ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Men's Soccer Kicks Off Season At Loyola, UMBC

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Hopefully the Donigan Farewell Tour.
3-0 defeat is a good kick start to the tour. Total domination by Loyola. Clearly the better team. So much better technically and just nicer soccer to watch. Rutgers offensively seems to have little plan/idea/approach—other than chaos and hope. We’ll see how things go moving forward, but this game looked just like last season. Sad.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Disturbing - Hobbs should be waiting for the bus. Plus we had 20 fouls - nothing to be proud of.
The most disturbing aspect is that there seems to be no tactical plan/philosophy. The few times that I saw the offense break through for chances, it seemed like they were surprised and unprepared to seize the moment. The goals scored against were pretty bad too. The goalie must be pissed. Fullback loses man on corner for what should have been a savable header. Defense gets megged at top of box and allows the guy to roam out there and let loose an absolute banger. The third goal was just an atrocious defensive breakdown on a semi break and rebound off goalie I think. I don’t know, maybe they will get it together, but so far it looks like more of the Donigan same.

After lacrosse, soccer is probably the most competitive program at Loyola.
Seems like they are building something with soccer there. Coach is on point. Lots of experience in upper levels of elite youth soccer which has seemingly translated into solid scouting/recruiting. Impressive given how saturated Maryland/DC/VA is with quality college programs. An example of what Rutgers could be like.

Loyola is a nice little school but there is no way they should be competitive with Rutgers in soccer.

Hopefully we can get one of their alums to come to RU. Zach Thornton of DC United would be very interested if the job opened up. And he would be a home run. Great rep, and very connected to the developmental programs.

Loyola is a nice little school but there is no way they should be competitive with Rutgers in soccer.

Hopefully we can get one of their alums to come to RU. Zach Thornton of DC United would be very interested if the job opened up. And he would be a home run. Great rep, and very connected to the developmental programs.
I could see losing the game, but shutout and losing by 3 ... isn’t that like losing 35-0 in football?

Its beyond time Hobbs has really blown this one and it is going to take a few years to recover even with the right coach. I don't know what he was thinking for the money we throw around in football and basketball I am sure Donnigan could have been bought out for a small figure

Its beyond time Hobbs has really blown this one and it is going to take a few years to recover even with the right coach. I don't know what he was thinking for the money we throw around in football and basketball I am sure Donnigan could have been bought out for a small figure

I'll give Hobbs a pass on this one only because he has taken care of a multitude of issues already with other programs and this was probably just wait and see given the numerous other buyouts and coaching changes, especially if his contract is done after this season.

Let's be honest, we will never be great at every sport and at this juncture, with a few more years of severely limited funds, I'd rather we invest incremental resources into sports such as Wrestling, Lax, WSOC, Field Hockey, Baseball where a little extra investment could bring those programs to their next respective level.

MSOC is pretty much at rock bottom and is a multi-year tear down plus a long rebuild so another year at the bottom isn't going to do much incremental damage.

Hobbs absolutely must make a change after the season though.

I'll give Hobbs a pass on this one only because he has taken care of a multitude of issues already with other programs and this was probably just wait and see given the numerous other buyouts and coaching changes, especially if his contract is done after this season.

Let's be honest, we will never be great at every sport and at this juncture, with a few more years of severely limited funds, I'd rather we invest incremental resources into sports such as Wrestling, Lax, WSOC, Field Hockey, Baseball where a little extra investment could bring those programs to their next respective level.

MSOC is pretty much at rock bottom and is a multi-year tear down plus a long rebuild so another year at the bottom isn't going to do much incremental damage.

I agree but he gets rid of gymnastics and women’s softball so you would think he would do soccer also but as I have discussed in another thread women lacrosse is also a train wreck so let’s hope he takes care of both these programs this year

List of Olympic sports we currently are elite or on the precipice of being elite: Wrestling, Men's Lax, Women's Soccer.

List of up and coming sports IMO: Field Hockey, Men's T&F, Women's Crew, Swimming, Men's Golf, maybe Baseball.

List of sports we should be good or elite in: Men's Soccer, Women's T&F, Gymnastics, Women's Lax

Sports I doubt we will ever be good in: Volleyball (though I'd love to see us fully fund it as it's a B1G traditional sport), Tennis, Softball, Women's Golf

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTrack94 and MS-RU
Yeah, has Hobbs ever even been asked in private about why he keeps Donigan around?

