ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Plans to Demolish Ford Hall

Jan 18, 2015
Rutgers
After letting Ford Hall sit empty and un-maintained for years, constantly moving through different plans to renovate it for usage, the University has decided to demolish an important pat of the University's History. Sign here to save Ford Hall:

https://www.change.org/p/rutgers-university-save-ford-hall-at-rutgers-university

Find out more here:

https://www.facebook.com/Save-Ford-Hall-at-Rutgers-2101205510111355/

Some of you know that I strongly believe that Rutgers should have an Alumni Center on par with our Big Ten peers; the alumni associations and other organizations on campus NEED more true event space. Yes, they've been "planning" a conference center on Livingston, but I don't see that going anywhere fast. This would be a great way to create a uniquely Rutgers space in the heart of campus.
Just as a personal idea, let me know your thoughts:
29177031_1263655773767006_3316675218868535296_o.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight66
I like your idea. Rutgers really needs to create a lot more "welcoming and meeting" space for current faculty, students, ALUMNI, and corporates to be on campus. The green space on college ave is a must as well.

RU does have master plans which revitalizes all of the college ave campus - mainly the area between where Brower dining hall and the Rivers dorms are now. I am hoping that plan gets put into action ASAP because it would have the greatest impact on a) the flow of the campus b) the aesthetics c) replacing brower as the terrible (and disgusting) dining hall it has become and d) removing that really oddly place trailer, smoke stack, electric plant area

I like your idea. Rutgers really needs to create a lot more "welcoming and meeting" space for current faculty, students, ALUMNI, and corporates to be on campus. The green space on college ave is a must as well.

RU does have master plans which revitalizes all of the college ave campus - mainly the area between where Brower dining hall and the Rivers dorms are now. I am hoping that plan gets put into action ASAP because it would have the greatest impact on a) the flow of the campus b) the aesthetics c) replacing brower as the terrible (and disgusting) dining hall it has become and d) removing that really oddly place trailer, smoke stack, electric plant area

Just to give you an idea, this is UMD's alumni center:
moxleygarden.jpg

In my idea, Ford Hall is similar to the space on the left, there's a larger, rectangular space in the middle, and a similar (maybe slightly longer but thinner) banquet hall as what's on the right there taking over where the language lab is.

As for the master plan:

https://masterplan.rutgers.edu/sites/masterplan/files/Rutgers 2030 - Volume 1 - Rutgers University - New Brunswick - C Rutgers 2030.pdf

pg. 116/32

The revitalization of College Ave doesn't include down by Voorhees Mall. And this is the same university that spent all summer putting in bus lanes too small for a bus (and then never acknowledged it), so I'm not always inclined to take them at their word. But I agree, it needs to be done ASAP.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletKid2008
After letting Ford Hall sit empty and un-maintained for years, constantly moving through different plans to renovate it for usage, the University has decided to demolish an important pat of the University's History. Sign here to save Ford Hall:

https://www.change.org/p/rutgers-university-save-ford-hall-at-rutgers-university

Find out more here:

https://www.facebook.com/Save-Ford-Hall-at-Rutgers-2101205510111355/

Some of you know that I strongly believe that Rutgers should have an Alumni Center on par with our Big Ten peers; the alumni associations and other organizations on campus NEED more true event space. Yes, they've been "planning" a conference center on Livingston, but I don't see that going anywhere fast. This would be a great way to create a uniquely Rutgers space in the heart of campus.
Just as a personal idea, let me know your thoughts:
29177031_1263655773767006_3316675218868535296_o.png

SirScarlet offers an interesting idea for re-purposing Ford Hall. It's disappointing that Rutgers would even consider demolishing one of its historic buildings, especially in the Voorhees Mall area. Full disclosure: I lived in Ford Hall in my Sophomore year, so have a bit of nostalgic interest. It was hardly a great layout for a modern dormitory, even at the time, but the historic ambience and convenient location compensated for that. If they intend to demolish anything on that part of the campus, I would start with the ill-considered 1960's-era additions -- Scott, SoE, Language Lab. I'll add my name to the Change.org petition.

I guess I'm surprised to hear them consider demolition versus an adaptive reuse (gut & reno) approach but perhaps the financials are not in favor for sinking money into the structure? I like the idea of reimagining that entire quadrant of the intersection similar to the rough markup shown above.

I'm not as inspired to save a dilapidated building versus replacing it with a new facility, so long as it maintains the architectural quality and compatibility with the surroundings.

