ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers school-wise COVID testing stats so far

ScarletDave

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2010
For the start of the semester through 9/12, here are the stats on coronavirus testing for the university (keep in mind: other than select graduate classes and research, most students and professors are not on campus. Only essential personnel, and select international students, and the groups above):

Tested: 3,017
Negative: 2,998
Positive: 14
Population positive: 0.46%

Rest inconclusive/waiting on results I imagine

Reactions: Wolv RU
Unfortunately ,I'm sure the numbers are greater for those off campus

Sounds like rutgers is doing one of the best of any school in the country, although to be fair they are remote

Unfortunately ,I'm sure the numbers are greater for those off campus
It’s probably part of Rutgers legal calculation. Close the dorms so kids who want to live at school have to crowd into off-campus housing. This keeps their numbers lower but jmany kids get the virus. As long it’s not on Rutgers property it’s not their fault.

If so many 19-24 aged kids are walking around with the virus, why aren't they infecting their parents and grandparents? In order to achieve the spread at some of the schools in the country there would have had to be massive unreported, asymptomatic community spread prior to these kids attending the school. There should have been more than enough seed cases for exponential growth (1 person infecting 2 or more family/friends) yet the numbers don't seem to indicate this.

If so many 19-24 aged kids are walking around with the virus, why aren't they infecting their parents and grandparents? In order to achieve the spread at some of the schools in the country there would have had to be massive unreported, asymptomatic community spread prior to these kids attending the school. There should have been more than enough seed cases for exponential growth (1 person infecting 2 or more family/friends) yet the numbers don't seem to indicate this.
All the numbers are B.S. !

because they are staying down there and not coming home--as a matter of fact I know parents that require their kids to be tested before coming home--you can easily be tested and have results the same day

there are tons off campus and believe me there are many positive test results and that's bound to happen with these kids

So are these kids actually sick or do they all feel fine and not know they have the virus?

So are these kids actually sick or do they all feel fine and not know they have the virus?
Bit of sick, bit of asymptomatic, based on reports from other colleges. Btw, your statement doesn't make sense... if they tested positive, they would know they had the virus. There was a report of some kid at a college who tested positive and knew they were sick, but chose not to quarantine and went partying anyway

Reactions: Greg2020
As a parent of one of those students living off campus, let me add my two cents.

1. As noted above, my daughter signed a lease well before Covid hit.
2. She came home when RU shut down in March and stayed home through the summer
3. She made the decision to go back to her apt for the Fall semester. Not surprisingly, she wanted to be with her friends.
4. We talked about it quite a bit prior to the decision. We discussed the very real possibility/likelihood that she would be exposed/infected. We discussed realistic ways to reduce that chance without turning her into a hermit in her apt. Some of these she will likely follow, some she will likely not.
5. Given the likelihood that she will be infected and the good chance that she would be asymptomatic, we also determined that once she moved back up to school, she would not be coming home for a weekend/etc. Too much risk of her transmitting to the rest of the family.
6. It is likely that we will go visit her at some point(normally would see her for RU games/tailgates). But we are going to have to treat those visits as if she weren't part of the family(ie socially distanced).
7. In general the whole thing just sucks(to reiterate the obvious)

As a parent of one of those students living off campus, let me add my two cents.

1. As noted above, my daughter signed a lease well before Covid hit.
2. She came home when RU shut down in March and stayed home through the summer
3. She made the decision to go back to her apt for the Fall semester. Not surprisingly, she wanted to be with her friends.

Sounds like identical history to my granddaughter at Colorado in Boulder. Sounds like you are treating it wisely.

My granddaughter and her three roommates moved into their 4 bedroom, 4 bath apartment above a Starbucks, across the street from campus just before Labor Day. All healthy. All four tried to be careful. But, within 10 days, all four tested positive. They're isolating, friends are dropping off groceries at their door. Symptons are like bad colds with some nausea added;but getting better quickly. Keeping up with their online classes.

Bit of sick, bit of asymptomatic, based on reports from other colleges. Btw, your statement doesn't make sense... if they tested positive, they would know they had the virus. There was a report of some kid at a college who tested positive and knew they were sick, but chose not to quarantine and went partying anyway

I meant at the time of receiving their positive result were they feeling sick or were they feeling fine and had no idea they were carrying the virus. Some schools are requiring everyone to be tested to return to the dorms regardless of whether or not they felt sick which is why I asked.

Sounds like identical history to my granddaughter at Colorado in Boulder. Sounds like you are treating it wisely.

My granddaughter and her three roommates moved into their 4 bedroom, 4 bath apartment above a Starbucks, across the street from campus just before Labor Day. All healthy. All four tried to be careful. But, within 10 days, all four tested positive. They're isolating, friends are dropping off groceries at their door. Symptons are like bad colds with some nausea added;but getting better quickly. Keeping up with their online classes.

Out of curiosity, do they have the head congestion that your normally get from a cold (runny/stuffy nose, sneezing, postnasal drip)? I was talking with one of my friends who is a GP doctor about presenting symptoms of COVID and she said if they have the typical cold symptoms I just mentioned AND test positive, they likely have a normal cold virus in addition to a mild or asymptomatic bout of COVID as according to her COVID doesn't really present that way.

This is by no means medical advice lol, just thought the conversation I had with her was interesting since no one seems to know what the standard symptoms are of mild COVID.

personnaly know of several guys living off campus at RU who got the virus and only had low fevers, minor aches--were tested and got their positive results back almost immediately--so far all doing very well and now they are somewhat relieved that they got it and will now have antigens--their parents all said to me --" it was inevitable" were worried but as each day that goes by their kids are doing great and are now glad that it will be a done deal--hoping for no repercussions

ADVERTISEMENT