ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers puts emphasis on experience, development with coaching hires

Win now philosophy, maybe Schiano is finally starting to feel some heat. Lord knows, he can do no wrong with some of our fanbase as we linger at the bottom of the conference year after year, but hopefully the administration is actually holding him accountable based on results on the field.

No sure why some are interpreting the offensive hires as GS feeling heat to win now. Of course the goal is to win as soon as possible, but these hires scream "develop offensive roster" to me. The offense overall and the QB's, OLine and receivers specifically, have underperformed for several years. Winning is an obvious byproduct of development but these specific hires are first and foremost about development

Last edited:
No sure why some are interpreting the offensive hires as GS feeling heat to win now. Of course the goal is to win as soon as possible, but these hire scream "develop offensive roster" to me. The offense overall and the QB's, OLine and receivers specifically, have underperformed for several years. Winning is an obvious byproduct of development but these specific hires are first and foremost about development
The route of having younger coaches and/or coaches with recruiting ties to the parochial schools did not work out. Who did Rutgers get as a result of having Augie and Nunzio?

As the article says, the player development on offense was subpar, but not so with defense. It may be that Greg inherited a better defense than offense, but the glaring deficiencies on offense for the last 3 years were easy to see.

This is kind of like a chicken/egg question. Can 3 star talent be developed to compete with teams loaded with 4 and 5 star talent? By compete, that does not necessarily mean win, but at least not get embarrassed on the field. I think the answer is yes, but it is a bit of an uphill battle.

First approach did not work out. Second approach hopefully yields better results on offense. It can't get any worse, can it?

Win now philosophy, maybe Schiano is finally starting to feel some heat. Lord knows, he can do no wrong with some of our fanbase as we linger at the bottom of the conference year after year, but hopefully the administration is actually holding him accountable based on results on the field.
Guess you were pushing to fire Pike after 3 years. Lord knows, he can do no right with some of our fans.

Basketball is much easier to rebuild. You need that one big breakthrough recruit. IMHO that was Cliff. Now we're seeing this snowballing into something bigger with the kids who are committing now.
All that being said, and I've mentioned this more than once, the thirty something to nothing blowouts by teams like Minnesota and Maryland have to stop.
If during year four we can't be within 4 touchdowns of these schools than I start to question the process.

Last edited:
Just wondering why you would give Pike time to rebuild but not GS. Never mind that football is much more difficult.
Schiano has more than a dozen years of mediocre football at best at Rutgers. Pike is on his first go round. Not that difficult a concept.

Reactions: RUaMoose
That is that poster's MO. Ignore is your friend. Been happier for it since using ignore.
More than 67,000 posts and your next post God willing might be the first one that actually has any relevancy to Rutgers athletics. Hope springs eternal.

Just wondering why you would give Pike time to rebuild but not GS. Never mind that football is much more difficult.
What exactly is Greg building? Results are getting worse, by the year. Year 3, and can't score a point vs the Gophers, & Maryland? Recruiting at the bottom of the league. Rutgers football is unwatchable. He's nowhere near the caliber coach of Steve Pikiell

I watched a Coach Sanders video where he told his team "I'm in my 50s and don't have time for you to mature - I want your best now."

That's how you get players to rise and be better than even they thought they were. Greg too often seems to expect under performance and to try and work around it.

The route of having younger coaches and/or coaches with recruiting ties to the parochial schools did not work out. Who did Rutgers get as a result of having Augie and Nunzio?

As the article says, the player development on offense was subpar, but not so with defense. It may be that Greg inherited a better defense than offense, but the glaring deficiencies on offense for the last 3 years were easy to see.

This is kind of like a chicken/egg question. Can 3 star talent be developed to compete with teams loaded with 4 and 5 star talent? By compete, that does not necessarily mean win, but at least not get embarrassed on the field. I think the answer is yes, but it is a bit of an uphill battle.

First approach did not work out. Second approach hopefully yields better results on offense. It can't get any worse, can it?
It couldn't possibly get worse on offense. The player development on defense showed that Harysmiak was a much better coach than Gleeson, Campinale, and Hoffman.

Reactions: Jimpeg
It couldn't possibly get worse on offense. The player development on defense showed that Harysmiak was a much better coach than Gleeson, Campinale, and Hoffman.
Would be curious on the decision on Robb Smith. He had a good year at Duke. But then he left for personal reasons, so he probably would have left Rutgers too. But a person saying they have left on their own accord can often be a kind way of not broadcasting said person was going to get fired.

Back to RU, the defense looks good. We can debate metrics, etc, but the reality is the defense does really well until they are put out there after multiple offensive three and outs and get exhausted. We were also missing key parts this past year due to injury.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Of course the goal is to win as soon as possible, but these hires scream "develop offensive roster" to me. The offense overall and the QB's, OLine and receivers specifically, have underperformed for several years.

