ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Men’s Lacrosse Season Review

Brecht seems to be at a point where he now needs to deliver on an NCAA bid.

Hopefully the injury situation will be a little kinder to Brecht in 2020. I truly believe it cost RU a tourney spot in 2019.

BTW - Interesting to look at the underclass stats in the For The Future segment. But as good as it is for Rutgers, I know of another D1 team, much less successful in 2019, where the senior class contributed 0% of the goals and assists and started 0.7% of the games. That has to be #1 in D1.

He and the staff get it. No one is working harder than him. I’m not sure he sleeps.

Surprised that I did not see him at Naptown this weekend I am assuming that he was watching the 2020 which were at a different location.

Surprised that I did not see him at Naptown this weekend I am assuming that he was watching the 2020 which were at a different location.
How's the summer circuit going @rufamily ? I hope you guys are having a good summer...I miss it...sort of :)

I'll be out in Baltimore in a couple weeks at the IL Committed Academy with son #2...last summer event ever for me...then it will be bouncing between Baltimore and New Brunswick...

Enjoy the rest of your summer. RU fall ball will be here before you know it

Reactions: Caliknight
How's the summer circuit going @rufamily ? I hope you guys are having a good summer...I miss it...sort of :)

I'll be out in Baltimore in a couple weeks at the IL Committed Academy with son #2...last summer event ever for me...then it will be bouncing between Baltimore and New Brunswick...

Enjoy the rest of your summer. RU fall ball will be here before you know it

As you know the circuit is a grind,my son was at the Naptown Showcase event on Sunday and got a lot of personal attention from Toomey and some tips to help him, which was great. My son really appreciated the time that the coaches spent with him on Sunday. First two weeks were spent on LI. Tomorrow he is at Philly Showcase, then Next week at NLF.
He had a really good weekend at Naptown, lots of good feedback, getting a long look from some good schools.
He has two more showcases and two prospect days and NLF and then his summer is over. As you know it is a long grind but like I said he is getting good feedback.
We will be in your neck of the wood in August as he has been invited back to Michigan for another prospect event. I think we both wish for the recruiting process to be over.
Unfortunately, it appears as his top choice is not interested in him, but I think he will have other food options.

Props to Jules who posted this on twitter this week..

Jules Heningburg‏@Julesheningburg
Pretty tired of some of my young bulls deciding to opt out of Rutgers and the stigma. Hope theres THAT recruit out there that believes he can go to @RUmlax, get a great education, play at the highest level in the country in the big ten, and make it to the next level @JNardss

Props to Jules who posted this on twitter this week..

Jules Heningburg‏@Julesheningburg
Pretty tired of some of my young bulls deciding to opt out of Rutgers and the stigma. Hope theres THAT recruit out there that believes he can go to @RUmlax, get a great education, play at the highest level in the country in the big ten, and make it to the next level @JNardss

Stigma? Please educate me. Although not in the tournament they've been Top 20 for the last 2 years.

NJ kids, specifically the private school kids, are just a tough get for RU. Given all that we offer, it shouldn’t be that way, especially with the new facility being built, but it is what it is. The further you get away from RU the better it gets. Half the people in Ca think it’s an Ivy lol.

That said, Brian recruits well out of state. Just wish the N.J. kids were more on board for the financial reasons. We have a few coming in though. Like that kid Aimone a lot. He looks like a baller.

Jules is a great example of what can be. Went to Seton Hall prep, multi x All American and All Big Ten, played in huge games and is now one of the best players in the world. To top it off, he’s a great kid. Having dinner with him tonight actually. Love that dude.

NJ kids, specifically the private school kids, are just a tough get for RU. Given all that we offer, it shouldn’t be that way, especially with the new facility being built, but it is what it is. The further you get away from RU the better it gets. Half the people in Ca think it’s an Ivy lol.

That said, Brian recruits well out of state. Just wish the N.J. kids were more on board for the financial reasons. We have a few coming in though. Like that kid Aimone a lot. He looks like a baller.

Jules is a great example of what can be. Went to Seton Hall prep, multi x All American and All Big Ten, played in huge games and is now one of the best players in the world. To top it off, he’s a great kid. Having dinner with him tonight actually. Love that dude.
I wonder if he is subtly calling out Stephenson (also a SHP kid). Look at the roster and is not full of kids from top NJ HS. One here or there but not many. No Lakes, Westfield, Summit, Montgomery or Ridge all top public’s, none from any of the top private’s. No one on the current roster from Central, Moorestown or Delbarton. ( although we have 1 coming from each of those school in 2020.) 1 from Ridgewood. St. Auggies and Moorestown consistently simply Delaware and Villanova players. I believe that 5 of Villanova’s top seven scorer’s are from Delbarton or Summit. I do not believe that they have a single NJAA coming in 2019.

I can only speak for one household and market, but Rutgers lacrosse is held in high regard with many of the top club players in the Midwest...so as pointed out above, the issue is in NJ...

I won't name them (Cali knows), but my son could have gone to and was offered by 2 other big ten schools (located in MD ) :) and a handful of other very solid programs...he picked RU for a lot of reasons...and guess what, the kid loves being at Rutgers...his only regret is he didn't perform better and he's working very hard this summer to rectify that situation come fall and into next season...RU checks the boxes

Note three other kids from the top two programs in Michigan will be coming to RU in the next two classes...no stigma here in the Midwest

Anyone that's on on the summer circuit knows that it's not just an east coast sport anymore...was there a gap 10-15 years ago...yes...

That gap has closed dramatically...high school season play is still better and deeper on the eastern seaboard and coast and that is because of better coaching...not the talent itself...but in the summer...top players are popping up from all over...

As you know the circuit is a grind,my son was at the Naptown Showcase event on Sunday and got a lot of personal attention from Toomey and some tips to help him, which was great. My son really appreciated the time that the coaches spent with him on Sunday. First two weeks were spent on LI. Tomorrow he is at Philly Showcase, then Next week at NLF.
He had a really good weekend at Naptown, lots of good feedback, getting a long look from some good schools.
He has two more showcases and two prospect days and NLF and then his summer is over. As you know it is a long grind but like I said he is getting good feedback.
We will be in your neck of the wood in August as he has been invited back to Michigan for another prospect event. I think we both wish for the recruiting process to be over.
Unfortunately, it appears as his top choice is not interested in him, but I think he will have other food options.
The recruiting process is not easy...hang in there...the right fit will rise to the top...

You have been busy...

DM me on when your coming to Michigan...maybe I'll poke my head over to Ann Arbor and meet you for lunch...even though it pains me to get close to that campus ;)

Keep me posted...

The recruiting process is not easy...hang in there...the right fit will rise to the top...

You have been busy...

DM me on when your coming to Michigan...maybe I'll poke my head over to Ann Arbor and meet you for lunch...even though it pains me to get close to that campus ;)

Keep me posted...
Will do, congratulations to your son for being named an All American. That is an awesome achievement for him.
I can personally attest to the quality of the players from Non hotbed area’s. My son’s under Armor team had their only loss to a very good West team. There are excellent teams from Cali, Florida, Denver and Minnesota that we have seen.

Reactions: Golfer2019

The problem with prep school kids, both NJ and non-NJ, is that UNC and UVA set themselves up as landing spots for kids that fall just short of the Ivies 50 years ago, and continue to do so today. With Delbarton and some of the Catholic schools Georgetown and Villanova have an appeal. The public schools Rufamily mentioned are affluent enough so that they may stretch financially and send their kids to Lehigh or Colgate. That has to potential to change. Sending a NJ kid to Delaware makes no sense to me whatsoever unless he didn't get admitted to RU.

The problem with prep school kids, both NJ and non-NJ, is that UNC and UVA set themselves up as landing spots for kids that fall just short of the Ivies 50 years ago, and continue to do so today. With Delbarton and some of the Catholic schools Georgetown and Villanova have an appeal. The public schools Rufamily mentioned are affluent enough so that they may stretch financially and send their kids to Lehigh or Colgate. That has to potential to change. Sending a NJ kid to Delaware makes no sense to me whatsoever unless he didn't get admitted to RU.
Choosing UDel over RU in anyway, shape or form for an NJ family is asinine if your kid gets into both schools. UDel is weaker academically than RU and in a significantly weaker conference for athletics.

Reactions: mikefla
I can only speak for one household and market, but Rutgers lacrosse is held in high regard with many of the top club players in the Midwest...so as pointed out above, the issue is in NJ...

I won't name them (Cali knows), but my son could have gone to and was offered by 2 other big ten schools (located in MD ) :) and a handful of other very solid programs...he picked RU for a lot of reasons...and guess what, the kid loves being at Rutgers...his only regret is he didn't perform better and he's working very hard this summer to rectify that situation come fall and into next season...RU checks the boxes

Note three other kids from the top two programs in Michigan will be coming to RU in the next two classes...no stigma here in the Midwest

Anyone that's on on the summer circuit knows that it's not just an east coast sport anymore...was there a gap 10-15 years ago...yes...

