ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers requiring students to be vaccinated by next fall

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
If a student isn't vaccinated, then he or she cannot attend class. NJ has been doing pretty well among the states in getting people vaccinated, and so let's hope this target is realistic.

Our Path Forward – COVID-19 Vaccination and the Fall Term

Thank you for posting this. I'm surprised the mandate doesn't apply to faculty and staff, who are merely "highly encouraged" to get vaccinated. Note that vaccination means that there will be no problem having full attendance at football games, although Rutgers might, I suppose, require masks for the sake of unvaccinated persons in the crowd. I am surprised by the negative comments on the football board's thread, but I note that those complaining are largely those who have been (wrongly) pooh-poohing the pandemic from the first. (e.g. the poster who believes the virus is "harmless." )

Reactions: Rutgers56
I work for in HR for a large healthcare organization and we are not going to mandate the COVID 19 vaccine while it is under Emergency Use Authorization. But once it is fully approved, likely will be added to the list of things like seasonal flu and MMR that we require employees to get vaccinated against as a condition of employment.

I work for in HR for a large healthcare organization and we are not going to mandate the COVID 19 vaccine while it is under Emergency Use Authorization. But once it is fully approved, likely will be added to the list of things like seasonal flu and MMR that we require employees to get vaccinated against as a condition of employment.

Won't it take a long time to get from EUA to full approval? Does it really make sense to have employees potentially walking around with Covid??

I don't know the expected timing of full approval but I understand it is full speed ahead.
We've been pretty successful on a voluntary basis.
Total workforce (north of 75,000 employees) is about 75% have taken the vaccine. For nurses it is about 85%, physicians over 95%. At this point we haven't turned any employees away for lack of supply.
That suggests our workforce is close to having "herd "immunity levels already.
Also says something about the relative educational levels of the vaccine hesitant.
Will the faculty and staff follow a similar pattern? I'd like to think so.

Reactions: RUnTeX
That suggests our workforce is close to having "herd "immunity levels already.
Also says something about the relative educational levels of the vaccine hesitant.
Will the faculty and staff follow a similar pattern? I'd like to think so.
My guess is even without Rutgers mandating it for faculty & staff, the vaccination rate among those two groups will be pretty significant, esp. faculty. Staff numbers across campus must be greater than faculty so if they can get 6/7 out of 10 to vaccinate it should help toward the herd immunity goal.

My guess is even without Rutgers mandating it for faculty & staff, the vaccination rate among those two groups will be pretty significant, esp. faculty. Staff numbers across campus must be greater than faculty so if they can get 6/7 out of 10 to vaccinate it should help toward the herd immunity goal.
And who knows maybe, after some in-house polling or surveys, Rutgers knows most of their folks have already or are in the process of getting the vaccine.

Reactions: RUnTeX
ADVERTISEMENT