ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers ranked #37 in Fortune Magazine's latest business school rankings.

Knight177lb

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 3, 2014
Rutgers Full-Time MBA program has been ranked No. 37 in the U.S. by Fortune in a recent survey of the “Best MBA Programs of 2021” [see report]. This placed RBS as the No. 16 public business school in the nation and, again, the No. 1 public b-school in the Northeast.

In its first ever MBA ranking, Fortune’s team of experienced editors wrote, “We looked for programs that not only see their graduates head into good jobs right out of the gate (with high starting salaries) but also have a track record of placing alumni into the highest echelons of corporate America. Salary, school brand, and leadership trajectory: That’s the core of our rankings".

This needs to reach every student, parent, teacher, and guidance counselor in every homeschool, private school, and public school in New Jersey.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Mdk, ALL of our milestones and top rankings need to reach more New Jerseyans. I know a large part of our residents not knowing how good Rutgers is is due to the fact that our NINE million residents don’t have TV stations, but even I know in 2021 there are a zillion ways to get the word out. About five or six years ago, I was at one of my nephews games and started shooting the breeze with someone who turned out to be a high school guidance counselor. Off the top of my head, I started mentioning some great things about the university. She might as well have been from Nevada or Iowa. She knew almost none of them. I asked her if Rutgers sends out information about achievements and she said rarely.

A survey not involving US News.

I think Fortune's (Best MBA Programs) school rankings are reasonable and are based for the most part upon the Median Base Salary of new grads and average GMAT scores.

Was any school ranking surprising for anyone.

The fact that Penn State was not listed/ranked was surprising to me. Also Case Western University lower ranking was also a little surprising.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
A survey not involving US News.

I think Fortune's (Best MBA Programs) school rankings are reasonable and are based for the most part upon the Median Base Salary of new grads and average GMAT scores.

Was any school ranking surprising for anyone.

The fact that Penn State was not listed/ranked was surprising to me. Also Case Western University lower ranking was also a little surprising.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Yes, Fortune bases their rankings on things that actually matter. Job placement after graduation is also a big factor. US News has public opinion which counts for 50% which has nothing to do with the things that matter. I wish total cost compared to starting salaries was used. That would show what a value Rutgers is.

Nothing surprised me in the top 50. Some people are complaining Michigan and USC aren't in it, but hey, this isn't about your feelings, it's about cold hard facts.

Nothing surprised me in the top 50. Some people are complaining Michigan and USC aren't in it, but hey, this isn't about your feelings, it's about cold hard facts.

I think UCLA-Anderson was another conspicuous absence. Between that and Michigan-Ross and USC-Marshall, as you mentioned, I figured something may have disqualified them from the ranking such as not providing certain data on time. All would likely be top 20-25 level programs by this ranking methodology, so even if Rutgers got pushed down to ~40th it's still a pretty solid ranking. Will be interesting to see if RU can make a push towards the Top 25 overall/Top 10 public in coming years, not impossible over time with the right improvements and leadership.

Howard at #30 is probably one of the bigger surprises but it has likely been overlooked for many years or not gotten as much recognition as it may have deserved through the popular USNWR and BusinessWeek rankings over the past couple decades.

I think UCLA-Anderson was another conspicuous absence. Between that and Michigan-Ross and USC-Marshall, as you mentioned, I figured something may have disqualified them from the ranking such as not providing certain data on time. All would likely be top 20-25 level programs by this ranking methodology, so even if Rutgers got pushed down to ~40th it's still a pretty solid ranking. Will be interesting to see if RU can make a push towards the Top 25 overall/Top 10 public in coming years, not impossible over time with the right improvements and leadership.

Howard at #30 is probably one of the bigger surprises but it has likely been overlooked for many years or not gotten as much recognition as it may have deserved through the popular USNWR and BusinessWeek rankings over the past couple decades.

Maybe those schools didn't provide the data on time, but I find it hard to believe. If they weren't on time, what does it say about the culture there? Schools always want good rankings. I admit Fortune's list isn't as highly regarded as US News, but Fortune is pretty well known.

Howard doesn't surprise me at all. The business school isn't nearly as competitive as undergrad, but the given the name recognition, their grads probably have no problem getting high paying jobs.

Maybe those schools didn't provide the data on time, but I find it hard to believe. If they weren't on time, what does it say about the culture there? Schools always want good rankings. I admit Fortune's list isn't as highly regarded as US News, but Fortune is pretty well known.

Howard doesn't surprise me at all. The business school isn't nearly as competitive as undergrad, but the given the name recognition, their grads probably have no problem getting high paying jobs.

It's not a good look to ignore participation in a new ranking from a reputable name but it was more than a small handful. I didn't notice the blurb when I read the methodology the first time but apparently 31 of 100 programs did not respond to Fortune's questionnaire so they could only rank the remaining 69 that responded.

Oh well, there's no legit complaint if some schools chose not to return the questionnaire...their loss. I suspect Fortune will get greater participation going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT