ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Magazine

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Like many universities, Rutgers frequently evaluates the effectiveness of its communication platforms. After careful consideration, the university has decided to discontinue Rutgers Magazine.

We recognize that it has been a source of information and enjoyment for many readers. We have carefully weighed the effectiveness of the magazine and concluded that other publications will better meet the needs of the Rutgers community.

Rutgers Today has a long history of delivering news and timely stories about the university. Going forward, it will be the principal source of engaging, entertaining, and inspiring Rutgers content for everyone in our community, including students, alumni, faculty, staff, and friends of the university. Rutgers Today is delivered every weekday, free of charge, via email.

If you do not already receive email delivery of Rutgers Today, you are welcome to provide your most current email address and any other contact information you wish to share here. You can also click the “Subscribe” link at Rutgers Today. We are confident that this publication, as well as other websites and magazines serving specific areas of Rutgers, will meet the needs of readers and community members.

Regards,

Kyle Post

Managing Director, Advancement Communications

Rutgers University Foundation

FAQ

Will there still be an online/digital/web version of Rutgers Magazine?

At this time, no further editions of Rutgers Magazine are planned, either in print or online. The university’s main news site, Rutgers Today, will continue delivering news and stories and will operate without a print version. For readers who looked to the digital version of Rutgers Magazine for meaningful stories and relevant content about the scarlet community, Rutgers Today is an excellent alternative.

Why was there no announcement about ending Rutgers Magazine? Couldn’t you have published a note saying, “This will be our last issue”?

At the time of the magazine distribution, the final decision had not been communicated internally to staff.

Where will I find the In Memoriam list and obituaries that appeared in Rutgers Magazine?

We are developing more effective ways to publish tributes to alumni and other Rutgers community members who have passed away. These developments will go forward with the utmost care and respect. Please be assured that we will make the university community aware of any new forum as soon as possible.

Where will I find the Class Notes and/or Class Columns that appeared in Rutgers Magazine?

Since 2019, Class Notes and Class Columns have been published separately from the magazine. These methods of engaging with the alumni community will continue for the time being, and you can find both here.

With all the changes, how do I make sure you still have my correct address and other information?

You are always welcome to update your contact information and submit a Class Note about your career or other life developments here. Thank you!

Once they got rid of the “Letter to the Editor” and comments sections a few years ago I knew it was only a matter of time.

On the other hand, 1766, the Rutgers alumni magazine run, written, edited, and published entirely by Rutgers alumni, continues on as it has since 1983! We invite you not only to read, but to take part in helping creating new content for your fellow alumni!

Reactions: 29PAS
On the other hand, 1766, the Rutgers alumni magazine run, written, edited, and published entirely by Rutgers alumni, continues on as it has since 1983! We invite you not only to read, but to take part in helping creating new content for your fellow alumni!

Tell me more…🙂

I’ve seen it around but have never subscribed or even really read an issue.

Is it still published on paper or is it just digital now?

Tell me more…🙂

I’ve seen it around but have never subscribed or even really read an issue.

Is it still published on paper or is it just digital now?
It is still published on paper, although in limited runs. We don't currently have a major funding source for it, so that calculus may change (the amount of print editions sent Is significantly less than Rutgers Magazine and the costs are not insubstantial) but there is no plan at this time to discontinue it.

All stories,photos, and edits are done by the volunteer members of the RAA, and we are always looking for writers to take part!

Reactions: 29PAS
I was initially very sorry to hear the Rutgers Magazine was being discontinued but the more I've thought about it, not so much. It seems to me it had become more of a place for "fluff" pieces (not sure how I would describe that but I'll stick with the "I know it when I see it" explanation). The Rutgers Today emails actually have a lot more information, come out more frequently and are more varied in scope.

The magazine really went downhill for me when they put the Class Notes section online. Now I have to remember to go there (yes, my obligation) but I find it difficult to navigate that and it seems to me there are fewer submissions. And I'm sorry to say I miss the obituaries. I always looked at several years surrounding my graduation year. A few years ago I learned of the death of a high school classmate that I wouldn't have otherwise known about as he didn't go to RU for his undergraduate degree. He graduated from the Camden Law School several years after our undergraduate graduation year.

For me, a quarterly or twice a year email with the Class Notes and obits would be great.

And I'm glad 1766 is still being published!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT