ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Men’s Soccer vs. No. 9 Indiana Friday

Indiana has had a top notch soccer program for quite a while. IIRC, back in the late 80s or early 90s, when RU was a Top 5 program and hosted the NCAA Final Four in a frigid Rutgers Stadium, IU was one of the other 3 teams there. RU lost to UVa in the semis while IU lost the other matchup to Santa Clara. The final went to 4 OTs before a tie was called and the two finalists were declared co-champions.

I just checked - the season was the 1989 season.

Indiana has had a top notch soccer program for quite a while. IIRC, back in the late 80s or early 90s, when RU was a Top 5 program and hosted the NCAA Final Four in a frigid Rutgers Stadium, IU was one of the other 3 teams there. RU lost to UVa in the semis while IU lost the other matchup to Santa Clara. The final went to 4 OTs before a tie was called and the two finalists were declared co-champions.

I just checked - the season was the 1989 season.

Of course, as a result, the following year the shootout was introduced and RU lost the national championship on penalty kicks.

Of course, as a result, the following year the shootout was introduced and RU lost the national championship on penalty kicks.

I remember watching that game on TV. I think it was played somewhere in Florida that year, as a reaction to the absolutely frigid temps in NJ the year before. It was UCLA that defeated us for the national title, as I recall.

ADVERTISEMENT