ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers, RWJBarnabas Health partner to create academic health center

Very cool. doesnt RU already have a number of hospitals it already owns? Does this just expand their network? How is this different or the same as other university systems like Pitt?

Very cool. doesnt RU already have a number of hospitals it already owns? Does this just expand their network? How is this different or the same as other university systems like Pitt?

This partnership is going to be great for Rutgers University Medical School going forward.

The structure (similar to Pitt but but somewhat different) gives Rutgers the coupling of the Academic (Medical School) side with Clinical (Partnership Hospitals) side which will allow Rutgers expand to expand residency programs and obtain additional future research funding (NIH etc).

The structure for Pitt couples the Academic Side (University of Pittsburgh/Medical School) with the Clinical Side (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center/Hospitals).

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) is a $12.8 billion integrated global health network consisting of over 20 hospitals employing over 60,000 employees.

This partnership will definitely help Rutgers obtain additional medical research funding going forward.

I noticed in the article Rutgers specifically hopes to be able to obtain greater National Institute of Health (NIH) funding going forward.

The Top 10 Research Universities receiving NIH research funding for 2016 are as follows:

Johns Hopkins University
University of California-San Francisco
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
University of Washington
Stanford University
Duke University
University of North Carolina
Yale University

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
This partnership is going to be great for Rutgers University Medical School going forward.

The structure (similar to Pitt but but somewhat different) gives Rutgers the coupling of the Academic (Medical School) side with Clinical (Partnership Hospitals) side which will allow Rutgers expand to expand residency programs and obtain additional future research funding (NIH etc).

The structure for Pitt couples the Academic Side (University of Pittsburgh/Medical School) with the Clinical Side (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center/Hospitals).

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) is a $12.8 billion integrated global health network consisting of over 20 hospitals employing over 60,000 employees.

This partnership will definitely help Rutgers obtain additional medical research funding going forward.

I noticed in the article Rutgers specifically hopes to be able to obtain greater National Institute of Health (NIH) funding going forward.

The Top 10 Research Universities receiving NIH research funding for 2016 are as follows:

Johns Hopkins University
University of California-San Francisco
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
University of Washington
Stanford University
Duke University
University of North Carolina
Yale University

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Thanks Pitt.

So does PITT own the hospitals? I don't understand the difference in structure? Also, are most major universities structured like Pitt or ru?

Thanks Pitt.

So does PITT own the hospitals? I don't understand the difference in structure? Also, are most major universities structured like Pitt or ru?
Thanks Pitt.

Let me try to explain.

The University of Pittsburgh (Academic Side) does not own the Hospitals.

The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (Clinical Side) owns the Hospitals.

However, they are all under the University of Pittsburgh umbrella (so to speak).

Each side has their own/separate (Board of Directors) and governing Administrations.

They each have their own Endowments.

However, they meet ( closely collaborate) to discuss mutually beneficial projects and concerns.

I am not certain how many other Medical Schools have this extensive number of Hospitals (Residency Opportunities for Medical students as well as internships for all the other Health Science Programs as well as cutting edge research opportunities) directly associated with the University.

All of Pitt's Health Science Programs (Medical,Pharmacy,Physical Therapy,Nursing,Occupational Therapy etc.) are ranked in the Top 20 (US News- Graduate Programs) in the nation.

I might also mention that UPMC has been ranked (US News) as one of the best (15 to 20 ranking) hospital networks in the United States for over a decade.

The Rutgers/RWJ partnership will provide many of these same opportunities.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: pmvon
Thanks Pitt.

The structure for Pitt and Rutgers are the same in regards to hospitals.

Rutgers and RWJBarnabas are separate legal entities. RWJ University Hospital is the primary hospital for Rutgers RWJ Medical School, but they are separate entities, although they work closely together (and based on this announcement, Both Rutgers RWJ Medical School and Rutgers NJ Medical School will work closely with the entire RWJBarnabas network).

University of Pittsburgh and UPMC are also separate legal entities, although they work closely together.

Johns Hopkins is a similar structure, with Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Hospital being separate legal entities. They've formed a collaborative structure called "Hopkins Medicine", but they are separate entities.

University of Pennsylvania is similar with the university and hospital as separate entities, with a collaborative structure called "Penn Medicine".

I would not be surprised to eventually see the RWJBarnabas network collaborate under the umbrella of Rutgers Health. But since RWJBarnabas already has an established brand in NJ, I could see them continuing to brand separately, like Columbia and NY-Presbyterian.

Last edited:

Rutgers and RWJBarnabas are separate legal entities. RWJ University Hospital is the primary hospital for Rutgers RWJ Medical School, but they are separate entities, although they work closely together (and based on this announcement, Both Rutgers RWJ Medical School and Rutgers NJ Medical School will work closely with the entire RWJBarnabas network).

University of Pittsburgh and UPMC are also separate legal entities, although they work closely together.

Johns Hopkins is a similar structure, with Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Hospital being separate legal entities. They've formed a collaborative structure called "Hopkins Medicine", but they are separate entities.

University of Pennsylvania is similar with the university and hospital as separate entities, with a collaborative structure called "Penn Medicine".

I would not be surprised to eventually see the RWJBarnabas network collaborate under the umbrella of Rutgers Health. But since RWJBarnabas already has an established brand in NJ, I could see them continuing to brand separately, like Columbia and NY-Presbyterian.

The relationship between Pitt (University) and UPMC (Hospitals) is somewhat unique when compared to Rutgers and others. For example, Pitt (University) appoints approximately 1/3 of the board members to UPMC. Also I believe one of UPMC charters is to provide financial assistance to the University. In FY 2015 UPMC provided $191 million in assistance to the University which was $50 million more than the state provided to Pitt. This level of financial support is probably significantly higher than most Universities receive from their affiliated medical centers. UPMC has also sponsored many endowed chairs for Pitt's medical school.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:

One recent final development about UPMC.

UPMC has recently reached deals to affiliate with 12 Central Pennsylvania Hospitals, including 8 by Harrisburg based Pinnacle Health System. UPMC now has Hospitals (over 30) all over the state of Pennsylvania and is even approaching the Philadelphia area with Hospitals in Lancaster and Hanover.

The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) will surround Penn State and proudly display the UPMC name in the heart of Lion Country.

Not to get to far off the original OP thread.
Again the affialiation agreement that Rutgers now has with RWJ Barnabas is a development which will significantly help Rutgers in establishing an outstanding Medical School as well as aid all of the other Health Science Programs.

Rutgers/RWJ will be a major health provider in New Jersey.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Pittsburgh Post Gazette reported today (11/4/17) UPMC announces it will build 3 specialty hospitals.

Health system giant UPMC Friday announced it will spend $2.0 Billion to build 3 specialty hospitals, bringing to $3.0 Billion the total sum earmarked for new health care expenditures in Western Pennsylvania over the next 5 years.

Working in partnership with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, we will radically change health care as we know it to provide personalized, effective and compassionate care Mr Romoff (UPMC president and CEO) said in a prepared statement.

The announcement caps a year of unprecedented growth for the Pittsburgh based system, which has included acquiring a dozed hospitals across Pennsylvania. UPMC Pennsylvania biggest employer with over 80,000 employees, now operates 39 hospitals overall.

Part of the new facilities will be Research Oriented.

I did not realize UPMC has reached this level of scope and scale.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT