ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Rutgers in Josh Baker’s Final 3

I think 2nd-year Reiber will be better than a lot of you are expecting, tbh. He's not going to bring us what Omoruyi did this year, but I think he can hold down 15 min/game in reserve. The question is what do we have when both Omoruyi and Reiber pick up 2 fouls in the first half? Or if one or the other gets hurt?

Next biggest guy on the roster at this point looks like it'd be Palmquist at 6-8/220
Hope you are right. From what I saw, the game is way too fast for him. His reactions were often even slower than Doucoures’s. That’s hard to fix.

Reactions: MadRU
Hope you are right. From what I saw, the game is way too fast for him. His reactions were often even slower than Doucoures’s. That’s hard to fix.
Remember both Myles and Eugene O were extremely raw
as freshmen and showed vast improvement as time went
on. And that development was completely unpredictable
based upon their uneven play early on

The game is usually too fast for freshman bigs, and it's one of the things they tend to improve on as they get more game experience - along with body control/positioning/footwork.

Reiber was severely limited in game opportunities last year because of the shortened OOC schedule, logging just 76 total minutes (48 of them in just 4 games). A full offseason of practice/S&C and some live experience in the OOC schedule will do him good.

What I'm afraid of, though, is how this will slow Omoruyi's development. This past year he's been going against Johnson in practice, and right now the only guy on the roster to match up with is a still-developing Reiber. While that may help Reiber get better, it's not going to help Omoruyi the way facing Johnson has.

Major difference of opinion: I think DR will be eaten alive and I think CO will be nowhere near a monster.

So what you’re saying is the staff won’t be able to do what they’re good at—player development—with these two players?
I’m saying that there is development and there is development. Duke was the obvious choice over Dean. Do not see him giving us solid minutes. Cliff will develop but will be nowhere near a “monster.” So we disagree.

I’m saying that there is development and there is development. Duke was the obvious choice over Dean. Do not see him giving us solid minutes. Cliff will develop but will be nowhere near a “monster.” So we disagree.

Maybe it wasn't obvious to Pike? Reiber played 76 minutes across 13 games (4 games with 9+ minutes), and Doucoure played 61 minutes across 11 games (21 of those vs. OSU, and only one other game >6 min).

Reactions: soundcrib
Johnnie Blake says Hi.
Steve Worthy says hi back, but from the same JC competition as Baker.

The fact is, you don’t know what you’re getting from the junior college transfers, but the Johnny Blake situation was so different that it is not even worthy of mention.

Reactions: RU 286
Okay, Ill play along. Next year in the B1G, Dean will be a solid 15 minute contributor and Cliff will be a monster. We ready to talk Elite Eight?

Okay, Ill play along. Next year in the B1G, Dean will be a solid 15 minute contributor and Cliff will be a monster. We ready to talk Elite Eight?

There's a lot of room between "eaten alive" and "elite eight".

I think Reiber will be better next year, and shouldn't be a liability for 10-15 minutes in most games. Omoruyi will be a bit better, too, but I think it'll take until his Junior year to really become a force. Bigs take time. We still need a third center, though.

Steve Worthy says hi back, but from the same JC competition as Baker.

The fact is, you don’t know what you’re getting from the junior college transfers, but the Johnny Blake situation was so different that it is not even worthy of mention.
I would have countered with Jerome Coleman.

I would have countered with Jerome Coleman.

He’s the exception not the rule. Often JUCO guards just aren’t ready to play defensively when they make the jump to major conference ball. Usually takes a year or at least a good chunk of the season at minimum - I feel like we have decent rotation options at guards though so I’d be happy with this as a long term pick up.

Complicating things further for next season PT is that PM is already somewhat of a liability on defense. Going to be hard to play another weak defender along side him in the back court even if the guy brings some offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT