ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Magazine/Athletic Dept.--TERRIBLE Job Again

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
I do not like to bash anything and I am certainly not a Rutgers negatoid,but once again, the Rutgers Magazine has done a TERRIBLE job when it comes to Rutgers Football. I don't know if the fault is with the magazine or the athletic department or both,but this recent issue is the last until after the season begins.Hundreds of thousands of Rutgers-related people read this magazine and ,there is NO information(unless I somehow missed it) about the 2016 season. No mention of game times (even though some times were announced weeks ago). No direct mention of what game is Homecoming.No mention of the ticket prices.No mention of the ticket office phone number or hours. No mention that fans get can tickets through scarletknights.com. No mention about group prices.No mention that kids 12 and under can get FREE tickets for football and basketball. No mention that veterans and current military can get FREE tickets.No mention about discount tickets for Youth Football,Teacher Appreciation,YMCA,Parents,etc. days.No mention that schools can sign up for FREE tickets for children in grades Kindergarten through 8th .No mention that Rutgers graduate students,faculty, and staff can get very low discount season tickets.THOUSANDS of new Rutgers graduates can get Young Alumni discount season tickets at a very low price.Any mention of it--nope. -----I just don't get that this happens issue after issue,year after year. I hate the phrase "dropping the ball",but when you let hundreds of thousands of potential new fans and ticket buyers (not to mention family,friends,neighbors,co-workers,youth teams players,parents, and coaches,etc.) pass by without giving them a little information,it seems like a huge opportunity wasted. If the Rutgers Magazine can run articles about endless topics and have ads for everything from Q-tips to chimneysweeps to Bosco,they can have at least some of the information mentioned. Ok, I'm done now--anyone know any good decaf sodas ?

I do not like to bash anything and I am certainly not a Rutgers negatoid,but once again, the Rutgers Magazine has done a TERRIBLE job when it comes to Rutgers Football. I don't know if the fault is with the magazine or the athletic department or both,but this recent issue is the last until after the season begins.Hundreds of thousands of Rutgers-related people read this magazine and ,there is NO information(unless I somehow missed it) about the 2016 season. No mention of game times (even though some times were announced weeks ago). No direct mention of what game is Homecoming.No mention of the ticket prices.No mention of the ticket office phone number or hours. No mention that fans get can tickets through scarletknights.com. No mention about group prices.No mention that kids 12 and under can get FREE tickets for football and basketball. No mention that veterans and current military can get FREE tickets.No mention about discount tickets for Youth Football,Teacher Appreciation,YMCA,Parents,etc. days.No mention that schools can sign up for FREE tickets for children in grades Kindergarten through 8th .No mention that Rutgers graduate students,faculty, and staff can get very low discount season tickets.THOUSANDS of new Rutgers graduates can get Young Alumni discount season tickets at a very low price.Any mention of it--nope. -----I just don't get that this happens issue after issue,year after year. I hate the phrase "dropping the ball",but when you let hundreds of thousands of potential new fans and ticket buyers (not to mention family,friends,neighbors,co-workers,youth teams players,parents, and coaches,etc.) pass by without giving them a little information,it seems like a huge opportunity wasted. If the Rutgers Magazine can run articles about endless topics and have ads for everything from Q-tips to chimneysweeps to Bosco,they can have at least some of the information mentioned. Ok, I'm done now--anyone know any good decaf sodas ?
Heaven,
It is RU football that decides if they want to take an ad in the magazine.

Reactions: soundcrib
Anyone else get the irony that you're complaining about the lack of information in a bi-monthly magazine on a message board?

Seriously: RU has hammered each of those demographics with other mailers, e-mail campaigns, and has a robust network of web sites that contain all of the information you're seeking.

Gotta agree with Heaven on this. No, this magazine isn't supposed to be a full Rutgers Football advertisement, but given that this sport is the most visible for the University, and that this magazine reaches alumni nationwide who may not be hooked into the athletic scene at the University, then it's a big miss on the administration's part. Many schools know the value of leveraging your marquee sport when it comes to connecting with alumni: Rutgers needs to learn this lesson.

Heaven,
It is RU football that decides if they want to take an ad in the magazine.

Totally wrong...Rutgers Magazine refused to allow me to buy an ad for the Rutgers Football Season Ticket Raffle, I had AD Pernetti look into it & the editors told him they do not want any advertisements for RU sports teams in the magazine.

Reactions: beelzebub14
Totally wrong...Rutgers Magazine refused to allow me to buy an ad for the Rutgers Football Season Ticket Raffle, I had AD Pernetti look into it & the editors told him they do not want any advertisements for RU sports teams in the magazine.
Must be run by the disenchanted remnants of the Rutgers 100.

Agree with the op. They could have at least had a full page schedule if nothing else
Hard to do when the editors refuse to allow it, since then they would have to have all team schedules in the magazine....this is their quote!

crying-baby-257x300.jpg

I think Rutgers Magazine is intended to be a general overview of what's happening at all levels of the University for donors/potential donors. Many pages on RU sports/former athletes. Not sure if athletic department has to take out ads but a fall sports schedule would be convenient. Remember we just learned several of the starts this week.

That said most winning programs have theirvown sports magazine. I think this site has served in that capacity to an extent.

Reactions: 17Q66
this month's issue was more than good-- and it did what it's suppose to do--inform us of what's happening in all respects at RU--by the way the article on the mccourtyts was great--try focusing on all the positives at RU

Rutgers Magazine -- which is excellent, for what its purpose is -- does not need to have anything about football in an issue that comes out this time of year. Remember, for normal people this is not college football season. The magazine has had plenty of sports content over the years, and you can bet there will be something (an Ash profile?) in an issue closer to the beginning of football season.

Why would anyone be surprised Rutgers is it's own worst enemy? It's been like that as long as I can remember.

Reactions: PhDKnight
Sorry, Heaven. There are many on this site for the primary purpose of putting down fellow alums.

Rutgers Magazine -- which is excellent, for what its purpose is -- does not need to have anything about football in an issue that comes out this time of year. Remember, for normal people this is not college football season. The magazine has had plenty of sports content over the years, and you can bet there will be something (an Ash profile?) in an issue closer to the beginning of football season.
Three of the eight "Top Stories" in the online version of the Spring 2016 edition relate to Rutgers Athletics. You're correct; the magazine does an excellent job of promoting our student athletes, and the athletics marketing department is doing a great job, particularly in the arena of social media. The winter edition had features on Hobbs and Ash. The OP is just more of the same whining-without-basis we've all come to expect.

"For normal people this is not football season"-LOL

There are 8 prominent pages devoted to athletics. I doubt many people are relying on Spring 2016 magazine to get the football schedule or ticket information. Yes you can say "it can't hurt" but resources/pages are not unlimited for the football program or the magazine. The athletics department has major control over the content of the athletics section in the magazine. So clearly they felt other options were a better use of space and I fully agree.

There are 8 prominent pages devoted to athletics. I doubt many people are relying on Spring 2016 magazine to get the football schedule or ticket information. Yes you can say "it can't hurt" but resources/pages are not unlimited for the football program or the magazine. The athletics department has major control over the content of the athletics section in the magazine. So clearly they felt other options were a better use of space and I fully agree.
When my wife gets her magazine from Fordham I always notice their upcoming calendar of events section.

I'm guessing this is something Heaven is looking for and would not be too much to ask.

Reactions: czxqa
My brother, JImmy Palumbo, was on the cover a year or so back, so I can't complain.

Reactions: 17Q66
When my wife gets her magazine from Fordham I always notice their upcoming calendar of events section.

I'm guessing this is something Heaven is looking for and would not be too much to ask.
... and starting a thread about it here is exactly the place to make that happen, I think is most people's point.

ADVERTISEMENT