ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Roster

Aug 14, 2010

Looks like, Angelo, Benner and Robinson moved on. Gapas must have decided to come back(he did participate in Senior night with the other 3).
No Asa Garcia or Estevez(Hwt is crowded).
33 currently on Roster.

Looks like, Angelo, Benner and Robinson moved on. Gapas must have decided to come back(he did participate in Senior night with the other 3).
No Asa Garcia or Estevez(Hwt is crowded).
33 currently on Roster.
🤔...
1. No weight for Fongaro? Is he 141 or 149?

2. Sebastiano Nini (141) quietly transferred in from Dayton. Have to imagine Alex commits soon and jumpstarts 2024 recruiting 🤞.

3. Why are Peterson and White listed as So instead of R-Fr? Maybe others too.

4. Why list Alvarez at 133 again?

5. Surprised Gapas is still on it since he completed 4 yrs.

6. I can't imagine we'll have six 285s by Nov, even with carrying an extra with Hamilton playing FB and joining later in the season, but 🤷🏻‍♂️. Any candidates to leave? Is Esposito wrestling his 6th yr? Could O'Donnell leave as he has the least chance to see matches?

7. Looks like Asa Garcia transferred to NAIA school Marian U in Indiana back on 5/17/22:

Last edited:
Definitely some interesting changes

- Garcia’s departure is somewhat surprising given that he was only here for one semester but probably didn’t see a path for himself since we overflowing with talent at the lower weights. He also wasn’t very impressive in his limited opportunities.

- I know the weights don’t mean too much right now but still odd seeing Sammy still listed at 133, Clark down at 149 now, and Gayer the only 165 on the roster.

- Sebastiano Nini on the roster, I’m assuming that makes his brother essentially a lock at this point.

Definitely some interesting changes

- Garcia’s departure is somewhat surprising given that he was only here for one semester but probably didn’t see a path for himself since we overflowing with talent at the lower weights. He also wasn’t very impressive in his limited opportunities.

- I know the weights don’t mean too much right now but still odd seeing Sammy still listed at 133, Clark down at 149 now, and Gayer the only 165 on the roster.

- Sebastiano Nini on the roster, I’m assuming that makes his brother essentially a lock at this point.
Clark was listed at 149 all last year on the roster.....
To me not a huge issue, but it should not be that difficult to change weights to be a little more accurate and eligibility should be very easy(White and Peterson exhibit A)

They fixed the roster and now have Fongaro listed at 141. Do we expect all those 285s to be here in Nov?

Thought I read, Colucci will be at 197 and unfortunately for wrestling I don't expect Hamilton to contribute. His role in Football will only be bigger this season for the team.
Colucci will be at 197. Had a great workout with Sammy today. Looks like Sammy was granted a year of eligibility back by the NCAA. Great news for Sammy and Rutgers wrestling

So Alvarez is going into his sophomore year on paper? That’s awesome. Will technically be a senior in his 7th year removed from high school, potentially 8th if he ever redshirts. Wonder if Micic will still be wrestling at that point.

Does anyone know if Turley was granted a medical redshirt last season? If so, it would make him a sophomore this upcoming season like Alvarez.

Looks like a good number of guys certified on Track already:

NameEligibleWt. ClassGrade
Dean PetersonY141RS Fr.
Joe HeilmanY141RS Sr.
Dylan ShawverY141So.
Joe OlivieriY149So.
Joe FongaroY157Fr.
Anthony WhiteY157RS Fr.
Sebastiano NiniY157So.
Andrew GapasY157RS Sr.
Andrew ClarkY165RS So.
Connor O`NeillY174RS So.
Luke GayerY174Fr.
Robert KanniardY174RS So.
John PoznanskiY197Jr.
Brian SoldanoY197Fr.
Jackson TurleyY197RS So.
Boone McdermottY285RS Jr.
Stratos KantanasY285Fr.
Kyle EpperlyY285RS So.
John O`DonnellY285RS Fr.
Devon BrittonY141RS So.
Brandan ChletsosY149Fr.
Nicollo ColucciY285RS So.
Alfred DesantisY165RS So.
Michael ToranzoNRS Fr.
William JanzerNRS Sr.
Nico MessinaNJr.
Nick RaimoNRS Jr.
Eric FreemanNFr.
Aaron KurzerNFr.
Alex EspositoNRS Sr.
Dylan WeaverNRS Fr.
Sammy AlvarezNRS So.
PJ CasaleNFr.
Michael CettaNSo.

Looks like everyone except the following people have certified their weight as per Trackwrestling:

Billy Janzer
Nick Raimo
Eric Freeman
Aaron Kurzer
Michael Cetta

Curious about Raimo, I wonder if he is still injured/recovering or what his status will be moving forward.

Interesting to see that Weaver certified at 157, so looks like he moving down to 149 which is a good move for him.

How many classes down can you go? Turley certified 197, can he still go 174?

How many classes down can you go? Turley certified 197, can he still go 174?
I believe the rule is still that you can only lose 1.5% of your weight per week down to 5% body fat. Depending on what his actual weight was but he can lose around 3lbs per week so it would be about 8 weeks if he is up near 197. That means he wouldn't be wrestling early in the season.

Last edited:
It's not too uncommon for people to cert two weights about their competition one, most who do wrestle early on at their ideal weight. If he weighed in at 184.1 he certs at 197, so that alone doesn't tell you how much over he is right now.

Reactions: MS-RU
I believe the rule is still that you can only lose 1.5% of your weight per week down to 5% body fat. Depending on what his actual weight was but he can lose around 3lbs per week so it would be about 8 weeks if he is up near 197. That means he wouldn't be wrestling early in the season.
Every wrestler was 4lbs from their wrestling weight today. Next week they will be 2lbs.

Every wrestler was 4lbs from their wrestling weight today. Next week they will be 2lbs.
What weight is Turley going? 197 to 174 seems like a big drop and we’re all assuming Soldano and Poz are our 184 guys.

It's not too uncommon for people to cert two weights about their competition one, most who do wrestle early on at their ideal weight. If he weighed in at 184.1 he certs at 197, so that alone doesn't tell you how much over he is right now.
Fair point

125: Shawver/Peterson

133: Heilmann-

141: Alvarez -

149: White-

157: Clark/DeSantis

165: O'Neill -

174: Turley -

184-Soldano/Poz-

197: Janzer

HWT: McDermott
Overall I like this. Would like to see Kannaird battle with Oneill at 165 as he seemed way better at that weight during his RS season.

We also seemingly don’t have a backup at 174 otherwise, unless we want to burn a RS from someone like Gayer. Kannaird at 165 would mean either he or Oneill could bump up if Turley, who is coming off some injuries, is unavailable for certain matches.

Overall I like this. Would like to see Kannaird battle with Oneill at 165 as he seemed way better at that weight during his RS season.

We also seemingly don’t have a backup at 174 otherwise, unless we want to burn a RS from someone like Gayer. Kannaird at 165 would mean either he or Oneill could bump up if Turley, who is coming off some injuries, is unavailable for certain matches.
Yea if Turley goes down that will be tuff.....Oneill is the 165lber, so he will not bump up. That would weaken two weight classes. Hopefully Turley can stay healthy, if not probably Freeman and/or Kannaird

Last edited:
Reactions: Jersey Boys
Everyone certified except Aaron Kurzer

Interesting to see that Janzer didn't weigh above 197 yet so hopefully he is able to continue to put on weight so he isn't undersized once the season gets underway.

NameEligibleWt. ClassGrade
Nico MessinaY
141​
Jr.
Dean PetersonY
141​
RS Fr.
Joe HeilmanY
141​
RS Sr.
Dylan ShawverY
141​
So.
Devon BrittonY
141​
RS So.
Nick RaimoY
149​
RS Jr.
Joe OlivieriY
149​
So.
Sammy AlvarezY
149​
RS So.
Brandan ChletsosY
149​
Fr.
Dylan WeaverY
157​
RS Fr.
Sebastiano NiniY
157​
So.
Andrew GapasY
157​
RS Sr.
Joe FongaroY
157​
Fr.
Anthony WhiteY
157​
RS Fr.
Michael CettaY
157​
So.
Andrew ClarkY
165​
RS So.
Alfred DesantisY
165​
RS So.
Connor O`NeillY
174​
RS So.
Luke GayerY
174​
Fr.
Robert KanniardY
174​
RS So.
Eric FreemanY
184​
Fr.
William JanzerY
197​
RS Sr.
Brian SoldanoY
197​
Fr.
Jackson TurleyY
197​
RS So.
John PoznanskiY
197​
Jr.
Michael ToranzoY
285​
RS Fr.
John O`DonnellY
285​
RS Fr.
Kyle EpperlyY
285​
RS So.
Boone McdermottY
285​
RS Jr.
Stratos KantanasY
285​
Fr.
PJ CasaleY
285​
Fr.
Nicollo ColucciY
285​
RS So.
Aaron KurzerNFr.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
It looks like he will be fighting for a spot at 157 or 165, but we haven't seen him progress and make that jump to the next level yet so it wouldn't be a shock to not see him in the lineup going forward.
Wouldn't shock me if he graduates in the spring and looks to transfer down a level as a grad transfer to someone like Rider.

It looks like he will be fighting for a spot at 157 or 165, but we haven't seen him progress and make that jump to the next level yet so it wouldn't be a shock to not see him in the lineup going forward.
Just to be clear, I asked because he wasn't listed in any of Messner's weight class competitions.

It’s a shame he didn’t (hasn’t yet?) reached his full potential. He was a total bear in high school and took 3rd in the national collegiate open in red shirt. I always thought he looked way better at 165 not sucking weight.

Reactions: mikemessner
Anyone have an idea when wrestle offs are? I would assume they are this week or weekend, but haven't heard anything.

ADVERTISEMENT