cougars on the national stage.

Reactions: CHR2022
Our primary portal targets are role players that are backup backup plans for other schools. I think most people are starting to see what’s going on. Not ideal.

Why are you so negative? Every player we get or someone else gets turned someone else down or didn’t go to the program of their choice because someone else said yes faster. Believe it or not Sampson, Cali park, k, few all have recruits say no. On top of that Sampson is a cheater.

What seems to be happening is pikiell is building out his team so we can get back to ncaa tournement. Just like he did day one with under recruited kids. That is how you have to do it at a place like Rutgers who has one ncaa tournement win in 30 some odd years. You make it sound so easy to recruit and get five star kids.

A lot of guys on this board speak like they know something about basketball or have inside info on the team yet have no clue where Rutgers is on the food chain of college basketball.

Why are you so negative? Every player we get or someone else gets turned someone else down or didn’t go to the program of their choice because someone else said yes faster. Believe it or not Sampson, Cali park, k, few all have recruits say no. On top of that Sampson is a cheater.

What seems to be happening is pikiell is building out his team so we can get back to ncaa tournement. Just like he did day one with under recruited kids. That is how you have to do it at a place like Rutgers who has one ncaa tournement win in 30 some odd years. You make it sound so easy to recruit and get five star kids.

A lot of guys on this board speak like they know something about basketball or have inside info on the team yet have no clue where Rutgers is on the food chain of college basketball.

I’m sorry if you think the situation that is taking place is negative. This is the situation.

Last edited:
I’m sorry if you think the situation that is taking place is negative. This is the situation.

Let's have a breakthrough for you.....where is RU going to finish in the B1G for 2021-22 and 2022-23.

I think I am pretty certain because RU just finished tied for 6th (7th seed in B1G tied with Wisconsin at 10-10).....& RU finished in a 4-way tie for 4th in 2019-20 (8th seed in B1G tournament), that fans are not thinking RU is going to finish 1st or 2nd, but isn't going to finish 12th, 13th or last next year.

Where is RU going to finish based on your assessment of the "situation".....is RU finishing in the bottom 4 of the league?? What makes you soo certain you are right?? (Keep in mind, you've been backpedalling and wrong now 2 straight years now).

It's not overly complicated, stake your claim and let's not make any "well if this or that happens ".....where's RU going to finish in the B1G the next 2 seasons.....6th.....7th.....8th....or just tell us the seeding in the B1G tournament, since you tried to tell us over a year ago that a 4 way tie and 11-9, wasn't actually finishing tied for 5th, because the tiebreakers had us finishing or seeded 8th......tell us where RU will be seeded in the B1G tournament the next 2 seasons.....let us know the "situation ".....

Reactions: Scarlet83

which is what exactly?

Newsflash...Steve Pikiell isn't in Jay Wright's recruiting company. How enlightening of you!

Yep, he's doing this his way...which got us to the tournament 3 years ahead of most people's schedule.

but yeah, you, kyk and the handful of other self proclaimed gurus have to keep pinging away at how the bottom's going to fall out.

you guys are exhausting.

Let's have a breakthrough for you.....where is RU going to finish in the B1G for 2021-22 and 2022-23.

I think I am pretty certain because RU just finished tied for 6th (7th seed in B1G tied with Wisconsin at 10-10).....& RU finished in a 4-way tie for 4th in 2019-20 (8th seed in B1G tournament), that fans are not thinking RU is going to finish 1st or 2nd, but isn't going to finish 12th, 13th or last next year.

Where is RU going to finish based on your assessment of the "situation".....is RU finishing in the bottom 4 of the league?? What makes you soo certain you are right?? (Keep in mind, you've been backpedalling and wrong now 2 straight years now).

It's not overly complicated, stake your claim and let's not make any "well if this or that happens ".....where's RU going to finish in the B1G the next 2 seasons.....6th.....7th.....8th....or just tell us the seeding in the B1G tournament, since you tried to tell us over a year ago that a 4 way tie and 11-9, wasn't actually finishing tied for 5th, because the tiebreakers had us finishing or seeded 8th......tell us where RU will be seeded in the B1G tournament the next 2 seasons.....let us know the "situation ".....

This has nothing to do with where we will finish next year and has everything to do with recruiting and it never being good to miss on targets. Don’t make this out to be soemthing it isn’t.

An analysis of one off season of pikes recruiting isn’t a referendum of his tenure.

You can start a new season prediction thread if that’s what you want to talk about right now.

Where have I been backpedaling or wrong? What are you talking about? You are off your rocker lol

which is what exactly?

Newsflash...Steve Pikiell isn't in Jay Wright's recruiting company. How enlightening of you!

Yep, he's doing this his way...which got us to the tournament 3 years ahead of most people's schedule.

but yeah, you, kyk and the handful of other self proclaimed gurus have to keep pinging away at how the bottom's going to fall out.

you guys are exhausting.

Who ever said the bottom was gonna fall out? Not me. You’re thinking of someone else.

This has nothing to do with where we will finish next year and has everything to do with recruiting and it never being good to miss on targets. Don’t make this out to be soemthing it isn’t.

An analysis of one off season of pikes recruiting isn’t a referendum of his tenure.

You can start a new season prediction thread if that’s what you want to talk about right now.

Where have I been backpedaling or wrong? What are you talking about? You are off your rocker lol

I don't think it is negative at all. for some reason you are insinuating everything is negative.

I don't understand. is pikiell the only guy missing on people? who is he missing on? You're mad Villanova who has won 2 national championships in last 5 years is able to out recruit Rutgers who has 1 ncaa tournement in 30 years? 99% of college basketball fans know who we are except a small group of rutgers fans who think we should be out recruiting the Nova, Kansas, Duke, UNC.....

He is building out a team with "Rutgers" type players. Unfortunately that is not a 5* kid just yet. Fortunately they are guys who can get us to the tournement.

ADVERTISEMENT