ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers rebuttles for the upcoming cocktail party season?

e5fdny

Legend
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2002
How much is the average NJ taxpayer on the hook for Rutgers ATHLETICS and just athletics?

Feel free to add other questions with respectable answers as we move into this season.

How much is the average NJ taxpayer on the hook for Rutgers ATHLETICS and just athletics?

Feel free to add other questions with respectable answers as we move into this season.

Let's start here:

In 2015, "Direct Institutional Support" to Rutgers Athletics was $12,926,813.00. This is the amount of money commonly known as "the subsidy", i.e. the money that the athletic department gets from the school.

Rutgers' total budgetary revenue for 2015 was $1,064,020,227.00

Of that, $193,013,570.00 came from New Jersey state appropriations.

So in doing the math, 18% of the school's total budgetary revenue comes from New Jersey tax dollars.

18% of the school's contribution to athletics is $2,326,826.00.

In 2015, gross income tax revenues were $13.25 billion. The average per capita tax bill was $1,359.00 - note that this is per capita, not per tax filer.

This means that, on average, Rutgers athletics costs each person in New Jersey...

24 cents.

So whenever somebody bitches to you about their tax dollars going to Rutgers Athletics, reach into your pocket, hand 'em two bits and say, "Here. Now we're even."

Of course, you could also remind them that none of that money goes to the football program, which in 2015 had operating revenues of $26 million and operating expenses of $18 million. The total amount of Direct Institutional Support for Rutgers football is zero. The total amount of Student Fees directed to Rutgers Football is zero. As is the case with most large athletic programs, all the outside money pays for the other sports.

Last edited:
Let's start here:

In 2015, "Direct Institutional Support" to Rutgers Athletics was $12,926,813.00. This is the amount of money commonly known as "the subsidy", i.e. the money that the athletic department gets from the school.

So in doing the math, 18% of the school's total budgetary revenue comes from New Jersey tax dollars.

In 2015, gross income tax revenues were $13.25 billion. The average per capita tax bill was $1,359.00 - note that this is per capita, not per tax filer.

This means that, on average, Rutgers athletics costs each person in New Jersey...

24 cents.

So whenever somebody bitches to you about their tax dollars going to Rutgers Athletics, reach into your pocket, hand 'em two bits and say, "Here. Now we're even."

Of course, you could also remind them that none of that money goes to the football program, which in 2015 had operating revenues of $26 million and operating expenses of $18 million. The total amount of Direct Institutional Support for Rutgers football is zero. The total amount of Student Fees directed to Rutgers Football is zero. As is the case with most large athletic programs, all the outside money pays for the other sports.
Or you could remind them that the B1G is a financial machine and Rutgers gets a full share annually starting in 2021...and that is estimated at $57 million annually, compared to the last AAC payout we received of $7 million.

I've started telling people when they openly wonder if Rutgers should have gone to the B1G that it I s unbelievable to me how F'in stupid some people are (not them of course...), starting with that half assed Temple Grad that grinds away in the newspaper against Rutgers.

Rutgers is like a smart kid from a small poor town getting a full scholarship to Harvard and his neighbors telling him he should go to Middlesex Community College because it'll be more comfortable socially and emotionally for him.

Last edited:
Q. 136 - 0 ???!!!

A. Humminna, humminna, ....
I ask if they watched the 78-0 game? Usually answer is "no". I ask if they watched a good chunk of highlights. Usual answer is "no". Then I tell the I sat through the whole game and every home game for the last 27 years...and that I'm buying more season tix...so stfu.

Just the fact that we have a thread on this shows how pussified we are. Tell people to STFU.

Reactions: mildone
be1e749a0c4df160380e655dbd1ac614.jpg

Let's start here:

24 cents.

SOLID work. Can't believe you didn't get more likes.

I ask if they watched the 78-0 game? Usually answer is "no". I ask if they watched a good chunk of highlights. Usual answer is "no". Then I tell the I sat through the whole game and every home game for the last 27 years...and that I'm buying more season tix...so stfu.

Just the fact that we have a thread on this shows how pussified we are. Tell people to STFU.
You don't live here anymore. So you're not around it as much.

But do appreciate your earlier effort in the thread. Thanks

Let's start here:

24 cents.

Awesome job!

I get plenty of it...I'm the only Rutgers person a lot of people up here know...
Keep fighting the good fight up there. But it's still not the same. The greater the distance you get from NJ the softer the drumbeat.

Sometime I feel like Alvy Singer does when the topic comes up...

I imagine E5 in a smoking jacket with a pipe drinking a Manhattan listening to the Girl From Ipanema in his Penthouse in NYC eating steak tartare.And he is discussing Rutgers football? Nah I don't think so.

When an SEC guy (Vandy exempt) talks smack about the Michigan game. Let him know that you can actually read the game program, and you don't have to count the number of letters over the door when you take a leak at half time.

I imagine E5 in a smoking jacket with a pipe drinking a Manhattan listening to the Girl From Ipanema in his Penthouse in NYC eating steak tartare.And he is discussing Rutgers football? Nah I don't think so.
It won't be in City (we don't do my brother's UWS place on Riverside until the Parade in March) but the rest is surprisingly spot on except it is more of a blues vibe than a jazzy one.

And sometimes I mix it up with a Monte Cristo instead of the pipe.

Also it's not discussing, it's more defending.

Last edited:
Let's start here:

24 cents.

Excellent info. Only thing you might want to add, in case people didn't know, is that there are now about 9 million people in NJ, which is how one gets the roughly 25 cents per person figure generating the $2.326MM, which is the 18% of the athletic budget that comes from taxpayers. And, like you said, I always tell people that football is revenue positive, whereas it's the athletic department that is subsidized, since football doesn't make as much as the top schools do (soon to be fixed).

Let's start here:

24 cents.

Well done. And then you say " you gotta a freakin problem wit dat?"

I NEVER have to deal with that in Oregon.

Ha. Like that's ever stopped me before.
And why would it? Is not like it's necrophilia, which would be just totally wrong.

There are questions as to the gender-nature of the act though. Do we take the gender identify as of the date of entering a coma? Or do we have to consider the possible unexpressed gender-identity changes that might be taking place in the mind of the comatose person?

Not that it should matter, but you might have to accept the idea that sleeping with the comatose may require bisexuality.

You're on a roll. :)

Can we get a list of the other schools these people went to...for example if they went to Ped a good response is "less than child rape settlements you guys are paying" or Shoe "less than the murse Bobby G stole" or Cuse "less than a ticket to sit with 3 other fans at the Dome and watch you play football"

I hate when ignorant assholes attack RU... I hate it more when RU Grads don't defend the University...
I'm not even an RU grad and I regularly defend the school. Local media, like NJ.COM, have done a number on people though. It wasn't until last year, or the year before, when I realized that the football program (and men's basketball program) operate in the black. Local media stories had me thinking the football program was costing students tons of money - which is simply not true at all.

I do think the school needs to figure out the formula to getting a much more loyal alumni base. I don't mean so much in sports as in endowments. Well, both would be nice.

If it is a financial angle attack, the earlier analysis is good re: taxpayers. Basically, especially with football, it is not the taxpayers money that is spent. It is the donors money and the season ticket holders money and football team's money. And soon the football and basketball teams will get Big Ten money and pay much much more of every other athletic teams budgets too.

But if it is a case of "why does Rutgers even try to play at this level.." thing... then ask them why New Jersey doesn't deserve one State University offering athletics at the highest level when some flyover states have 3 schools fielding teams at that level?

What is it about New Jersey residents that they have no state pride? Why don't they want to provide top level athletics to the children who want to stay home and attend the State U and graduate in the new jersey and live in New Jersey and become fellow New Jersey taxpayers?

(turn the tables on them)

And how about this.. Rutgers football per game attendance is greater than each of the Yankees and Mets per game average attendance and it is more than half that of the Jets and Giants and Eagles.

Last edited:
But if it is a case of "why does Rutgers even try to play at this level.." thing... then ask them why New Jersey doesn't deserve one State University offering athletics at the highest level when some flyover states have 3 schools fielding teams at that level?

What is it about New Jersey residents that they have no state pride? Why don't they want to provide top level athletics to the children who want to stay home and attend the State U and graduate in the new jersey and live in New Jersey and become fellow New Jersey taxpayers?

(turn the tables on them)
This is the one I think a lot of us will be asked.

Let's be honest -- the losing is the reason people question the money. If you're not winning, not selling out, people just assume you're losing money. Even though even nj.com, in one of its innumerable slide shows, made it clear that the Olympic sports (I hate that term; the phrase IS non-revenue) lose money all over the place, there aren't big numbers. But they see the football coaches' salaries and how much stadium expansion costs and really don't think much about exactly where the money comes from.

The good news is, while it's entirely valid to ask the question, there is an even more valid answer -- and that's BEFORE the full Big Ten share comes in. As far as what we're doing in he Big Ten competitively, well, we know not very much. But the improved revenues will pay for improved facilites, and so on, and so on, and so on, and none of it will come out of their pockets.

QED

..t the improved revenues will pay for improved facilites, and so on, and so on, and so on, and none of it will come out of their pockets.

So when they intimate that it is expensive and why bother trying to be at this level... maybe we ask them what business is it of theirs? Why do you care? That will show us what they think in terms of where the money comes from and when they are proven wrong that should shut them up and educate them.

Let's start here:

24 cents.

Posting this to my social media sites so maybe some of the people I know at school will stop complaining about how much football is costing them.

This is the one I think a lot of us will be asked.

Short memories. RU went to a bowl first year in the B1G. We had one of the longest bowl win streaks.

Oh, and all the money B1G will be giving in the next few years will not only save the taxpayers but make us "too rich to fail" for any extended period. I would point out that schools like Wisconsin and MSU were totally irrelevant in football and considered completely 2nd fiddle to UM and tOSU up until recently.

ADVERTISEMENT