ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers in the mix for a JUCO

This one has to go our way after missing on a few

6'9 Forward Tyrek Coger : 247 sports rates Coger as the #21 JUCO player in the country.

Coger is a 6'9" forward who averaged 12.3 points and 7.0 rebounds per game last season.

http://www.onthebanks.com/2016/6/23...ar-basketball-oklahoma-state-kansas-charlotte

I'll look for a Youtube Highlight film

I think that's the first time I ever saw the words SEC and rule in the same sentence. Has anyone else seen a sentence like that before?

but due to an SEC transfer rule he was unable to

Reactions: biazza38
Here's a heck of an interesting video... Coger challenges John Wall to 1 on 1. Gets beat obviously but honestly looked pretty impressive for a high school kid. Video is from 2012.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
He seems like he would be a good add at this point. I am still bummed that Foreman chose to leave. I understand why he did it, but he would have benefited more from this staff than perhaps any other player on the roster IMO. We could use an energy guy up front. The staff wants to play with a little more pace (much more on the defensive end) and we need some more depth to do so effectively.

This move takes away a scholarship opening for 2017. I guess the grad transfer market dried up.

That was quick. I think he read Higgins' comment questioning if we had more of a need for a Guard or Forward.....took a look at the Roster, then he decided to cancel the trip.. lol

OR.....maybe the staff called John Wall and he told them....."Pass"

Jeez I would like to get one good recruiting story.

Higgins, we have a bunch of players who have versatility. Because of that we can take any position and it would help us alot. For example, by getting a small forward, it allows more minutes from Thiam and Laurent at the 4 and as a result strengthens the front court. Or, it allows us to use less three guard sets and as a result deepens the one and two.

Jeez I would like to get one good recruiting story.

Higgins, we have a bunch of players who have versatility. Because of that we can take any position and it would help us alot. For example, by getting a small forward, it allows more minutes from Thiam and Laurent at the 4 and as a result strengthens the front court. Or, it allows us to use less three guard sets and as a result deepens the one and two.

Is this kid not a power forward?Thiam and Laurent both strike me as 3's that can also defend guards. The pure guards are seen as Sanders, Johnson, and Williams. After that, we have very little in a traditional 2 guard set up.

That was quick. I think he read Higgins' comment questioning if we had more of a need for a Guard or Forward.....took a look at the Roster, then he decided to cancel the trip.. lol

OR.....maybe the staff called John Wall and he told them....."Pass"

That was probably it!

Is this kid not a power forward?Thiam and Laurent both strike me as 3's that can also defend guards. The pure guards are seen as Sanders, Johnson, and Williams. After that, we have very little in a traditional 2 guard set up.
Bullock is a guard as well. Laurent played the power forward all year last year although I agree I like him at the three he is very capable to play the 4.

At this point in time, I will take anyone. 10 scholarships is crazy low. Just a couple of injuries and we can have a season as bad or worse as last year.

Bullock is a guard as well. Laurent played the power forward all year last year although I agree I like him at the three he is very capable to play the 4.

I see Bullock as more of a small forward. I think to keep up with d1 guards he would need to drop some weight.

Laurent played the four because we were so short. I do not know how he would fair knight in and knight out.

I see him as a three.I am really excited to see what Thiam can bring. He could be a difference maker off the bench.I liked his willingness to play defense.

Even with a experienced coaching staff the poor perception of Rutgers mens basketball is a reality check for how difficult it will be to get recruiting traction in the near term.

Reactions: RUKeystone
Even with a experienced coaching staff the poor perception of Rutgers mens basketball is a reality check for how difficult it will be to get recruiting traction in the near term.

I agree. The effort is there, so they will be rewarded at some point.

We see a lot better basketball this year, and they will sell that to recruits.

Also, I wonder how Pikiell and Hobbs worked out with David Stern last night.

"Stern, we just need five million.Help a brother out"

This move takes away a scholarship opening for 2017. I guess the grad transfer market dried up.

I'm not sure there was ever even a drop of water in that market for RU. As has been noted elsewhere, RU is a very tough sell for a grad transfer who typically wants a shot at the NCAA tournament in his final year. Add that fact to our loathsome record over the past few years, and you can see why we have little shot at such transfers at least for now.

Laurent playing the 4 was out of complete desperation. If he's playing the 4 at any point this year we are in for another long long year

I still think we need one more scholarship player to get us to 11 for the upcoming season. If not we must find a walk on that can add something to the team. For a university with thousands and thousands of students there must be one student who can add something positive to our basketball team. I myself would want someone at least 6'2" who could play some guard or someone about 6'6" who could play some forward.

I still think we need one more scholarship player to get us to 11 for the upcoming season. If not we must find a walk on that can add something to the team. For a university with thousands and thousands of students there must be one student who can add something positive to our basketball team. I myself would want someone at least 6'2" who could play some guard or someone about 6'6" who could play some forward.

I like the forward position with Laurent and Thiam at it. I also think of that kid who wanted to try to walk on from Delaware. He was built to scrap. I think Batie improves to be some kind of back up to Sanders, but not enough to be relied upon to score obviously.

Ive noticed aside from the basketball team
the women....even the soccer team..has a LOT of Jucos and transfers

Is this a new trend???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT