ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers set to hire Kick Ciarrocca as OC

No, he was brought in here to change the offense to a spread. Greg to that point had recruited for a pro-style. It turned into a lot of Jabu/Sanu Wild Knight. Everyone's now darling, Flood couldn't recruit a lineman if his life depended on it and we wound up with one of the worst offensive lines in the history of the NCAA.
Thanks for clarifying

A lot of uniformed, unbridled hate and nonsense being spewed here by the typical negatoids. Did you guys read the writeup by Richie?

Some career highlights as OC from Richie's writeup--all showing a track record of success in mentoring and coaching QBs:

Minnesota:
In 2019, the Gophers averaged 432 yards per game and 34.1 points per game. Ciarrocca was named one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award in 2019 and Minnesota was one of three schools in the nation to produce two 1,000-yard receivers (Tyler Johnson and Rashod Bateman) and a 1,000-yard rusher (Rodney Smith).

Coached Tanner Morgan, who set school single-season records in passing yards (3,253), touchdown passes (30), completion percentage (66.0%), passing yards per game (250.2), touchdown-interception ratio (4.28) and passing efficiency rating (178.7).

Western Michigan:
In 2016, Western Michigan had the nation’s 25th-ranked rushing offense, 49th-ranked passing offense and had the fewest turnovers in the country with eight.

Ciarrocca coached the quarterbacks and mentored Terrell. In 2016, Terrell passed for 33 touchdowns and threw only four interceptions. In 2014, 2015 and 2016, Terrell threw for 3443, 3522 and 3533 yards. How could you not like that?

Delaware:
Ciarrocca's Blue Hen 2007 offense ranked in the top 10 nationally in scoring, total offense, passing offense, third down conversion and red-zone scoring. He had a pair of quarterbacks drafted into the NFL during his first stint with the Blue Hens.

----
What do the negatoids do? 2010!!!! Do you guys remember what happened to the team in 2010 and E? Of course you don't, because you are blinded by misplaced rage/hate and can't see the forest through the trees.
Do you ever stop attacking other posters who happen to disagree with you? Ugh, how could you post 66,000 times and be so negative and demoralizing.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
My condolences on the hire. He was a disaster at Penn State. Under Franklin we have had 5 OC and he was the worst of them. His offense was so predictable, slow and conservative. Run motion stop look at the side line run more motion then same zone read play 90% of the time.

He is a safe hire. He won’t be an epic disaster but he not going revolutionize the offense. If he has talent you will move the ball. Against the better defenses you will want to bash your head against the wall. No innovation but also very sound.

This thread should be fun to revisit, with all the OC’s who have chimed in.

you all thought i was kidding that it had to be a goombah
Ya know…I wonder what you would have said that if HC was of any other ethnicity and brought in someone of his same ethnicity. Drop that sh$t, it’s offensive as an Italian American.

Reactions: Joey Bacala
Ya know…I wonder what you would have said that if HC was of any other ethnicity and brought in someone of his same ethnicity. Drop that sh$t, it’s offensive as an Italian American.
As a fellow italian american, how is goombah offensive? Goombah does not equate at all to WOP, guinea, etc.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Took a look last night at his 4 years at Minnesota. I wanted to see how they did against B10 competition in those 4 years. I just looked at B10 records of the teams they beat and lost to each year to try to eliminate noise of OOC plus the B10 is the biggest part of anyone's schedule. Still some noise because everyone doesn't play each other.

Wins
Wisc (4-5), NW (1-8), Neb (3-6), RU (1-8), MSU (3-6) ....B10 record of teams they beat (12-30)

Losses
Iowa (5-4), PSU (7-2), ILL (5-4), Purdue (6-3).... B10 record of teams they lost to (23-13)

Wins
NW (1-8), PSU (7-2), Mary (1-8), RU (0-9), Neb (3-6), ILL (4-5), Purdue (3-6) ...B10 record of teams they beat (19-44)

Losses
Wisc (7-2), Iowa (6-3)...B10 record of teams they lost to (13-5)

Wins
Wisc (5-4), Purdue (5-4), IU (2-7)...B10 record of teams they beat (12-15)

Losses
NW (8-1), ILL (2-7), Neb (3-6), OSU (8-1), Iowa (5-4), Mary (3-6).B10 record of teams they lost to (29-25)

Wins
Neb (3-6), ILL (0-9)...B10 record of teams they beat (3-15)

Losses
Wisc (9-0), NW (7-2), Mich (5-4), Iowa (4-5), MSU (7-2), Purdue (4-5), Mary (2-7)..B10 record of teams they lost to (38-25)

Brutal. This program is so lame. I was excited for Schiano 2.0 but now think he’s totally out of his league. I mean, Tulane beat USC this year. We could never dream of doing that. I’ve been following for 20 years now and we’ve had a good QB for like 2 years max. Until we can get a QB, we’ll remain a joke and unfortunately Greg has proven he can’t develop QBs. Such a weak and depressing hire.
Going to be a while until Rutgers can beat a Tulane, UCF, or a Cincinnati let alone USC.

Took a look last night at his 4 years at Minnesota. I wanted to see how they did against B10 competition in those 4 years. I just looked at B10 records of the teams they beat and lost to each year to try to eliminate noise of OOC plus the B10 is the biggest part of anyone's schedule. Still some noise because everyone doesn't play each other.

Wins
Wisc (4-5), NW (1-8), Neb (3-6), RU (1-8), MSU (3-6) ....B10 record of teams they beat (12-30)

Losses
Iowa (5-4), PSU (7-2), ILL (5-4), Purdue (6-3).... B10 record of teams they lost to (23-13)

Wins
NW (1-8), PSU (7-2), Mary (1-8), RU (0-9), Neb (3-6), ILL (4-5), Purdue (3-6) ...B10 record of teams they beat (19-44)

Losses

Wins

Losses
NW (8-1), ILL (2-7), Neb (3-6), OSU (8-1), Iowa (5-4), Mary (3-6).B10 record of teams they lost to (29-25)

Wins

Losses
Wisc (9-0), NW (7-2), Mich (5-4), Iowa (4-5), MSU (7-2), Purdue (4-5), Mary (2-7)..B10 record of teams they lost to (38-25)
This is very Schiano 1.0 like.

I am very happy with this hire.
dc1d4de9-c43a-4974-bea8-3da1be25817d_text.gif

Reactions: Kbee3
The best I can say is that it is a safe hire. He won't put the defense in bad positions or too long on the field but does it really make us better.

Minnesota played a really weak schedule in 2022.

East Minn lost to Penn St 17-45, beat Mich St 34-7, beat us 31-0
West lost to the top 3, Purdue 10-20, Illinois 14-26, Iowa 10-13,
beat bottom 3 Wisc 23-16, Nebraska 20-13, Northwestern 31-3.

Non conference NM St 38-0, Western Illinois 62-10, Coach Prime-less Colorado 49-7. 149-17 non conference

B1G- 218-163, 51-104 vs the top of the conf, 167-59 vs the bottom

We can do that with Nunzio or Greg as OC.

2017- Wisc 13-1, NW 10-3, OSU 12-2, Penn St 11-2, Mich 10-3
Mich 10pts, NW 0pts, Wisc 0 pts(0-3)
2018- NW 9-5, