ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers men's lacrosse scholarships

Finster Baby

Senior
Jan 7, 2007
Does anyone know how many full scholarships men's lacrosse gives out in four years. Thanks in advance.

Lacrosse recorded 10.34 scholarship equivalencies in 2014-15 with 32 student athletes receiving aid for a total of $415,297.

The limit for men's lacrosse is 12.6 .... anyone know if were under due to funding or some other reason?

So no full scholarships? Very surprised. Boy that stinks.

I think you're missing the issue: there are ONLY "x" # of scholarships per sport. There are 30+ guys on a lacrosse roster. Think about it for a second.

Last edited:
So my question was, how many full scholarships are there for men's lacrosse. Seemed like a simple question to me. If it's none, so be it. If it's two, so be it. If it's a set amount of money shared by the team, so be it. If you don't know, so be it. I don't need to think about it Slappy. Just looking for someone who knows the answer. Not looking for a confrontation or a debate.

The NCAA allows 12.6 scholarships for lacrosse. We previously had 12.6, but it was at instate tuition rates. That is changing/changed, which is huge. What no AD could do before him, Pat Hobbs got done after one conversation.

There are no lacrosse players on full scholarships. There just aren't enough of them. You need to spread money around to field a well rounded roster. This isn't unique to Rutgers.

Now, you may have some creative things going on at some schools, perhaps even Rutgers, as it relates to additional financial aid. I know Syracuse gives full scholarships to American Indian kids who come from reservations, for that very reason. But no coach is wasting one of his 12.6 schoarships on 1 player.

Reactions: Finster Baby
The NCAA allows 12.6 scholarships for lacrosse. We previously had 12.6, but it was at instate tuition rates. That is changing/changed, which is huge. What no AD could do before him, Pat Hobbs got done after one conversation.

There are no lacrosse players on full scholarships. There just aren't enough of them. You need to spread money around to field a well rounded roster. This isn't unique to Rutgers.

Now, you may have some creative things going on at some schools, perhaps even Rutgers, as it relates to additional financial aid. I know Syracuse gives full scholarships to American Indian kids who come from reservations, for that very reason. But no coach is wasting one of his 12.6 schoarships on 1 player.

Could you please explain this, thanks.

So my question was, how many full scholarships are there for men's lacrosse. Seemed like a simple question to me. If it's none, so be it. If it's two, so be it. If it's a set amount of money shared by the team, so be it. If you don't know, so be it. I don't need to think about it Slappy. Just looking for someone who knows the answer. Not looking for a confrontation or a debate.

Who is "confronting" or "debating" you? Wow!

12.6 scholarship at in-state tuition = a lot less available $$$ than 12.6 scholarships at OUT-OF-STATE tuition. Being funded at OOS costs is a huge benefit to the program.

Each ship is the equivelant amount of one NJ kid going to RU. As you Know if kids come from out of state tuition is higher. It costs more to have 12 lax player from NY than it does from NJ.

The difference between the instate and out of state rates is 4-5 scholarship kids on the roster. It is huge as we move forward. It will take a recruiting cycle or two given how early recruiting happens now to see it on the field, but we aren't fighting with an arm behind our back any longer as it relates to the ability to get kids. And this staff can recruit. Now they have a gun full of ammo.

No prob, all good. If lacrosse keeps spreading in popularity and interest like it is, it won't happen soon, but someday I think you will see scholarships get to the level where you can offer full scholarships to kids.

These kids, like most any D1 athlete, but in the same effort and work that the basketball and football players do.

Reactions: Finster Baby
The difference between the instate and out of state rates is 4-5 scholarship kids on the roster. It is huge as we move forward. It will take a recruiting cycle or two given how early recruiting happens now to see it on the field, but we aren't fighting with an arm behind our back any longer as it relates to the ability to get kids. And this staff can recruit. Now they have a gun full of ammo.

So at RU the difference between in state and out of state is approximately $15k?
If I understand correctly that could mean big things not only for Lacrosse but also Soccer, Baseball, and Track where scholarships are limited when compared to roster size.

None revenue sports recruiting is a different game. For instance if you qualify for Pell grant, a coach would like that as he may be able to use it for another student-athlete; alternatively, a football player will keep his Pell grant for expenses. In state tuition costs maters more. Sometimes a student-athlete may not want a partial scholarship. I have seen baseball players not take money as it allows them to transfer without sitting out.

The money becomes a pool. I believe that we had 8 in state and 4.6 out of state ships which is pooled into one lump sum and distributed based on need. The $80,000 dollars we were missing is a huge number because it would allow us to give significantly more money and maybe we would have kept the Faceoff kid from last year.

Reactions: Leonard23
No prob, all good. If lacrosse keeps spreading in popularity and interest like it is, it won't happen soon, but someday I think you will see scholarships get to the level where you can offer full scholarships to kids.

These kids, like most any D1 athlete, but in the same effort and work that the basketball and football players do.
Not quite the same effort and work but definitely a lot of time and effort by these kids. The issue is revenue as you said. They don't bring in any money so they don't get the scholarships. With rosters carrying 40 kids these days the NCAA should raise the number of ships to around 17 IMO.

I don't get the OOS thing. We are not giving the kids money. We are giving them either tuition, meals, housing or books I would assume. I need to read up on this one.

Not sure what you mean about the effort and time. These kids, at least on the men's lacrosse team, are putting in very similar hours as football players do, often without the perks that the football team has while doing so. I can't imagine the other sports aren't working just as hard.

Lacrosse is growing. I wouldn't be shocked if some teams are turning a profit now. Denver, Syracuse, Hopkins to name a few. They get a lot of fans at their games, at least by lacrosse standards. Certainly enough if they aren't turning a small profit, they are probably close to paying for themselves.

Those numbers, as they will for us, are likely to grow as the game continues to do so.

Not quite the same effort and work but definitely a lot of time and effort by these kids. The issue is revenue as you said. They don't bring in any money so they don't get the scholarships. With rosters carrying 40 kids these days the NCAA should raise the number of ships to around 17 IMO.

I don't get the OOS thing. We are not giving the kids money. We are giving them either tuition, meals, housing or books I would assume. I need to read up on this one.

What don't you "get"? For example:

In-state tuition - $20K
Out-of-State tuition - $30K

...on 10 scholarships, if they "funded" at OOS instead of in-state costs, you have $100,000 extra funding, yearly, to spread out to your 30-person roster.

They will not increase scholarship numbers. If anything the NCAA will cut them. Unless some how they repeal title IX you may see it but it won't be In our life time.

Not sure what you mean about the effort and time. These kids, at least on the men's lacrosse team, are putting in very similar hours as football players do, often without the perks that the football team has while doing so. I can't imagine the other sports aren't working just as hard.

Lacrosse is growing. I wouldn't be shocked if some teams are turning a profit now. Denver, Syracuse, Hopkins to name a few. They get a lot of fans at their games, at least by lacrosse standards. Certainly enough if they aren't turning a small profit, they are probably close to paying for themselves.

Those numbers, as they will for us, are likely to grow as the game continues to do so.
No team is coming even remotely close to turning a profit. Syracuse typically leads the nation in attendance. They had 36,210 total this season. Even if the charged $15 a ticket that would barely cover scholarship cost. In reality their ticket prices were $10 for adults and $5 for children. All schools lose money on lacrosse.

Lacrosse participation is growing however championship attendance had fallen majorly. It been in a six year tail spin down 60% from the high point in 2007.

Attendance is down but prices are higher. Much higher.

I would imagine schools like Hopkins have their scholarships covered by alums. That isn't a cost of business.

Reactions: mikefla
If we keep having the type of success we had this year you can bet Hobbs can now substantiate a need for more $$.
This is important given the bulk of good players are from NY and Md.....
but also important because so many good players are coming from other places....Cal, Texas...heck..all over. We had a guy from Utah score last year(I LOVE saying that,,,and we have TWO players from Utah)

My other school is Cornell and lax players OFTEN end up at one of the 4 state schools within Cornell where tuition is more like RUs if they are in-state players. If you see a kid at a non state school it usually means his family doesnt need nor WANT financial help. There are also grants galore for kids whose family(irrespective of sports) needs financial help. The sport is endowed so its actually someones job to oversee that alums dont give "too much" help if U know what I mean....

Attendance is down but prices are higher. Much higher.

I would imagine schools like Hopkins have their scholarships covered by alums. That isn't a cost of business.
Even if every scholarship is endowed these programs are still not coming close.

Hopkins drew 20,375 with tickets ranging from $8-$15. Even if every ticket was $15 that still only $302,000. That not even enough to pay the salary of the coaching staff.

You don't see many Lax players packing on 40+ lbs to go out and grind like they do in Football. You don't see the level of injuries that you do in Football either. But they do work very hard and put in a lot of hours.not as many but still a lot. I am in favor of them getting more money but the economics say otherwise

What do injuries have to do with effort and time? Though there are serious injuries in lacrosse, very much what you see in football. Packing on 40lbs. isn't advantageous to athletes that have to run, so you won't see that.

I know schools like Cornell have their coaching salaries endowed too. I'd be shocked if Hopkins' wasn't.

There are also sponsorships to be accounted for.

You cannot rehab an injury without time and effort. It is way more taxing. That is why there are 85 scholarships. Not really a debate here. It's a fact.

You aren't practicing when you are rehabbing, so I'm not sure how that equals more "effort". More players on a field = more injuries.

More than lacrosse? Sure, but not that much more. Lacrosse is a full contact sport. Any injury you have seen in football I have seen in lacrosse. Are you saying D1 lax players don't get injured?

You aren't practicing when you are rehabbing, so I'm not sure how that equals more "effort". More players on a field = more injuries.

More than lacrosse? Sure, but not that much more. Lacrosse is a full contact sport. Any injury you have seen in football I have seen in lacrosse. Are you saying D1 lax players don't get injured?
I pretty much agreed with you from my first post and you in turn are just nitpicking. You cannot compare Lacrosse to Football. Just don't it is silly.

I said from the beginning they put a lot of time and effort in and deserve more scholarships than they are getting. Football is way more taxing on the human body. That is all. It's not a debate. I WISH they had lacrosse when I was playing Football because I basically played Baseball to kill time after Football and Basketball. So I am not saying anything negative about Lacrosse at all. It's just not as taxing.

I never said taxing. I said time put in and effort. And this the point. They are very similar. It isn't nitpicking, it is information sharing. You said football players put in more time. They don't.

Reactions: RUMountie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT