ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers rushing defense: where things are going awry...

mb5789

All American
Gold Member
Feb 2, 2005
Our rushing defense has been an issue this season, we currently rank 89th (out of 133 FBS teams) in rushing yards per game allowed at 161.3 ypg. On a per rush basis, Rutgers is even worse at 5.5 yards per carry allowed, which ranks 119th in the FBS. Mind you, this is also against some awful offenses relative to what we'll face later in the year.

Last year Rutgers ranked 45th in rushing defense (yards per game, 141.7) and 56th in yards per carry (4.0) over the course of a full season. So where is Rutgers getting beaten in the run game?

Two main areas: Outside runs and QB scrambles.

Here's how Rutgers' run defense performed against it's opponents this season on inside runs, outside runs and QB scrambles...

Virginia Tech
inside runs: 11/52 (4.7 ypc)
outside runs: 13/100 (7.7 ypc)
QB scrambles: 2/36 (18 ypc)

Akron
inside runs: 12/36 (3 ypc)
outside runs: 8/115 (14.4 ypc)
QB scrambles: 2/24 (12 ypc)

Howard
inside runs: 14/38 (2.7 ypc)
outside runs: 19/106 (5.6 ypc)
QB scrambles: 1/11 (11 ypc)

QB scrambles are more forgivable, as they're fairly infrequent and typically occur when a play breaks down. But the outside runs are gashing this run defense. I've noticed a few things on outside runs this year that I hope can change throughout the year.

1. Our LBs haven't been able to fight through the trash to get through the line nearly as often as they were last year. Toure and Jennings (along with Powell) did a great job of that last year.
  2. Our DEs haven't been getting the push needed in the run game and backs are able to break contain and bounce things outside more often than last season.
  3. On outside runs, opposing OTs and TEs have been very sticky to our LBs and Ss in pursuit which have opened holes to the outside.
  4. We have been whiffing on a LOT of tackles this year. Last season, we had 52 missed tackles in the run game all season in 13 games (4 missed tackles per game, 4th highest tackling grade on PFF) and this season alone we have 20 missed tackles in the run game already (6.7 missed tackles per game, 89th in tackling grade on PFF).

I wish it was one thing and it was an easy fix, but I think we're seeing a lot of young players getting more reps than anticipated (Djabome, Kaj Sanders, etc) along with veterans not getting the jobs expected of them done in the run game enough. These are problems that need to get fixed, but a lot easier to deal with when you're 3-0.

This is a good analysis. To be fair, if you take out the long Akron run for their last TD, that game’s outside run average drops to about 6 ypc. But point still stands. Harasymiak is going to to have to really earn his pay this year. Add in our question marks at the safety position and this defense is no where near as stout as we felt it would be coming in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT