ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers NBA Players

God. If Douby could have been born 10-15 years later.

His senior year he shot 40% from 3 on over 8 attempts per game.
Both of those would have lead the Big Ten this year.

Without a doubt he would have had a decent NBA career as a shooter.

Bob Lloyd played for the New Jersey Americans who later became the Nets in the ABA's first year. NBA doesn't recognize the ABA records so technically correct that he wasn't an NBA player.

Been following Rutgers since 1976. To me, John Battle had the nicest shot I have seen from an RU player. You could practically bet the ranch every time it left his hand if it was going in or not. Now a minister and he married Regina Belle.

Reactions: shields
Re: Quincy Douby....“The greatest player in Rutgers history”???. He lost me right there.
Missed that. Holy crap. That is the most egregiously ignorant statement ever by someone who gets paid to cover this school! Wow.

Roy Hinson is not only RUs most successful NBA player
He may be one of the most improved players in RU history. I can attest first hand..
I remember playing against him in a basketball camp, summer of ‘77 at Trenton State. Camp was divided into teams, (his was coached by Phil Sellers), for league play tournament etc., he wasn’t that good at all, but stayed on the courts well after games/drills were over, working on his game. He even got the award for Most Improved Player in the camp!
He went on to star for Franklin, Rutgers, and in the NBA!

Reactions: Unionst
God. If Douby could have been born 10-15 years later.

His senior year he shot 40% from 3 on over 8 attempts per game.
Both of those would have lead the Big Ten this year.

Without a doubt he would have had a decent NBA career as a shooter.
He was definitely a great shooter... His 40% from 3 was with the short 19'9" three point line though, so it's possible that his percentage and/or number of attempts per game might have been a little different from today's 22' 1 3/4" line.

Last edited:
Is Roy Hinson “Hinson” who posts on the RU and SHU Rivals Message Boards? I always assumed that he is one and the same.

Remember Hinson as a frosh when RU played Nova. Told this story before. John Pinone killed him with like 27 points. 3 years later played in an all star game and Pinone had shot blocked like 3 times by Roy who had improved so much at Rutgers.

Reactions: JavaDunk18
Remember Hinson as a frosh when RU played Nova. Told this story before. John Pinone killed him with like 27 points. 3 years later played in an all star game and Pinone had shot blocked like 3 times by Roy who had improved so much at Rutgers.
I made a bet with a nova grad that Hinson would be better than Pinone as a pro

At that time Pinone had been recognized on one of the all American teams, can’t remember first or second team . Hinson was not so honored

I won that bet

He was definitely a great shooter... His 40% from 3 was with the short 19'9" three point line though, so it's possible that his percentage and/or number of attempts per game might have been a little different from today's 22' 1 3/4" line.
I was a season ticket holder throughout the Douby years on the banks and never missed a home game. Douby frequently shot well beyond the 3 point line. Range would not be an issue.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Re: Quincy Douby....“The greatest player in Rutgers history”???. He lost me right there.

Phil Sellers says don't make me laugh

Yes saw that about Douby. Sellers and Bailey say hi.

Lloyd also

Missed that. Holy crap. That is the most egregiously ignorant statement ever by someone who gets paid to cover this school! Wow.
The article said Douby was the greatest Rutgers player in RECENT history.... which is accurate

I made a bet with a nova grad that Hinson would be better than Pinone as a pro

At that time Pinone had been recognized on one of the all American teams, can’t remember first or second team . Hinson was not so honored

I won that
The article said Douby was the greatest Rutgers player in RECENT history.... which is accurate
Noticed that the article had been updated. He probably got grief for it.

Range would not have been an issue with Douby. Defenses frequently chased him off the line, and he just shot deeper and deeper. He wasn't a guy who needed his toes at the line to shoot. I remember a game when he was bringing the ball up, and as soon as he crossed midcourt the announcer said "Douby is within range!"

Reactions: Ready to Rumble
ADVERTISEMENT