ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Rutgers makes Top 5 for 2020 Center

100% of predictions on TOS are for Iowa (5 picks, all within the last day. Definitely some copycats but someone knows something)

Went to the same school in England as Akwasi Yeboah, so I'm guessing that's our "in" here.

Reactions: gregkoko
Yeboah and the MA connection with Geo could help. This is the type of big we need. Hope they offer and get him on Campus. NJ/NYC area is far more appealing than Iowa id believe for an England kid.

Yeboah and the MA connection with Geo could help. This is the type of big we need. Hope they offer and get him on Campus. NJ/NYC area is far more appealing than Iowa id believe for an England kid.
Same for Blacksburg, VA. He may like Cincinnati. hopefully we can get consideration if they indeed want him.

100% of predictions on TOS are for Iowa (5 picks, all within the last day. Definitely some copycats but someone knows something)
Maybe, or maybe they are just going with Iowa because the kid visited Iowa over the weekend. Lots of crystal ball, and even Rivals FutureCast picks happen that way. Especially considering Iowa is currently the kid's only high major offer and three of the picks are from guys who write for the Iowa 247 site.

I'm not saying that the kid won't end up at Iowa but if RU offers and if someone on the RU staff has a great/long term relationship with Worcester Academy head coach Jamie Sullivan, I can completely seeing the kid ending up at RU.

You might be right. His hometown of Barking and Dagenham has a high violent crime rate he might feel that the NJ/NYC area reminds him more of home than Iowa City, Iowa.

I disagree.

If Ogundele and Yeboah are tight and Yeboah co-signs whatever Pike's pitch to Ogundele is that can have a huge impact. That happens more often with international prospects than Americans .
Good but it's not like he's coming here bc he can play with Yeboah. If he had more eligibility it would matter more

You might be right. His hometown of Barking and Dagenham has a high violent crime rate he might feel that the NJ/NYC area reminds him more of home than Iowa City, Iowa.

Statistics show (top 100 us cities)...
Violent crimes per 100k population.

Des Moines Iowa.......670
NYC and jersey city just over 500.

Don't have the horrific numbers for new Brunswick - Piscataway area to compare.

Nice try though.

That’s a pretty Busch league statement.

I disagree.

If Ogundele and Yeboah are tight and Yeboah co-signs whatever Pike's pitch to Ogundele is that can have a huge impact. That happens more often with international prospects than Americans .

Interesting

For a player making a big push into his senior season and having solid offers from good programs (Cincinnati official visit this weekend, Rhode Island, Iowa, Virginia Tech and RU), it's a safe player that has a higher floor. For a player that is relatively known, I can see again why it's best to not panic in August and September/October, over where the recruiting lists or verbal commits may be.

I was already on board with Yeboah being a better fit for RU on and off the court, but if he in any way can help sway this recruit to consider RU much more, it would be a win for the culture and program.

When your players turn into your additional recruiting aspects as much as your coaches, that's when you are in a better spot going forward. We already are building good chemistry and rest assured, when Yeboah graduates and continues his career in Pro basketball, he will always return to RU, the practice facility and can always check on the in -person progress of Josh. It's not like he's graduating and never to be heard from again, if Josh picks RU.

You could see from the interaction how Yeboah likes Pike. I mean; it's hard not to like the guy. But if this kid visits; I think he's done, done and done. Iowa probably has a great campus and I know their stadium and facilities are nice; but it's still out there in Iowa. Rutgers is in NJ you say? It's actually not a bad place to be when all is said and done and if Yeboah knows this kid; who cares that Yeboah is graduating. He's giving the thumbs up to a program and coaching staff along with other current players.

This kid visits; I love our chances. He's not coming from CA; it's MA.

Reactions: patk89 and MV9000
It's not about playing with Yeboah. It's that someone who is from where he is from is saying 'this coach and this place is where you want to be.' That matters to kids from other countries.
Right.... But trying to pretend like Yeboah actually being there wouldn't be better for us is just ridiculous. It obviously would be

Right.... But trying to pretend like Yeboah actually being there wouldn't be better for us is just ridiculous. It obviously would be
I'm not trying to pretend like Yeboah actually being there wouldn't be better for Rutgers' recruitment of Ogundele. I'm just pointing out that Yeboah having an opportunity to sell the kid on Pike and Rutgers is very helpful.

You, on the other hand, think it can't have too much of an impact.

It can't hurt if he says good things about Pike but Yeboah will be gone after this year so it can't have too much of an impact

Yeboah went to the same HS as Ogundele. They are close friends. Russ is correct, this helps us.

Reactions: MV9000
How many scholarships is Rutgers trying to fill in the 2020 class?

ADVERTISEMENT