ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers offers 2019 Big Man Kadin Shedrick

MadRU

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2001
Rutgers has offered 2019 Kadin Shedrick of Garner Road/Holly Springs HS.

Last edited:
Love the kids theyre offering. This should be a tough battle if one even happens.

Big season for us. We show some excitement and a bunch of young talent coming together, we could land a sick 2020 class.

Reactions: koko2315
I just hit up Shedrick via text. He said that he couldn't do an interview with me rn because he's working on his list.

Shedrick said that he plans to announce tomorrow and that he's shooting for a "single digit" number of schools.

I just hit up Shedrick via text. He said that he couldn't do an interview with me rn because he's working on his list.

Shedrick said that he plans to announce tomorrow and that he's shooting for a "single digit" number of schools.

Amazing how quickly a kid with a half dozen offers balloons to 25-30 in a month or two.

Amazing how quickly a kid with a half dozen offers balloons to 25-30 in a month or two.
July baby, July. But hey, the NCAA wants to radically change July recruiting.

Shedrick is a really good example of a kid who would have been negatively affected if the new July recruiting calendar was in effect this year.

July baby, July. But hey, the NCAA wants to radically change July recruiting.

Shedrick is a really good example of a kid who would have been negatively affected if the new July recruiting calendar was in effect this year.

For those not aware of the new July recruiting calendar, can you help me and the folks here understand how that may have impacted a kid's recruitment like Shedrick??

Does that mean it puts more pressure on top programs to really identify the top prospects, and if they miss a late bloomer like Shedrick, that he could land at a lesser program vs his talent level?

There will only be four days in July (7/11-7/14) for AAU live evaluation. Nike Peach Jam, UA Challenge, adidas Gauntlet Championship.

There will be six days in July (7/23-7/28) for something called the NCAA Youth Development Camps only.

How they will determine who gets to attend
the NCAA Youth Development Camps is TBD.

So a below the radar kid like Shedrick, who took advantage of three consecutive Wed-Sun evaluation periods for travel team/AAU ball, will have less opportunity to be seen and evaluated.

Also there will only be one AAU live evaluation period in April now, during the last weekend in April.

For the past eight years there were two AAU live evaluation periods in April (usually the last two weekends of the month).

If a "non elite" kid has an injury and cannot play, or cannot play up to his usual capabilities, on that one weekend in April his recruitment will suffer greatly.

Looks like a lengthy list of heavy hitters in college basketball are trying to get into making the cut for this prospect. I am not sure how soon that refined list will be disclosed, but this will be a significantly tougher recruitment than Hyatt or Massoud, because he's a PF/C, that has shooting range, can play in the post and defend the post.

He's very raw, but if we saw the transformation of Myles Johnson over the last 12-15 months, the upside with this recruit is why he's now likely to finish in the Top 75, when all is said and done.

Good for the kid. Hopefully when the NCAA rethinks the AAU-model they account for kids like Shedrick who will wind up getting a great free education because he was able to showcase his abilities.

Shedrick commits to UVA....definitely the best fit for this player IMO.....
Nice kid, high academic with a 4.3 GPA & got a 1270 on the SAT on his first try. I knew Virginia had a legitimate shot to land him but they do seem to have quite a few bigs on their roster. I wonder if they plan to redshirt him.

I knew it wasn't going to be Xavier. I spoke to him a few hours after he got home from that visit and all he would say was: "It was good. It was nice. That's all I've got to say about that."

Shedrick commits to UVA....definitely the best fit for this player IMO.....
Amazing to me that Bennett gets kids to play that style in this day and age.

Excellent coach and a great school but that wouldn't appeal to me.

Nice kid, high academic with a 4.3 GPA & got a 1270 on the SAT on his first try. I knew Virginia had a legitimate shot to land him but they do seem to have quite a few bigs on their roster. I wonder if they plan to redshirt him.
"
Conventional wisdom says Shedrick does redshirt. Every returning 'big' on Virginia's roster next season has had a redshirt year. In all likelihood, Caffaro will redshirt this year, too. Shedrick has stated that he isn't opposed to doing it, and, given how young he is and his need for physical maturity, the decision to do it seems almost inevitable. Things can change, but... As a roster management strategy, this seems to be working. Bennett appears to get more out of fifth year seniors than from true frosh.

ADVERTISEMENT