All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Surprised a bit that Rutgers' presence in the WNBA has shrunk to 4:

Copper
Wheeler
Laney
Carson

Wasn't thinking about it, but someone published a list of how many from each school. Of course UConn leads, then Notre Dame, then Duke and a number of schools with 6 and 5 players before you get to Rutgers, tied with Ohio State, California and Stanford

I would not be surprised if either Vaughn or Prince are picked up at some pt this season.

I haven't tracked this closely, but I just looked and can't find any transactions for either of them. Were they waived?
According to an article at the beginning of pre-season camp, their Liberty contracts expired at the end of last season and they were not signed by anyone else at that point (early May). I couldn't find anything else.

Reactions: MADHAT1 and dmd78
My recollection is that for several years running, RU had the second or third most alumni on opening-day rosters behind UConn (and Tenn). Pondexter, Prince, and Vaughn dropped this year, and Ajavon dropped last year.

The best players are often able to transition to the pro game, so UConn has had the most players in the WNBA for several years. I think it should be a rule that the head coach of the National Team, if also the head coach of a college team, should take a leave of absence from the college job for the duration. My recollection is that the coaching tenures for the National Team were shorter in the past. This was good, as the role moved around amongst coaches and did not give any one college coach a huge recruiting advantage. After going to four-year cycles, with Geno getting eight years, it is no wonder that UConn was getting the top recruits (best players) year after year. I believe no reasonable observer would say there has not been bias in the National Team selections.

If the WNBA is unable/unwilling to increase salaries for American players in the near future can they continue to exist?? Top players have been making their $$ overseas for years in Russia, China, Turkey, etc. The pathetic NY Liberty now that Dolan dumped them has been playing in what amounts to a HS gym in Westchester(although new owner may be able to move them eventaully to Barclays/Brooklyn).
The league is in a pretty sad state for the most part, IMHO.
https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/20...llective-bargaining-agreement-breanna-stewart

My recollection is that for several years running, RU had the second or third most alumni on opening-day rosters behind UConn (and Tenn). Pondexter, Prince, and Vaughn dropped this year, and Ajavon dropped last year.

The best players are often able to transition to the pro game, so UConn has had the most players in the WNBA for several years. I think it should be a rule that the head coach of the National Team, if also the head coach of a college team, should take a leave of absence from the college job for the duration. My recollection is that the coaching tenures for the National Team were shorter in the past. This was good, as the role moved around amongst coaches and did not give any one college coach a huge recruiting advantage. After going to four-year cycles, with Geno getting eight years, it is no wonder that UConn was getting the top recruits (best players) year after year. I believe no reasonable observer would say there has not been bias in the National Team selections.
Um, I think Geno's recruiting advantage is the success of UConn (and perhaps the success in the pro's of his alumni) rather than his National Team coaching (or influence on selections - he still is the adviser on that).

And, after a few "mild" highly successful for anyone but UConn seasons, he is loaded up again.

If I remember, Vandeveer (sp?) of Stanford took a leave when she coached Olympic team.

If I remember, Vandeveer (sp?) of Stanford took a leave when she coached Olympic team.
believe that was for the 1995-1996 season
Amy Tucker and co-interim head coach Marianne Stanley were named co-interim head coach during VanDerveer’s leave of absence.

I went to Vermont this weekend to check out a college for my daughter. Visited with friend of my wife who coached in college at lower level. Made me laugh when she said Geno was a jerk.

Piph was signed by Las Vegas last week and played a very good game.

Piph was key to the Aces beating LA. Laimbeer looks pretty smart in signing her to a ten day contract. She had knee surgery in off-season which is why she wasn't picked up by anybody before I guess.

I have no idea why Vaughn isn't in the league this season, since she's proven over 10 years she's a reliable pro post. Don't know if it's because of her salary or age, but there are quite a few rosters that could use a solid big body this year.

Glad to see Prince is back with a playoff team where she can make a difference.

I have no idea why Vaughn isn't in the league this season, since she's proven over 10 years she's a reliable pro post. Don't know if it's because of her salary or age, but there are quite a few rosters that could use a solid big body this year.

Glad to see Prince is back with a playoff team where she can make a difference.

I have no idea if she had any offer and declined, but Kia may decide to play only in Europe until retirement (or simply take time off). Her team won the championship in mid-May in the Turkish League.

Reactions: sammybb
Have to think as players age, they'll look at playing overseas exclusively rather than in the WNBA - just to limit wear and tear on the body. WNBA salaries cap out at $110K with a median just over $70K. I'd imagine aging bench players would be below median, while they can probably still make well more than that overseas.

I was at the Mystics' regular season finale today, and got to see a lot of Kahleah - 13 points on 5-8 shooting in a blowout loss (14 point final margin, but not that close). It was nice to see her.

Reactions: sammybb
I was at the Mystics' regular season finale today, and got to see a lot of Kahleah - 13 points on 5-8 shooting in a blowout loss (14 point final margin, but not that close). It was nice to see her.

Did you greet her or yell, "Go RU!"?

ADVERTISEMENT