Completely agree.

I keep saying recruit the south
Get coaches who know how/where to do it
That's how Army turned around (among other things)
Coach Sanders is going for the Florida players (its not that cold in Boulder apparently)

"With a few exceptions, however, Florida certainly hasn’t been a recruiting hotbed for CU. But, that’s changing in a hurry with new head coach Deion Sanders.

“I love my Florida boys,” said Sanders, who grew up in Fort Myers and starred at Florida State before his Hall of Fame NFL career. “I know what they’re gonna give me, I know who they are, I know how they were raised, and we have tremendous relationships bringing those kids from Florida...

"We all have ties in some way and another to Florida,” Sanders said. “And I love my Florida boys. It’s just something about them that I adore. I think if you track down every successful team in college football, you’re gonna track down some Florida boys that they’re making a tremendous difference."

No sure why some are interpreting the offensive hires as GS feeling heat to win now. Of course the goal is to win as soon as possible, but these hires scream "develop offensive roster" to me. The offense overall and the QB's, OLine and receivers specifically, have underperformed for several years. Winning is an obvious byproduct of development but these specific hires are first and foremost about development
Which is why he'll fail

No sure why some are interpreting the offensive hires as GS feeling heat to win now. Of course the goal is to win as soon as possible, but these hires scream "develop offensive roster" to me. The offense overall and the QB's, OLine and receivers specifically, have underperformed for several years. Winning is an obvious byproduct of development but these specific hires are first and foremost about
development

There’s no specific pressure to win right now but it would boost recruiting. Once we have a stud WR like Carroo or Sanu, we will be able to win. But that type of player is missing from the roster. Probably need to develop him.

There’s no specific pressure to win right now but it would boost recruiting. Once we have a stud WR like Carroo or Sanu, we will be able to win. But that type of player is missing from the roster. Probably need to develop him.
just crawl under a rock and go away. You are an absolute joke. Buffoon is too kind

Short story is Schiano tried to get the higher ranked recruits with the previous coaching staff. He finally realizes with NIL that he not getting them now and would be lucky to get high 3 stars. As a result he has to change course and hire coaches to develop kids. After Ash, he should have been doing that all along. Must be nice to have a long term contract.

Wow, do you ever just respond to a post without making false accusations or personal comments?
how long do you feel it takes to turn a bad football program, like Schiano inherited, into a respectably one ?
Does the type of conference program is in have a role in the length of time it takes to go from the basement to the penthouse?
Is being a top program by year 3 the timeline for excellence?

Hope you don't my reply is a personal attack on you like you felt this reply "Guess you were pushing to fire Pike after 3 years. Lord knows, he can do no right with some of our fans." was.

how long do you feel it takes to turn a bad football program, like Schiano inherited, into a respectably one ?
Does the type of conference program is in have a role in the length of time it takes to go from the basement to the penthouse?
Is being a top program by year 3 the timeline for excellence?

Hope you don't my reply is a personal attack on you like you felt this reply "Guess you were pushing to fire Pike after 3 years. Lord knows, he can do no right with some of our fans." was.
Nobody was expecting more than a competitive team in year 3 of his second rebuild, and certainly expecting him to field a team that wins 6 or 7 games in year 4 year is not being unrealistic in this day and age of the transfer portal. Maybe, just maybe, in year 3 of a rebuild we wouldn't be blanked by the likes of Minnesota and Maryland, mediocre programs at best, is that a program headed in the right direction? How about developing some players, unless Wimsatt can miraculously find a way to throw a ball in the general vicinity of his receivers, we don't even have a serviceable FBS QB on the roster. Recruiting has actually regressed. For all those who thought Fran Brown was overrated as a recruiter, I think they might, just might, be starting to understand how valuable he was to this staff. The Schiano supporters have set the bar so low that the mere fact the team can put on their uniforms and find the field on Saturday is thought of as moving the program in the right direction.

Last edited:
Coach Sanders is going for the Florida players (its not that cold in Boulder apparently)

"With a few exceptions, however, Florida certainly hasn’t been a recruiting hotbed for CU. But, that’s changing in a hurry with new head coach Deion Sanders.

“I love my Florida boys,” said Sanders, who grew up in Fort Myers and starred at Florida State before his Hall of Fame NFL career. “I know what they’re gonna give me, I know who they are, I know how they were raised, and we have tremendous relationships bringing those kids from Florida...

"We all have ties in some way and another to Florida,” Sanders said. “And I love my Florida boys. It’s just something about them that I adore. I think if you track down every successful team in college football, you’re gonna track down some Florida boys that they’re making a tremendous difference."

..Agree on Florida, but I don't think anyone would compare them in recruiting prowess ...Deion is a top tier recruiter..Ironically Greg is only 1 year older than Prime..

Reactions: ashokan

No other vicinity is ever going to be our bread and butter. New Jersey, New York, Eastern PA, including Philly, are our bread and butter, and where we have to recruit well. This is where we should be getting 10-15 players, because we can get better players from here than anywhere else due to proximity. The South, specifically Florida, is supplementary. We should be getting a max of 6 players from Florida. Ash’s biggest mistake was not adequately recruiting FL, which left the team short of talent and speed.

Reactions: ashokan
Nobody was expecting more than a competitive team in year 3 of his second rebuild, and certainly expecting him to field a team that wins 6 or 7 games in year 4 year is not being unrealistic in this day and age of the transfer portal. Maybe, just maybe, in year 3 of a rebuild we wouldn't be blanked by the likes of Minnesota and Maryland, mediocre programs at best, is that a program headed in the right direction? How about developing some players, unless Wimsatt can miraculously find a way to throw a ball in the general vicinity of his receivers, we don't even have a serviceable FBS QB on the roster. Recruiting has actually regressed. For all those who thought Fran Brown was overrated as a recruiter, I think they might, just might, be starting to understand how valuable he was to this staff. The Schiano supporters have set the bar so low that the mere fact the team can put on their uniforms and find the field on Saturday is thought of as moving the program in the right direction.
So you were singing his praises 1st year right🙄

So you were singing his praises 1st year right🙄
Schiano has a history of mediocre football at Rutgers, you do understand that, right? He finished in the top 20 only one year, 2006, the year legends are made of, or hyped to the max. You know 2006, the year we won the national championship by beating that traditional football powerhouse Louisville, oh sorry, that was a regular season game and we followed that win up 9 days later by losing by 20 points to another traditional powerhouse, Cincinatti. Schiano must have been born under a very lucky star, he followed two awful coaches at Rutgers and stabilized the programs, that he did, but that is about it, so yes, I was not one of the Schiano butt boys clamoring for his return. Now having said that, I always want Rutgers to win and since all of you football experts on this board were so adamant that he was the only human being capable of bringing us a winner in the B1G I was willing to go along and support him until reality has set in. Now, let's see how honest you are, how is his second tenure going so far, and what is the protectory of the program under his leadership if it stays its current course?

Schiano has a history of mediocre football at Rutgers, you do understand that, right? He finished in the top 20 only one year, 2006, the year legends are made of, or hyped to the max. You know 2006, the year we won the national championship by beating that traditional football powerhouse Louisville, oh sorry, that was a regular season game and we followed that win up 9 days later by losing by 20 points to another traditional powerhouse, Cincinatti. Schiano must have been born under a very lucky star, he followed two awful coaches at Rutgers and stabilized the programs, that he did, but that is about it, so yes, I was not one of the Schiano butt boys clamoring for his return. Now having said that, I always want Rutgers to win and since all of you football experts on this board were so adamant that he was the only human being capable of bringing us a winner in the B1G I was willing to go along and support him until reality has set in. Now, let's see how honest you are, how is his second tenure going so far, and what is the protectory of the program under his leadership if it stays its current course?
It’s top 15 with 11 wins. You make it sound like finished ranked in the top 25 is easy. How many times did Pike end the season in the top 25? GS was so lucky that he got to coach Rutgers. Born on 3rd base, right?

Reactions: goodman2084
It’s top 15 with 11 wins. You make it sound like finished ranked in the top 25 is easy. How many times did Pike end the season in the top 25? GS was so lucky that he got to coach Rutgers. Born on 3rd base, right?
What are you afraid of, just can't answer a simple question honestly? Oh well. time to move on from you.

..Agree on Florida, but I don't think anyone would compare them in recruiting prowess ...Deion is a top tier recruiter..Ironically Greg is only 1 year older than Prime..

Army got off a 15 year losing streak by recruiting the southern states more.
When Monken arrived from GA Southern Army only had 2 guys from FL and 7 total from all the southern states.
After a couple years Army had 25 in total and they started winning
Of course Monken was also a good coach.
Greg used to know FL because of Miami but I dont know if that's still true

When Al Golden was coaching Temple he said he knew he couldn't compete for recruits with PSU, RU, SU, WV and others. So he decided to get the biggest players he could even if not highly ranked. He ran more of an option offense and gave away the QB recruit chases he couldn't win. Temple actually got good after that.

RU should also try and dial-in its recruit strategy because RU doesn't get many top guys.
If Army can go toe-to-toe with Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Michigan with a bunch of 2 and 3 stars from down below than Rutgers should look at some of same players.
Guys at UCF and other less sexy FL programs might jump at chance to play B1G
Of course GS would need to hire some coaches from down there.
If Monken crew can recruit there so could RU - no need for a celeb

All I know is I heard in 2002 that a 250 mile radius was going to define a walled "State of Rutgers" that was going to keep NJ recruits at RU and its never worked

ADVERTISEMENT