ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Law School Number 11 In The Country

GREAT to see !!! Rutgers Law School is number 11 in the country in best value law schools. Here is the article---https://law.rutgers.edu/news/rutger...top-25-best-value-law-schools-national-jurist

I've never heard of National Jurist. And I don't know what it means to be the best value for the money. I think anyone who picks his or her law school on the basis of the school's tuition is cracked. Go to the best school you can get into. OTOH, it is nice to get a plug from someone.

I've never heard of National Jurist. And I don't know what it means to be the best value for the money. I think anyone who picks his or her law school on the basis of the school's tuition is cracked. Go to the best school you can get into. OTOH, it is nice to get a plug from someone.

I think your’re nuts and I’m “cracked.” I picked Rutgers over Gtown in 1985 because RU’s tuition was $3600 a year and Georgetown’s was $16k. I had no money, so the choice was not too difficult. To this day, I have no regrets. Doing well at Rutgers-Newark got me a federal clerkship, and an initial job on Wall St. earning a salary far more than my father ever dreamed of. All of that set me up for a nice legal career with very little debt.

I think your view only makes sense if money is no object or if you are talking about the very elite top-10 type schools. For example, I’m not sure spending $65k at Fordham v. $25k at Rutgers makes sense for everyone.

I think your’re nuts and I’m “cracked.” I picked Rutgers over Gtown in 1985 because RU’s tuition was $3600 a year and Georgetown’s was $16k. I had no money, so the choice was not too difficult. To this day, I have no regrets. Doing well at Rutgers-Newark got me a federal clerkship, and an initial job on Wall St. earning a salary far more than my father ever dreamed of. All of that set me up for a nice legal career with very little debt.

I think your view only makes sense if money is no object or if you are talking about the very elite top-10 type schools. For example, I’m not sure spending $65k at Fordham v. $25k at Rutgers makes sense for everyone.

I'm happy it worked out for you, but you took a *big* chance.

I'm happy it worked out for you, but you took a *big* chance.

I have to echo RU-ROCS here. Unless one is truly going to a "top 10" school, going to a top tier school that is 1/4 the price is a far better proposition. I think the Fordham example is a good one, as is Seton Hall.

The chance that one takes is that without top grades at Rutgers it will be difficult to get into NYC big law. But I think that is actually less of a chance than paying 3x or 4x tuition and going to a marginally better regarded institution.

Camden,
I saw on the same link in the OP that Rutgers law school improved 30 places this year in US News. Do you know what caused that?

Camden,
I saw on the same link in the OP that Rutgers law school improved 30 places this year in US News. Do you know what caused that?

There are various theories about that. One is that U.S. News finally fixed a data error; another is that it's the effect of getting "Camden" and "Newark" out of the school titles. After all, "Rutgers Law" sounds better than either "Rutgers-Camden Law" or "Rutgers-Newark" law.

I have to echo RU-ROCS here. Unless one is truly going to a "top 10" school, going to a top tier school that is 1/4 the price is a far better proposition. I think the Fordham example is a good one, as is Seton Hall.

The chance that one takes is that without top grades at Rutgers it will be difficult to get into NYC big law. But I think that is actually less of a chance than paying 3x or 4x tuition and going to a marginally better regarded institution.

You're putting your thumb on the scale when you say "marginally better regarded." Yes, there are schools for which the extra money isn't worth it; but there are schools for which it certainly is. Georgetown may not be a "top ten" school, for instance, but one will have much better opportunities coming out of there as long as one's grades are acceptable. But you're definitely right that a lot should go into the decision.

You're putting your thumb on the scale when you say "marginally better regarded." Yes, there are schools for which the extra money isn't worth it; but there are schools for which it certainly is. Georgetown may not be a "top ten" school, for instance, but one will have much better opportunities coming out of there as long as one's grades are acceptable. But you're definitely right that a lot should go into the decision.

Georgetown today is certainly one of 20 or so top-10 schools. ;)

There are various theories about that. One is that U.S. News finally fixed a data error; another is that it's the effect of getting "Camden" and "Newark" out of the school titles. After all, "Rutgers Law" sounds better than either "Rutgers-Camden Law" or "Rutgers-Newark" law.

Interesting, thanks. Was curious if this was the result of efforts on the part of the administration to help raise rankings.

Saw in an article that the schools became officially merged in Fall 2016 so I suppose this is the first edition of the rankings since they have had a full school year as one merged institution.

Interesting, thanks. Was curious if this was the result of efforts on the part of the administration to help raise rankings.

Saw in an article that the schools became officially merged in Fall 2016 so I suppose this is the first edition of the rankings since they have had a full school year as one merged institution.

The ratings were out in March or so of 2017, which makes me think it was just the name change or an accounting error. Certainly nothing of substance happened. As for raising rankings, yes, there are ways of doing so, and I believe the administration is doing what it can. But the easiest way of doing so -- eliminating diversity admission policies so that LSATs go up -- is politically undoable even assuming that law school administrations are willing to try.

ADVERTISEMENT