ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers lands 7'0 Grad Transfer for 2016

Looks like a B!G farm boy too! Someone to give us another 5 fouls in the paint, get some garbage points, rebound and play defense. Maybe we will not wear down as much as we did last year when big teams like a Purdue just kept pounding inside.

Seemed to move well, not quite as lumbering as I was expecting. Nice hands, a couple of nice moves.

Like baseball GM's say, "there's no such thing as a bad one year contract".

Reactions: RU-Choppin-Ohio
Reminds me a lot of Andre Lamoureux. Probably nothing like him but it was an instant flashback.

Seemed to move well, not quite as lumbering as I was expecting. Nice hands, a couple of nice moves.

Like baseball GM's say, "there's no such thing as a bad one year contract".

Yes, that big guy has some skills and can move. Not lumbering at all. A 7 Footer like that is good for 2, maybe 3 rebounds and baskets or fouls drawn per game. That's in addition to any other points he will score on being feed the ball in the low post.

Last edited:
This is great to hear. Now we have Doorson, Diallo and Gettys as three centers plus Sa in a pinch. Sa can pretty much stay as a PF now unless there is an injury. I mentioned a few days ago that I thought Sa would mostly play PF. I think he will really push Freeman and should get major minutes. Gettys looks like he can help as he had over 5ppg and 5 rpg in only 14-15 minutes per game and had 15 starts for UNCW who went 25-8 and made the NCAA in March. His 74% on ft's is a plus as well.

This is great to hear. Now we have Doorson, Diallo and Gettys as three centers plus Sa in a pinch. Sa can pretty much stay as a PF now unless there is an injury. I mentioned a few days ago that I thought Sa would mostly play PF. I think he will really push Freeman and should get major minutes. Gettys looks like he can help as he had over 5ppg and 5 rpg in only 14-15 minutes per game and had 15 starts for UNCW who went 25-8 and made the NCAA in March. His 74% on ft's is a plus as well.

That projects out to 10 and 10 if he played 30+ minutes. Getting that from a Center is about as good as it gets these days in College Basketball's Guard and Forward oriented game.

Even if it projects down to 6 and 8 in the B1G, that's not bad for a center these days.

Especially when it's for a 7 foot 275 lb giant that has some game, like that Purdue and Dayton were on him.

Purdue only has one Center on their roster, 7'2" Jr. Center in Issac Haas, so they probably wanted him pretty bad.

This is an interesting and IMHO exciting get. I really liked the hustle and movement. A big guy with hands and footwork (although I know it was a highlight reel).

Man, this staff is bringing some real excitement for once. Not your usual new coaching staff at RU stuff. For real here.

I like what this says about our staff not being content to stand pat. Kid looks mobile and enthusiastic and more importantly, about 84" tall.

Last edited:
Like the pickup a lot. Still don't like our backcourt depth at all but feel a lot better about the frontcourt than I did this morning. Was very nervous about having to rely on two unproven big men who essentially missed last season with foot problems. Great job by Pikiell & Co. for solidifying this year's team without burning a scholarship for this year's recruiting class.

That's a solid pickup for late August... we needed some more depth and experience. Even if my expectations for the W/L record aren't high, I'm getting more excited for the season each week!

This is a solid late pick up. It's just highlights, but you can see he has good feet for this size and a deft touch.

Our hoops team is going to be ahead of our football team pretty quickly, imo.

That isn't because Ash isn't going to be great, but the entry point in hoops is just lower, and I think this staff is a really good one. Hard to compete with OSU/UM on the football field with all of their resources, but hoops that gap can be made much smaller much more quickly.

Reactions: okieKnight908
This is a solid late pick up. It's just highlights, but you can see he has good feet for this size and a deft touch.

That isn't because Ash isn't going to be great, but the entry point in hoops is just lower, and I think this staff is a really good one. Hard to compete with OSU/UM on the football field with all of their resources, but hoops that gap can be made much smaller much more quickly.

It is so much easier and quicker to rebuild a basketball team.

The fact Eddie couldn't even come close in 3 seasons speaks volumes about how out of his league he was.

This team should finally be exciting again.

So true, yet some people were giving Eddie a 5-7 year rebuild. I guess we shall see. NIT in 3 seasons is a realistic goal.

I think we need to read between the lines a little bit here

We tried like hell to get the center from Baylor also....

but we have Diallo and Doorson both who are sophs

So...I can only speculate that there is a concern that either one or both of them just isn't 100% and we need another center there

If so...this becomes not just a solid pick...but major on August 22nd

ADVERTISEMENT