ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Rutgers in Josh Baker’s Final 3

Gettys was a contributor on an auto-bid team. That qualifies (at least in my book) as someone with proven experience. There aren’t that many bigs out there though in even this category.

Still, there were many more doubts when Gettys committed than when, say, Young or Yeboah committed. But he turned out to be a player.

That's kind of what I'm hoping for if Paulicap commits... that our staff will be able to get more out of him than he showed at DePaul.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Still, there were many more doubts when Gettys committed than when, say, Young or Yeboah committed. But he turned out to be a player.

That's kind of what I'm hoping for if Paulicap commits... that our staff will be able to get more out of him than he showed at DePaul.

Right now, I’d sign on the line for any guy who can come in and give us even what Shaq Carter gave us as an incoming JUCO in his first season with one of those 4 schollies. Based on last year, Reiber is not a guarantee to be able to deliver, while Pauly is almost a slam dunk to be able to do this. For this reason, I can’t believe some folks have been resistant to offering this kid.

Excellent job and write up here.....Josh Baker and Hutch are the #16 seed out of 24 teams in the tournament.

16 seed Hutch
One of my favorite Junior College guys I’ve started watching a few months ago is Hutch’s Josh Baker — a lights-out shooter from deep and pure 6’4 scorer. Earlier this week, Baker chopped his list down to Rutgers, Houston & Loyola-Chicago.

Matt Mayers is Hutch’s leading scorer with 19 PPG & hauling in 10 RPG — both incredible figures for a rising prospect who currently holds offers from RMU & Manhattan. Look for the efficient 6’8 forward to solidify his name in this tournament.

Forward Majok Kuath is producing at a high-clip, scoring 13 PPG & bringing down 6.2 RPG during his sophomore season. He’s 6’6, but plays significantly bigger, and has a wingspan nearing 7-feet, he’ll find a role on a Divison One team next season & make an instant impact. If the name Kuath sounds familiar, it’s because Majok is the younger brother of Oklahoma’s Kur Kuath

Matt Mayer’s is probably the most under valued power forward at the tournament. He is from just outside NYC and had a poor first year at the Hutch but exploded onto the scene this year. I continue to be shocked that not a single HM has offered. He has an inside out game and led his team in both scoring and rebounding. With three solid scorers expect the Hutch to make some noise. Shoes is tight with the head coach there as well as the top assistant who is a Jersey guy.

I agree that even though it's never good to miss on your top targets that downside is mitigated by how strong of a player the next guy that commits is.

This is not the issue at hand but this is a trend that's developing with our recruits and high major offers:
Cliff - tons
Jones - tons
Mag - 0 (disclaimer, I think Mag will be alright for us in fact his growth and Jones are the keys to the season IMO)
Reiber - 1
Palmquist - 0
Miller - 0
Mulcahy - 8 (per 247)
McConnell - 1

Surely we can do better?
If Cliff develops a short jumper/ hook, Jones lives up to the hype and Paul gets the confidence to play like this was his Sr. year in HS I think we'll be fine. Seems like you really only need 3 key players to perform at a high rate (there are exceptions).

Add in Geo if he comes back and RHJ (same as Geo)...plus Caleb and Miller and we might have something.

MO

Has anyone watched Josh Bakers Juco games on YouTube? Looks like a big downgrade from Tezz

Has anyone watched Josh Bakers Juco games on YouTube? Looks like a big downgrade from Tezz
They're different players. One is a slasher one is a shooter. If he shoots like he did in juco or close to it hell be a major upgrade

RU has 6 guards on the roster after the departures of Jacob and Mathis. Adding a 7th would be ideal but not a necessary item. The team will get a front court player, Baker would be a nice pickup, but a similar guard in 2022 is just as valuable.

Pike can't whiff on baker after the Paulicup disaster
Paulicap is on his third school. Getting him wouldn’t have suddenly made RU big time contenders for the league title. He’d provide a presence down low off the bench. We can find that elsewhere.

It’s April. There will be a lot more activity this summer.

Last edited:
RU has 6 guards on the roster after the departures of Jacob and Mathis. Adding a 7th would be ideal but not a necessary item. The team will get a front court player, Baker would be a nice pickup, but a similar guard in 2022 is just as valuable.
we need a speedy guard that can drive and dish

Reactions: soundcrib
He's 48.7% from the arc on 4.8 att/g and 84.8% from the FT line on 2.9 att/g.... that's a downgrade?
Tezz would be a 20ppg or more in that juco league. Baker didn't look like a player that would impact here - from the youtuber games I saw. Maybe they were his off games

Do they have a different FT line distance in that league?
Doesn’t matter what you shoot if you can’t get to the line consistently. Wont pretend to know how much this kid would get to the line in big play but just sayin

A Final Four team (Houston) and the team that knocked Illinois
out of the tournament (Loyola) wants him. 'Nuff said.
This true.. But also - those schools have the luxury of being able to still rack wins against weaker competition. Rutgers plays - teams like Michigan, Michigan st, and Ohio St every other night. It's a different situation

Am I wrong in my perception that it seems teams are picking up players in the portal in waves? I feel Indiana, Minnesota, and Penn State seemed to have recent surges where they pick up multiple guys. My guess is we will have our surge too, but likely not for a few weeks possibly, which I would say will occur about the time Ron and Geo (barring some fairly unlikely circumstance) announce that they come back. Then we could see some guys they help recruit come over to RU and everyone will be happy. Reminder, still early in the offseason.

I'm sure he would, but he also wouldn't shoot like that from the arc or the line. For a team desperate for shooters, he seems to be one. I'm sure they didn't play defense in Jerome Coleman's Junior College either

Pete Kiss shot 30% on threes at Rutgers and then 42% at Bryant. Having extra time to get your shot off and shooting against smaller defenders makes a world of difference. Issa Thiam woulda lit up this JUCO league too I bet.

we need a speedy guard that can drive and dish
Jalen Miller fits the description

Joshua Baker was offered well over a year ago and would be a high major recruit if not for the flood of transfer portal options.

And if there was no extension or 5th year available for a Geo Baker, Joshua Baker would plug into starting minutes. It is not to say RU would have automatically landed Josh Baker if this was a normal recruiting cycle, but if you are asking me for 1 year, which Baker do I want, it is Geo Baker.

I am just more and more comfortable with Jalen Miller and Jaden Jones as the 2 guards playing next year, as straight up replacements for Jacob Young and Montez Mathis. I can also understand how many fans are going to push back on that and think there is no way RU will be as good with 2 frosh vs 2 upperclassmen. It doesn't have to be that their production has to exceed the departing players in order for RU to be better.

They have to bring their positives (less turnovers and more assists, more FTs made and more passes in general.......).....let that play out and not get blinded solely on "shots per game and PPG".

I am 1000% certain that if you give the same green light to allow Jaden Jones to take 12 to 13 shots per game, he would average 14 to 16 PPG. But in establishing a production and "pecking order ", I would slot him 3rd, 4th or 5th, depending on game flow and how much of a jump does Cliff make.

It seems that some are discounting all players from JUCO because the competition stinks even though every year there are impact P5 players coming out of JUCO

Reactions: ejgonz
Jalen Miller fits the description

Joshua Baker was offered well over a year ago and would be a high major recruit if not for the flood of transfer portal options.

And if there was no extension or 5th year available for a Geo Baker, Joshua Baker would plug into starting minutes. It is not to say RU would have automatically landed Josh Baker if this was a normal recruiting cycle, but if you are asking me for 1 year, which Baker do I want, it is Geo Baker.

I am just more and more comfortable with Jalen Miller and Jaden Jones as the 2 guards playing next year, as straight up replacements for Jacob Young and Montez Mathis. I can also understand how many fans are going to push back on that and think there is no way RU will be as good with 2 frosh vs 2 upperclassmen. It doesn't have to be that their production has to exceed the departing players in order for RU to be better.

They have to bring their positives play out and not have as many turnovers or not as many assists, to know if RU can match the production beyond "shots per game and PPG.
Hope you're right about Miller and Pikes landed a somewhat under-the-radar steal.

Pete Kiss shot 30% on threes at Rutgers and then 42% at Bryant. Having extra time to get your shot off and shooting against smaller defenders makes a world of difference. Issa Thiam woulda lit up this JUCO league too I bet.

Peter Kiss shot .277 at Quinnipiac and then .293 at Rutgers, and had a a RS year before entering Bryant as a RS Sr. Hardly a comparison to make.

Thiam was actually a good shooter, though. Mathis is a career .278 and never shot over .300 in his career. McConnell is a career .284 and barely gets defended on the arc by teams daring him to shoot it.

We need shooters on this team. Josh Baker is one, and he's understandably drawing interest because of it. I would 100% take a guy who can shoot 49% from the arc when left open.

In the Juco Tournie Baker shot 5/16 from 3 including a bad miss which would have sent the game into overtime. He shot over 80 from line and around 40 percent from 2. He tied for total rebound lead with 7 in game 1 and I don’t remember how many he got in the second game. Hutch won the first game and lost to Mineral City, number 1 ranked team, in the second by 3. For the year Baker shot close to 50 from 3 and he played part of the year with a hand injury. Could be nice addition at this level but not a necessity.

If Cliff develops a short jumper/ hook, Jones lives up to the hype and Paul gets the confidence to play like this was his Sr. year in HS I think we'll be fine. Seems like you really only need 3 key players to perform at a high rate (there are exceptions).

Add in Geo if he comes back and RHJ (same as Geo)...plus Caleb and Miller and we might have something.

MO
Lots of “if’s” there.

I think Cliff is a max 25 minute guy, plus he's gonna get in foul trouble. If Reiber is our backup, we're sunk.

Reactions: Knight Ed
I think 2nd-year Reiber will be better than a lot of you are expecting, tbh. He's not going to bring us what Omoruyi did this year, but I think he can hold down 15 min/game in reserve. The question is what do we have when both Omoruyi and Reiber pick up 2 fouls in the first half? Or if one or the other gets hurt?

Next biggest guy on the roster at this point looks like it'd be Palmquist at 6-8/220

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT