ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers set a fundraising record in 2017-2018,

Given inflation, we should set a new record every year. We'd be pretty bad off if we didn't. In other words, let's not break our arm patting ourselves on the back. This should be routine.

This is a tremendous amount given the size of the endowment. Most organizations raise 3 percent or so of their endowment value each year. While our endowment is small relative to the size of the institution, it just means RU will continue to climb in those rankings as well. All helps the prestige of the university.

#84 and climbing

https://www.nacubo.org/-/media/Nacu...hash=E71088CDC05C76FCA30072DA109F91BBC10B0290

When people donate to the school I would think their donation has to be directed to the University endowment to grow it, correct? OR if someone makes a donation to a general fund which benefits the school, the RU foundation can choose to enter it into the endowment?

Otherwise our donations could keep going up but that doesn't necessarily mean a direct correlation to the increase of endowment - unless theres a connection of some sort without the donor directing funds there?

When people donate to the school I would think their donation has to be directed to the University endowment to grow it, correct? OR if someone makes a donation to a general fund which benefits the school, the RU foundation can choose to enter it into the endowment?

Otherwise our donations could keep going up but that doesn't necessarily mean a direct correlation to the increase of endowment - unless theres a connection of some sort without the donor directing funds there?

It all depends on what the gifts are for. Some donations are for capital projects that get spent quickly and would not be invested in the long term endowment pool. Scholarship or professorship gifts go to the endowment since they are meant to be into perpetuity. Unrestricted gifts are used at the discretion of the board with some making it into the endowment.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
This is a tremendous amount given the size of the endowment. Most organizations raise 3 percent or so of their endowment value each year. While our endowment is small relative to the size of the institution, it just means RU will continue to climb in those rankings as well. All helps the prestige of the university.

#84 and climbing

https://www.nacubo.org/-/media/Nacu...hash=E71088CDC05C76FCA30072DA109F91BBC10B0290

The raise in rank does show that we've improved. The mere fact that donations set a record, though, is meaningless. I guess Rutgers is unwilling to compare itself with other universities.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
The raise in rank does show that we've improved. The mere fact that donations set a record, though, is meaningless. I guess Rutgers is unwilling to compare itself with other universities.

I don’t think it’s meaningless. I think it means things are improving. No doubt though we are on the lower end of institutions our size.

#84 and climbing

I hope we jump Cuse, Liberty and Lehigh in next year's endowment rankings. #84 is pretty good, hopefully we can climb into the Top 75 in next years rankings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT