ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Law School at 1,100 Students

Do we really have 1100? I know there are 350 students in the entering class. Eleven hundred is about what the schools together used to get before the Rowan merger debate hurt the Camden law school so much. The combined school need an enrollment of that level to generate enough income to not be a drag on the University. I wonder if we were able to sustain LSAT/GPA levels with this size enrollment.

Do we really have 1100? I know there are 350 students in the entering class. Eleven hundred is about what the schools together used to get before the Rowan merger debate hurt the Camden law school so much. The combined school need an enrollment of that level to generate enough income to not be a drag on the University. I wonder if we were able to sustain LSAT/GPA levels with this size enrollment.

I'm not sure how it compares to recent years, but it looks to be roughly comparable to Seton Hall's much smaller class of 110 students.

We just can't reduce enrollments to that level without a significant increase in support from the central administration. The administration has been subsidizing the law schools because their enrollments have been down, but the administration doesn't want to do that indefinitely. In fact, the law schools are looking for revenue sources such as Legal Studies minors that would be largely taught by law school faculty.

We just can't reduce enrollments to that level without a significant increase in support from the central administration. The administration has been subsidizing the law schools because their enrollments have been down, but the administration doesn't want to do that indefinitely. In fact, the law schools are looking for revenue sources such as Legal Studies minors that would be largely taught by law school faculty.

Makes sense. I've heard that Seton Hall is really hurting as a result of their much smaller classes. The professors there agreed to a substantial across the board pay cut last year to avoid layoffs.

Makes sense. I've heard that Seton Hall is really hurting as a result of their much smaller classes. The professors there agreed to a substantial across the board pay cut last year to avoid layoffs.

Interesting that Hobbs is the former dean of the law school. I don't know what that presages for us.

Interesting that Hobbs is the former dean of the law school. I don't know what that presages for us.

He had a very successful run as the Dean at SHU starting in 1999 and got out at just about the right time as law school applications plummeted. Hopefully, his run as Rutgers AD will be even more successful.

He had a very successful run as the Dean at SHU starting in 1999 and got out at just about the right time as law school applications plummeted. Hopefully, his run as Rutgers AD will be even more successful.

Hobbs was dean for 16 years, and so had to manage Seton Hall during the fiscal crisis. In 2013, he threatened to dismiss the entire untenured faculty -- that is, eat the young. Of course, I do wish him luck here.

ADVERTISEMENT