ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Is Missing a Pure Shooter

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
IMO that is the next level that Pike should be aiming at.

Don't know if the kid from St. L. is a 3 point shooter, or if Palmquist or Mag develop as shooters....but as much as he preaches D, he needs to emphasize or re-emphasize O.

E.g. Paul is a great kid and talented. He's so unselfish ... he doesn't remind anyone of Pete Maravich. But we need someone who can create and finish as well as distribute.
If you knew that a player only passed you wouldn't honor his jumper or 3 point range...so you could play the passing lanes. Paul needs to become SELFISH. Regardless, I'm glad we have him and think
he will continue to develop. But this is an area of need now and in the future.

Pike, tell Paul to shoot MORE....for good of the team!

MO
PS Hoping JY goes for his Masters @ RU ....and stays with the team for 1 more year- he's pure Dyno-Mite: Explosive scorer, steals....just cut down on out of control drives.
PPS Hope Pike sits Mathis down and plays "Chances R"...then explains that he has a role and it includes D, rebounds , steals, scoring (finishing drives- not getting stuffed / or look for an open man). He seems like a great kid too!

Who can shoot lights-out. See: Vogner
I don’t care if he shoots lights out, I want him there when Cliff takes the ball fake, or on the rare occasion Myles gets beat.
I want him there for offensive put backs.
It would be nice if he could shoot fouls, but I don’t care about a perimeter game with him.

Last edited:
RU has had some good pure shooters through the years, Lloyd, Somogyi, Hefele, Lumpkin, Douby, etc..
This year, team should focus on driving to the hoop, and going with a 3 point shooter with the hot hand if available. It should not be the first option. Far too often team is giving up short shots to kick out

RU has had some good pure shooters through the years, Lloyd, Somogyi, Hefele, Lumpkin, Douby, etc..
This year, team should focus on driving to the hoop, and going with a 3 point shooter with the hot hand if available. It should not be the first option. Far too often team is giving up short shots to kick out
Paul has several opportunities for put back short jumpers every game he forgoes

Agree with premise of this thread. I don't see anyone on the team who I would call a pure shooter. Hopefully the kid that joined second semester is one.

I was hoping Palmquist was that shooter but you have to convert in the games and he hasn’t. We could use a proven transfer from the portal. Maybe it’s unfair to give up on mag and Oscar. Should be interesting to see who stays and who goes for next season?

I was hoping Palmquist was that shooter but you have to convert in the games and he hasn’t. We could use a proven transfer from the portal. Maybe it’s unfair to give up on mag and Oscar. Should be interesting to see who stays and who goes for next season?
Based on what I've seen during games (don't go to practices) there is not a pure shooter from what has been shown thus far.

Reactions: Friend of 112
What were Palmquist’s shooting numbers previous to RU?
We’re they worthy of being hopeful?

Lumpkin could get hot but was nowhere the pure shooter that Douby was. A one dimensional player

Agree with the OP, but I'll go even broader, we don't have an offensive weapon. We have a bunch of guys who can score in small doses, but none of them will take the game over, whether it's from the outside or down low.

Reactions: zebnatto
Coach Rice when he was at Rutgers stated to be successful in the Big East Rutgers needed to score more than 70 points per game.Fast forward at the beginning of this B1G season Rutgers was exceeding that goal because Harper was averaging more than 20 points per game largely because he was making 3 pointers and he would have been considered a shooter.Right now Rutgers wins games by grind out performances on defense and a few spurts offensively.There is no pure shooter on the team right now.

I wouldn't say that Mulcahy isn't selfish....instead, he knows his abilities and plays within them. Were he to shoot more, and often miss, that's not what we're looking for.

His role is to help the other guys score. Problem is, Geo's role is the same. Two few weapons on offense with Jacob and Mathis on the bench, and those guys aren't consistent.

I would take Steve Kaplan & Abdel Anderson.Wings who were lights out shooters

Yes, both were great. Was thinking about putting Steve Kaplan on that list, as he was also one of the top free throw shooters (Lloyd also) in the country! ..Abdel had a crazy form, but that jumper from the corner was unstoppable!

Last edited:
Reactions: nikoru09
Yes, both were great. Was thinking about putting Steve Kaplan on that list, as he was also one of the top free throw shooters (Lloyd also) in the country! ..Abdel had a crazy form, but that jumper from the corner was unstoppable!
Lloyd led the country in FT shooting one year.

I started going to games as a kid just after Lloyd played, but remember seeing his name in the MSG records in the Garden program for years for Free Throws. Something like 16-16...Steve Kaplan I remember very well though. Was like an archer the way he lined up his shots & FTs...

We need a Kyle Mcelarny/Andy Rautins type every other big ten team has multiple that can shoot. We are like a more talented and bigger version of VCU right now

Last edited:
RU is the gang that can't shoot straight. It's their glaring weakness, and it's killing them this season.

it's funny, because abdel was a center for the belleville bellboys ,and would post up 90%of the time....the bellboys, that's what i had to endure my three years as a student athlete...buccaneers is much better.....i also remember dick barnett had a funny jump shot.

Would love to have Tom Savage on this team; wasn't fast, but he was a good shooter and got to the foul line a lot.
Kinda sad how Savage was a huge part of Wenzel's first NCAA team, but then something happened that i can't remember - grades I think. I don't believe he ever graduated from Rutgers.

Before the season started BT Powerhouse previewed each of the BigTen teams. The one thing that stood out for me when they previewed Rutgers was that they said what Rutgers lacks is a big time scorer who could score when Rutgers desperately needed points. How right they were.

ADVERTISEMENT