I agree with you to an extent. I think part of the argument is that the MSOC situation could have been relatively easily addressed with some financial commitment to buy Donigan out and making a new hire. I know that there are certainly costs involved but I think that with a solid hire, the program could probably turn around quickly and not have to suffer a multi year rebuild. There are definitely some talented players who are simply languishing in a broken coaching system now and could perform bettter under different tutelage. A new hire strategically made would increase excitement and likely help recruiting. At this point,though, there’s nothing to do but wait I guess.

Question for any close followers of the team: where was Borden last night? Didn’t see him on field at all and didn’t notice any comments from Donigan about his absence. He played like every minute last year as a freshman and was highlighted as a major contrIbutor for this season.

Thorton was at Loyola just before i got there and had a great reputation. Probably the best athlete to come through Loyola as an All-American in both soccer and lacrosse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rutgers36
Can we pin this thread and just reference it after every loss?

Might be easier on all of us...

Reactions: bigmatt718
Well the Donigan Farewell Tour continues tonight vs UMBC. In the immortal words of Rachel Phelps, "Here's to the thrill of defeat, Charlie."

Thorton was at Loyola just before i got there and had a great reputation. Probably the best athlete to come through Loyola as an All-American in both soccer and lacrosse.

Full disclosure- he’s a good friend of mine. We grew up together. Great guy, super respected, had a very solid pro career and has some college experience having been an assistant at Villanova.

He will be a pro manager someday, but he wants to get his feet wet in college first. Rutgers would be ideal.

UMBC beats RU 3-2. That’s embarrassing. Doningan should walk home.

Someone mentioned earlier that they couldn't decide which RU sport was worse, men's soccer or volleyball...I'd say men's soccer. Volleyball sucks and likely always will suck, but men's soccer is embarrassingly pathetic given the amount of soccer talent, resources and history we have in the sport.

Men's Soccer Edged Out at UMBC

"We gave up three restart goals tonight," said head coach Dan Donigan. "UMBC got a goal to tie it up on a foul and we went up 2-1 on a beautiful goal by Jordan Hall. We responded well, but pressed our guys on not allowing restarts especially against a team like UMBC that is big and tough in the air. We can't give our opponents those little things and those opportunities with reckless fouls and poor clearance. We battled, but it was not enough. These are all things that can be fixed and I do love the fight these guys have showed."

https://scarletknights.com/news/2018/8/27/mens-soccer-edged-out-at-umbc.aspx

Both games on the road to start the year ... give a few more games to see if they turn it around.

We have given this guy two years to turn it around. this is the easy part of the schedule we are looking at another 3 win season. I agree with Jim fire him now. Hobbs won't do it of course but this is past a joke. With the right coach this is a top ten program without a question

Well, we (Maryland) have not won a game since Oct. 13, 2017. Bet you can't say that about Donigan (but I'm not going to check)...

We have given this guy two years to turn it around. this is the easy part of the schedule we are looking at another 3 win season. I agree with Jim fire him now. Hobbs won't do it of course but this is past a joke. With the right coach this is a top ten program without a question
Problem is, firing him now would likely mess up the team chemistry.

Reactions: Caliknight
This is just a silly statement to make. Yes we should be better, but New Jersey has tremendous athletes in just about every sport, yet Rutgers doesn't have a single top ten program. Wrestling and lacrosse are getting there.

Pat isn't firing Donigan after two game unless he pulls some behavioral stunt. It's just not happening.

Soccer alums really need to step up though. This is the exact time they are needed to come together. Anyone can donate when times are great. It's when they aren't that make the difference. Soccer coaches can't be had on the cheap anymore.

Pat isn't firing Donigan after two game unless he pulls some behavioral stunt. It's just not happening.

Soccer alums really need to step up though. This is the exact time they are needed to come together. Anyone can donate when times are great. It's when they aren't that make the difference. Soccer coaches can't be had on the cheap anymore.
Agreed. Pat isn't firing Donigan after 2 games. Anyone who thinks that is insane. Just root for losses.

Caliknight what are top soccer coaches making in the Big and across the country and what is Donnigan's salary compared to them?

Caliknight what are top soccer coaches making in the Big and across the country and what is Donnigan's salary compared to them?
He's not far off...it's all public info. Sasho Cirovski at Maryland is a legend and makes $210k. Donigan makes $140k.

ADVERTISEMENT