With Rutgers, though, I'd be lying if I didn't say I'd be at least a bit concerned about the latter. Don't knock it down and replace with an architectural misfit for the sake of design. Plenty of opportunity to incorporate technology and innovation with a facility that still strives to fit within the campus context.

Reactions: zazoo2002
I guess I'm surprised to hear them consider demolition versus an adaptive reuse (gut & reno) approach but perhaps the financials are not in favor for sinking money into the structure? I like the idea of reimagining that entire quadrant of the intersection similar to the rough markup shown above.

I'm not as inspired to save a dilapidated building versus replacing it with a new facility, so long as it maintains the architectural quality and compatibility with the surroundings.

With Rutgers, though, I'd be lying if I didn't say I'd be at least a bit concerned about the latter. Don't knock it down and replace with an architectural misfit for the sake of design. Plenty of opportunity to incorporate technology and innovation with a facility that still strives to fit within the campus context.

Ford Hall needs some TLC for the outside (but all Rutgers buildings do...Winants Hall's cupola is rotting and no one has done anything about that in years.) but it's far from truly dilapidated. With some care, it'd make a nice wing full of well lit meeting rooms, perhaps an alumni/student library, a club room, smaller gathering spaces. Connecting it to a more "modern style" wing still in keeping with the style of Voorhees Mall would be quote nice I think

Reactions: RUnTeX
SirScarlet offers an interesting idea for re-purposing Ford Hall. It's disappointing that Rutgers would even consider demolishing one of its historic buildings, especially in the Voorhees Mall area. Full disclosure: I lived in Ford Hall in my Sophomore year, so have a bit of nostalgic interest. It was hardly a great layout for a modern dormitory, even at the time, but the historic ambience and convenient location compensated for that. If they intend to demolish anything on that part of the campus, I would start with the ill-considered 1960's-era additions -- Scott, SoE, Language Lab. I'll add my name to the Change.org petition.

Scott Hall is ugly, but functional. Kind of an exact opposite of the New Academic Buildings which are gorgeous but clearly didn't show much thought for what was needed.

Is Brower still disgusting? We graduated around the same time based on your handle...I heard they have sushi now lol

New Academic Buildings which are gorgeous but clearly didn't show much thought for what was needed.

Do tell. I have not been inside and only have ever done a token drive-by while on campus during gameday but my impression was that the new academic building next to the honors college was well received and a successful project. Is there something about the interior functional layout that missed the mark?

Do tell. I have not been inside and only have ever done a token drive-by while on campus during gameday but my impression was that the new academic building next to the honors college was well received and a successful project. Is there something about the interior functional layout that missed the mark?

The lecture halls are nice, but there is a MASSIVE amount of unused space in the buildings. I mean, truly massive amounts of space that is just sitting there. Super wide staircases for no particular reason, random spaces in the building that are cordoned off, and the offices/seminar spaces at the top are too small. The actual classrooms they built are very nice, but they could have had at least double the usage out of that space.

Parking is a big issue for placing a major alumni/event facility on college ave

There's a big parking lot behind Murray Hall that's rarely full on the weekends which could also be replaced by a deck.

The lecture halls are nice, but there is a MASSIVE amount of unused space in the buildings. I mean, truly massive amounts of space that is just sitting there. Super wide staircases for no particular reason, random spaces in the building that are cordoned off, and the offices/seminar spaces at the top are too small. The actual classrooms they built are very nice, but they could have had at least double the usage out of that space.

There's a big parking lot behind Murray Hall that's rarely full on the weekends which could also be replaced by a deck.
i believe that they had once planned a deck there but i believe it was scrapped
Rutgers 2030 proposes to implement a proposal from a recent study to provide parking at Lot 16, east of Murray Hall. This parking garage provides 300 cars and will serve the south side of the College Avenue campus, located suitably close to the RWJ hospital.
(pg. 29)

Pity, that would be a perfect space for one. Also, another decent parking are would be the seminary parking lot, which isn't really fully utilized on weekends.

Pity, that would be a perfect space for one. Also, another decent parking are would be the seminary parking lot, which isn't really fully utilized on weekends.[/QUOT
logistically yes but that's the last remaining space @ voorhees mall area that could be used for a more collegiate purpose (housing, classrooms) and it would be pitiful to place a deck between the historic buildings of Murray and the J&J brick HQ imho

What exactly is in this alumni center that you envision? There is already a new Rutgers Club facility on Livingston. I'm just not sure I can see what would occupy that much space plus an entirely separate catering facility.

Also in terms of parking, alumni events are not just on the weekends - in fact many are during the week. If the alumni center merits a building the size of Ford Hall I would think it would be in use more than 2 days a week.

Last edited:
What exactly is in this alumni center that you envision? There is already a new Rutgers Club facility on Livingston. I'm just not sure I can see what would occupy that much space plus an entirely separate catering facility.

Also in terms of parking, alumni events are not just on the weekends - in fact many are during the week. If the alumni center merits a building the size of Ford Hall I would think it would be in use more than 2 days a week.

The Rutgers club is an entirely different type of organisation. It was conceived of as similar to what a current Alumni Center would be, but no longer is. The Rutgers Club would be something in an Alumni Center, but does not fulfill the same purpose. It might go in Ford Hall.

In terms of what would fulfill that level of space; a banquet hall would not go into Ford Hall. It would be a separate space. Ford Hall would be a space for club rooms, meeting rooms, etc. Which simply aren't as available as you might expect on campus in the volume we might hope.

Alumni events may not always take place on weekends, but they do often take place post business hours, and there are options. A lot of these facilities also rent their spaces to student organizations and departments during the week.

Some of our peer universities that have similar spaces:
Maryland,
UNC chapel hill,
Oregon,
Minnesota,
Ohio State,
Illinois,
Penn State
Etc. There are more.

https://uialumniassociation.org/alumni-center/
https://riggs.umd.edu
https://directory.alumni.psu.edu/s/1218/16/interior.aspx?sid=1218&gid=4&pgid=4257
Wisconsin is building their own:
https://www.uwalumni.com/alumni-park/

The Rutgers club is an entirely different type of organisation. It was conceived of as similar to what a current Alumni Center would be, but no longer is. The Rutgers Club would be something in an Alumni Center, but does not fulfill the same purpose. It might go in Ford Hall.

In terms of what would fulfill that level of space; a banquet hall would not go into Ford Hall. It would be a separate space. Ford Hall would be a space for club rooms, meeting rooms, etc. Which simply aren't as available as you might expect on campus in the volume we might hope.

Alumni events may not always take place on weekends, but they do often take place post business hours, and there are options. A lot of these facilities also rent their spaces to student organizations and departments during the week.

Maryland,
UNC chapel hill,
Oregon,
Minnesota,
Ohio State,
Illinois,
Penn State
Etc. There are more.

https://directory.alumni.psu.edu/s/1218/16/interior.aspx?sid=1218&gid=4&pgid=4257
It really is unbelievable how beautiful these facilities are at our peer institutions. Rutgers is so far behind. The Rutgers 2030 plan should have happened 20 years ago.

It really is unbelievable how beautiful these facilities are at our peer institutions. Rutgers is so far behind. The Rutgers 2030 plan should have happened 20 years ago.

I certainly don't disagree, although one of the benefits of catching up now is that the technology of today is a lot more adaptable for going forward; wireless technology is more easily replaceable than wired.

Just throwing it out there but between the lack of money and our facilities department we really need something to change. Demolishing historic buildings, not repairing Winants' cupola, making the bus lanes on College Ave too narrow (to the extent that they serve no purpose; why would you make bike lanes as wide as bus lanes?), getting rid of parking while scrapping garage plans. Just goes on and on.
...but the bike lanes aren't as wide as the bus lane. I believe the standard width of an auto lane in a city is about 10'! both bike lanes together may be 8'

The revitalization of College Ave doesn't include down by Voorhees Mall. And this is the same university that spent all summer putting in bus lanes too small for a bus (and then never acknowledged it), so I'm not always inclined to take them at their word. But I agree, it needs to be done ASAP.
Wait, what?

Just throwing it out there but between the lack of money and our facilities department we really need something to change. Demolishing historic buildings, not repairing Winants' cupola, making the bus lanes on College Ave too narrow (to the extent that they serve no purpose; why would you make bike lanes as wide as bus lanes?), getting rid of parking while scrapping garage plans. Just goes on and on.
Wait, what?

Yep. And that's not even including the broken and cracked bricks by Bishop, the paint that's constantly running from Demarest's cupola and window panes, the holes in the wall at the livi student center MPR, the cracking paint on the Douglass Student Center, the cracked brownstone wall surrounding the old queens campus, the cracked stones on Geology Hall (while Winants is renovated for the second time in 30 years so Barchi can move in), etc. etc. Last I heard Rutgers has hundreds of thousands of dollars in undone maintenance. But it doesn't appear to be a serious priority at ALL.

I say let Ford Hall stay and put some $$$ in it to keep it structurally sound, but not in use. Invest the money that would be spent on the renovation/building project in:

1. Add bricked walkways on the Old Queens Campus and Voorhees Mall.
2. Bury the telephone lines around Old Queens Campus and Voorhees Mall.
3. Rebuild or paint the cupola on the top of Murray Hall.
4. Demo the Records Hall and create an expansive lawn in its place. I know that this area is scheduled to have new academic buildings down the road, but this could be a temporary stopgap.

-Scarlet Jerry

Reactions: RUBABY15
I say let Ford Hall stay and put some $$$ in it to keep it structurally sound, but not in use. Invest the money that would be spent on the renovation/building project in:

1. Add bricked walkways on the Old Queens Campus and Voorhees Mall.
2. Bury the telephone lines around Old Queens Campus and Voorhees Mall.
3. Rebuild or paint the cupola on the top of Murray Hall.
4. Demo the Records Hall and create an expansive lawn in its place. I know that this area is scheduled to have new academic buildings down the road, but this could be a temporary stopgap.

-Scarlet Jerry

1. I'm not sure you'll see bricked walkways on the Old Queens campus anytime soon...there aren't actually that many walkways there which aren't also roadways, so it doesn't make much sense. I like the idea of it on Voorhees mall, but I'm also a fan of putting flagstones there, like it used to be.

2.I'm not sure that's too much of a priority, but it's certainly a great idea. Probably will be saved for when they completely re-develop the roadway.

3. Amen. I've already donated money towards that.

4. Ehhhh....the problem is they're still using Records hall for computer lab space, office space, etc. Until everyone's ready to move out, they can't remove it. I do love the idea of putting in a lawn there sometime soon, but it's definitely not ready.

Putting $$$ into an unused building on a prime space on College Ave is just a waste of money. If we're not going to use it, then it should be torn down. Building a project like an alumni center could be a way to help increase our donor-base and achieve those other goals you mentioned.

I'm of a different opinion in that I actually like the idea of tearing down the building because I imagine that the resulting space would enhance the view/sightlines of Voorhees Mall from College ave.
I need to hear more about what the plans are for the land before fully commit to pro tear-down tho

Last edited:
I'm of a different opinion in that I actually like the idea of tearing down the building because I imagine that the resultimgrspace would enhance the view/sightlines of Voorhees Mall from College ave.
. I need to hear more about what the plans are for the land before fully commit to pro tear-doen tho
I agree with this. It would open up a nice view to Murray Hall which IMO is the most attractive building at Rutgers.

I'm of a different opinion in that I actually like the idea of tearing down the building because I imagine that the resulting space would enhance the view/sightlines of Voorhees Mall from College ave.
I need to hear more about what the plans are for the land before fully commit to pro tear-down tho
I agree with this. It would open up a nice view to Murray Hall which IMO is the most attractive building at Rutgers.

I think you're likely to just see a parking lot/ the language lab. And I highly doubt they'll let it sit vacant.

I think you're likely to just see a parking lot/ the language lab. And I highly doubt they'll let it sit vacant.
Well, if course you'll initially see a parking lot and the language lab building, since they aren't being included in the teardown proposal but I'm sure that that is temporary, just like you said in your last sentence. And looking at a map of the area, you could still build on that corner and leave the college Ave side open enough to make a positive impact on sight lines. All they'd have to do is realign the future building to face Seminary place
n3echrcp4yfx9u93sndj.png

Well, if course you'll initially see a parking lot and the language lab building, since they aren't being included in the teardown proposal but I'm sure that that is temporary, just like you said in your last sentence. And looking at a map of the area, you could still build on that corner and leave the college Ave side open enough to make a positive impact on sight lines. All they'd have to do is realign the future building to face Seminary place
n3echrcp4yfx9u93sndj.png

Even if they align it towards Seminary, they'll probably still fill on the College Ave side. Not sure about how much it'll affect sight lines for Murray. That said, sight lines just changed a lot, a bunch of trees were cut down after the last nor'easter.

Maryland,
UNC chapel hill,
Oregon,
Minnesota,
Ohio State,
Illinois,
Penn State
Etc. There are more.

These facilities are basically catering/event spaces and meeting rooms - which I guess is what you're saying the university needs. The Rutgers Club isn't that much different other than it's not as large and doesn't have as much space and variety of spaces to offer. I think there is an impression by many that these alumni centers are something more - for instance a grand oak paneled club that they can hang out in or some other vague alumni oasis. The reality is that they're basically event and conference centers.