That gap has closed dramatically...high school season play is still better and deeper on the eastern seaboard and coast and that is because of better coaching...not the talent itself...but in the summer...top players are popping up from all over...
One of the big issues is the scholarship money. The more instate kids he gets the more money he would have to divide up, with out of state kids the pie becomes a little smaller. Now I think that BB does a great job finding under recruited kids from NJ he has two kids coming from Del Val that are good but he needs to either get more of the top kids out of NJ or work his connections on Long Island and Upstate.

I just looked and we have 2 NJAA one this year and one for next year.

Reactions: Caliknight
Choosing UDel over RU in anyway, shape or form for an NJ family is asinine if your kid gets into both schools. UDel is weaker academically than RU and in a significantly weaker conference for athletics.
Had a player that was choosing between The engineering programs at UDel and RU and you would be surprised at how close they were, Rutgers is considered better but not by that much. If UDel gave him a better package he might have wound up there. So it is not as easy as that. And a lot of those Southern HS are closer to Delaware and Philly then Rutgers.

Had a player that was choosing between The engineering programs at UDel and RU and you would be surprised at how close they were, Rutgers is considered better but not by that much. If UDel gave him a better package he might have wound up there. So it is not as easy as that. And a lot of those Southern HS are closer to Delaware and Philly then Rutgers.

How do the costs compare between an out-of-state with a partial to Delaware vs. an in-state with no scholarship money from RU?

When I was in college in NYS, granted a long time ago, Rutgers was thought of as a public Ivy.

How do the costs compare between an out-of-state with a partial to Delaware vs. an in-state with no scholarship money from RU?
Out of state UDel is about $45,000 in state RU is about $30,000.

So with a 1/2 scholarship Delaware is cheaper unless RU sweetens the pot?
Right bit that is a lot of money to allocate and all Rutgers has to do is give him a 1/3 to make it cheaper. This is the issue with in state vs. out of state kids. But once they have to take out of state kids it takes a lot more to get them to come.

Stigma? Please educate me. Although not in the tournament they've been Top 20 for the last 2 years.

Unfortunately being in the "top 20" - even being ranked #1 for a week - is NOT getting to the tournament. I know we got screwed once, maybe twice, but the bottom line is we really need to start getting to the post-season. Field Hockey and Women's Crew have turned things around - and they were among the worst programs in the nation at their sport prior - so let's hope Coach and the team can surprise us next season when I think most will not be expecting a tourney run. HOPING FOR THE BEST!!!

Last edited:
Right bit that is a lot of money to allocate and all Rutgers has to do is give him a 1/3 to make it cheaper. This is the issue with in state vs. out of state kids. But once they have to take out of state kids it takes a lot more to get them to come.
Very few if any kids are getting half rides out of the gate...and probably never...you may have 1 player on each team getting more than half...(I'm including room and board into this discussion)

You may get half off tuition, but still be paying fully loaded R&B....so technically it's not half

Bottom line is in most models, in state kids get very little if any money...the money is reserved for out of state kids and elite talent that you might need to lure with some extra scholarship money...but instate kids (any school and state) should plan on paying close to or full boat...

Michigan doesn't give any instate Michigan kids money...it's known that if you want to play lacrosse at UM and you live in Michigan, youre paying your way...but the lacrosse gets you in the doors (and you still get all the benefits an athlete gets for being on the team, etc...gear, tutors, trainers, food, academic advisor help and so on...)

One other note is kids on the team generally have no idea what other kids are getting and it's a practice to not discuss it...every kids situation is different and it's personal...the kids and parents respect that

There is not money in D1 lacrosse...and if you're getting money...that's a big accomplishment.

Very few if any kids are getting half rides out of the gate...and probably never...you may have 1 player on each team getting more than half...(I'm including room and board into this discussion)

You may get half off tuition, but still be paying fully loaded R&B....so technically it's not half

Bottom line is in most models, in state kids get very little if any money...the money is reserved for out of state kids and elite talent that you might need to lure with some extra scholarship money...but instate kids (any school and state) should plan on paying close to or full boat...

Michigan doesn't give any instate Michigan kids money...it's known that if you want to play lacrosse at UM and you live in Michigan, youre paying your way...but the lacrosse gets you in the doors (and you still get all the benefits an athlete gets for being on the team, etc...gear, tutors, trainers, food, academic advisor help and so on...)

One other note is kids on the team generally have no idea what other kids are getting and it's a practice to not discuss it...every kids situation is different and it's personal...the kids and parents respect that

There is not money in D1 lacrosse...and if you're getting money...that's a big accomplishment.
You are so right most schools look to try and make what would be out of state tuition I state tuition. If you get a couple
Of thousand in state that’s a good deal.

Reactions: Golfer2019

Insightful post. Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT