ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers set to hire Kick Ciarrocca as OC

And people say we don’t have any money. There obviously is some. Did they pay him 1.5-2M?

its-not-bad-its-not-good-its-somewhere-in-the-middle-somewhere-in-the-middle.gif

"Rutgers is expected to make a sizable commitment to bring in former offensive coordinator"

Hmmm....where have I heard that before?
Plus he's a Minnesota coach?

Hopefully this turns out better than the OC Kill and OC McNulty tenures.

Blehhhh maybe it’ll work out but it’s not like Minnesota’s offense lights it up. And I’m pretty sure when he was here his first go around he ran a pro style offense? Correct me if I’m wrong

Reactions: RUShea
Well he has obviously progressed since getting fired as RU’s OC by Schiano after 2010. I wish he could bring along a few of Minn’s OLs and WRs.

Reactions: biker7766
Thoughts??? Quality hire???
he seemed to have improved since his co:OC days with Flood at RU..
Did pretty good as the Golpher's OC in 2022
His 2020 Penn St tenure ended abruptly one might say , but his Nitts ranked second in the conference in total offense (430.3 yards per game), third in scoring (29.8 points per game), fourth in passing (256.0 yards per game) and fifth in rushing (174.3 yards per game).
2021 was spent as a WV Hillbilly Offensive Analyst

The wait to hire might have been so PJ wouldn't get blindsided and have time to start looking for a new OC because of the respect that Schiano and Fleck have for each other.
But that's just my speculation without any inside knowledge supporting it

Last edited:
Yes it’s Kirk. Schiano strutting himself all over the basketball game today.

These are the stats from the offenses he’s been listed as OC for

2008 RU - 29 PPG (39th in FBS), 270 PYPG, 128 RYPG
2009 RU - 28.8 PPG (53rd), 192 PYPG, 134 RYPG
2010 RU - 20.8 PPG (103rd), 194 PYPG, 101 RYPG

2013 WMU - 17.2 PPG (118th), 211 PYPG, 116 RYPG
2014 WMU - 33.8 PPG (34th), 267 PYPG, 171 RYPG
2015 WMU - 36 PPG (26th), 287 PYPG, 204 RYPG
2016 WMU - 41.6 PPG (9th), 252 PYPG, 229 RYPG

2017 MIN - 22.1 PPG (110th), 126 PYPG, 182 RYPG
2018 MIN - 28.9 PPG (65th), 209 PYPG, 171 RYPG
2019 MIN - 34.1 PPG (22nd), 253 PYPG, 179 RYPG

2020 PSU (only B1G play) - 29.8 (54th), 256 PYPG, 174 RYPG

2022 MIN - 28.2 PPG (66th), 182 PYPG, 207 RYPG

It's an okay hire but I'm not enthused by it. It's not the style of offense that I think has the most potential. I'm guessing it must've been somewhat lucrative commitment either in guaranteed money or years or both. I'm not so sure KC is worth that.

He got fired just after 1 year at PSU and he's also coming back to work for a guy who fired him earlier in his career. For both those reasons, I'd think it must be somewhat significant in terms of compensation between years and salary.

I'll say this too, I think this hire pretty much seals the probability GS is here for 2 years more regardless of the record next year. I don't think we'd pay off both him and a somewhat high priced OC that quickly. I still think the 6 win threshold is important but this IMO pushes it out to year 5 and year 4 is pretty much off the table.

What did you expect? Honestly didn't think we could hire away a better programs OC.
exactly, and no up and comer is gonna coming here. On ESPN, it has Minnesota having the the 4th best offensive efficiency in the B1G. He ran some good offenses his first stint at Minnesota and at Western Michigan.

Reactions: sct1111
PJ seems to be have some holes in his boat lol. He's had a couple position coaches go to B10 competitors Wisconsin and Purdue and now KC leaving to join that group of departures.

Reactions: redking and fsg2
What did you expect? Honestly didn't think we could hire away a better programs OC.
We should've hired someone who's ready to be an OC and not another retread who will get the same results at best, as Gleason

It's an okay hire but I'm not enthused by it. It's not the style of offense that I think has the most potential. I'm guessing it must've been somewhat lucrative commitment either in guaranteed money or years or both. I'm not so sure KC is worth that.

He got fired just after 1 year at PSU and he's also coming back to work for a guy who fired him earlier in his career. For both those reasons, I'd think it must be somewhat significant in terms of compensation between years and salary.

I'll say this too, I think this hire pretty much seals the probability GS is here for 2 years more regardless of the record next year. I don't think we'd pay off both him and a somewhat high priced OC that quickly. I still think the 6 win threshold is important but this IMO pushes it out to year 5 and year 4 is pretty much off the table.
I'm of the mindset that I have kind of written off Schiano ... So this to me isn't that bad of a hire. Get the team to be average over the next two seasons ... Both in terms of talent and somewhat respectability in terms of wins (6?) / competitive games (just feeling like we were in it after the half)

And then move on

ADVERTISEMENT