I'd be interested in hearing what the actual demand is and what our shortfalls are - in other words who and what aren't we able to accommodate? The big question is what are the demands for space and what is the willingness of groups to pay for those spaces? If the demand is there and the facility can essentially be self-supporting than it makes sense.

The University should look at different options throughout campus and it's possible that having a variety of multi-purpose spaces across campus is a better option than having one single alumni center. It might be better to invest in enhancing and expanding existing spaces (Rutgers Club, University Inn, etc) while also adding additional spaces elsewhere. I also don't know what a project of your scale would cost but it would certainly be significant - so the questions immediately becomes is that the most effective use of those dollars? Again I don't know the answer.

I like the creativity in your concept just not sure it's the right fit.

These facilities are basically catering/event spaces and meeting rooms - which I guess is what you're saying the university needs. The Rutgers Club isn't that much different other than it's not as large and doesn't have as much space and variety of spaces to offer. I think there is an impression by many that these alumni centers are something more - for instance a grand oak paneled club that they can hang out in or some other vague alumni oasis. The reality is that they're basically event and conference centers.

I'd be interested in hearing what the actual demand is and what our shortfalls are - in other words who and what aren't we able to accommodate? The big question is what are the demands for space and what is the willingness of groups to pay for those spaces? If the demand is there and the facility can essentially be self-supporting than it makes sense.

The University should look at different options throughout campus and it's possible that having a variety of multi-purpose spaces across campus is a better option than having one single alumni center. It might be better to invest in enhancing and expanding existing spaces (Rutgers Club, University Inn, etc) while also adding additional spaces elsewhere. I also don't know what a project of your scale would cost but it would certainly be significant - so the questions immediately becomes is that the most effective use of those dollars? Again I don't know the answer.

I like the creativity in your concept just not sure it's the right fit.

The use of the facility depends on the space itself; some (like Maryland's and Minnesota's) are exactly what you describe: catering spaces and meeting rooms. Others, like U.N.C.'s are used much more for connecting people from the community. It's bringing people on campus who wouldn't necessarily otherwise have a need, and giving them an opportunity to interact with campus folks.

The Rutgers Club was originally conceived of as a place for alumni, faculty, and community leaders to come together. Nowadays, it simply...isn't. It's an event space where there's food. It has few-to-no connections to alumni associations, faculty, etc. Case in point? It's hosting a mother's day luncheon on the day of graduation.

Rutgers has 6 multipurpose rooms. One is in each student center, and only one of them is a really modern space: Livingston. It's occasionally used for Bar Mitzvahs, receptions, small conferences, etc. There are currently some holes in the wall, and it's decor is decidedly meant for those kinds of lower scale events. Cook may as well not even have an MPR, it's simply too far away from everything. For all we talk about having 4 co-equal campuses, we really don't. College ave is, and will continue to be, the center of Rutgers-New Brunswick. Even more so after they build the new quad in a couple of years.

Either way, an MPR isn't meant to hold the kinds of galas and receptions that cater to a more formal crowd. There are some smaller spaces for more formal receptions; the Rutgers Club is one, and the reception room in Winants used to be another, we will see how much use it receives from outside departments now that the office of the president is in there. We still aren't sure what the policy will be. There's also the faculty dining room of Brower which is...well...interesting? Food's still Brower.

Otherwise, large formal events take place off campus. Either in Hillel, at the Heldrich, the Hyatt, the Seminary. All very nice facilities, with significant costs and drawbacks. In an Alumni center, we could host significantly more alumni events, in part because the alumni associations wouldn't need to spend significant amounts of money on space rentals. That means more non-athletics based alumni coming back to campus and having a connection with their school.

Did you know that Rutgers has a Hall of Distinguished Alumni, but doesn't actually have a hall for distinguished alumni. Previously, all the plaques were scattered around the hallways and rooms of Winants Hall, now I think there will be a relatively small digital exhibit in Van Nest's alumni house. How do we honor and preserve alumni history? What does it mean to be honored by the university? There's no place to bring students in and say, "look, your experience is made possible by people like this. These are the people who had your experience and look what they did with it. These are the heights you Rutgers degree can take you."

The Rutgers inn is...fine? Adequate? It's not even close to what this would be and it's very isolated.

The Rutgers Visitor center is excellent for tours of prospective and admitted students. But for bringing back alumni outside of football it's isolated, small, and its displays are both outdated and hard to update. It's really there for the visitor to the university who knows nothing, not the friend or alumnus coming back to campus.

In summary,
An Alumni Center is not a vague alumni oasis, nor is it a mere collection of rental and recreational rooms. The first is a waste and the second is a student center. It's a space to re-engage with Rutgers alumni that aren't interested in Athletics, honor Alumni that contribute to the school, and bring people on campus in the heart of campus rather than in the boonies on Busch. It's also a way to keep event dollars (from Greek formals, Rutgers departments, etc.) On campus.

Last edited:
I get the idea and it sounds great. I think investing in alumni related or available space is important and I’d love to see an expansion in scope and purpose of the Rutgers Club. I’m not dismissing the concept of an alumni center but I think it’s important to understand the realities. It’s also important to remember these facilities are going to charge room rental and catering costs like any other as they’re going to be expected to generate revenue not subsidize alumni clubs.

The UNC club you site is a private club with membership fees. It’s a more elaborate Rutgers Club. It’s managed by a private club operator and not a general alumni space. It describes itself the way you portray it buts it’s ClubCorp and while it related to UNC it is essentially a private business/social club. I’ve worked with many ClubCorp facilities.

The reality is that these facilities are event and meeting facilities. It doesn’t mean they aren’t important but let’s not lose sight of the fact that attracting alumni to campus is rooted in good programming. Facilities can help and they’re an important tool but they aren’t the attraction or reason people come back to campus.

I get the idea and it sounds great. I think investing in alumni related or available space is important and I’d love to see an expansion in scope and purpose of the Rutgers Club. I’m not dismissing the concept of an alumni center but I think it’s important to understand the realities. It’s also important to remember these facilities are going to charge room rental and catering costs like any other as they’re going to be expected to generate revenue not subsidize alumni clubs.

The UNC club you site is a private club with membership fees. It’s a more elaborate Rutgers Club. It’s managed by a private club operator and not a general alumni space. It describes itself the way you portray it buts it’s ClubCorp and while it related to UNC it is essentially a private business/social club. I’ve worked with many ClubCorp facilities.

The reality is that these facilities are event and meeting facilities. It doesn’t mean they aren’t important but let’s not lose sight of the fact that attracting alumni to campus is rooted in good programming. Facilities can help and they’re an important tool but they aren’t the attraction or reason people come back to campus.

From what I can see with the different alumni centers, they have differing purposes and ideas. Ideally these facilities would not charge room rental for the RUAA (only catering costs) and would charge steeply discounted pricing for alumni clubs and charter organizations. That's one easy way to free up budget for programming. The facility would acquire revenue through party and room rentals from the numerous other organizations on campus. (Receptions are held in classrooms/hallways on a consistent basis because there's a lack of appropriate space. This would be significantly nicer.)

From what I can tell, the UNC club is both; the Carolina Club portion is exactly as you describe. The rest of the facility is much more of general event space.
https://alumni.unc.edu/about-the-gaa/history/
As it sounds like you've had experience with it, what's your opinion on a private club vs. something like the current Rutgers club? Upsides, downsides?

I entirely agree.

Along the lines of programming, going back about 10 years or so, for what may have been a couple consecutive seasons, and perhaps coincidentally on the heels of the 2006 season and uptick in football program interest and season ticket sales, McCormick hosted topical talks by professors on the day of home football game Saturdays as a way to bring awareness to the academic side of the university and the interesting research various departments were engaging in. I think it was in conjunction with a catered breakfast and can't remember if they charged for attending and, if so, how much it was.

I never got around to attending any because it conflicted with tailgate plans but I think they were held inside the Busch Campus Center (for relative proximity to the stadium once the event was over, maybe an hour before kickoff). This was before the Visitor Center was built on the portion of the yellow lot or I would think that type of event might be held there now if it was ever done again. I think it also coincides with the start of a practice/tradition that the AD continues to this day which is to present two professors with a commemorative football in the end zone during one of the game timeouts while briefly highlighting the research that those professors are being recognized for.

Not sure what type of attendance they would get at those pre-game events. I'm not sure how successful they were overall but I want to say that maybe one or more larger alumni gifts that Rutgers received in the subsequent years was from a wealthy alumnus that attended something like this and was motivated to donate based on being introduced to a particular field of research being done on campus.

Anyway, as we're discussing/debating here, I suppose an alumni center of some kind, shape, or form, could be the location of this type of gameday event that brings awareness of other ongoing university activities to alums who might otherwise only be on campus for a sporting event.

ADVERTISEMENT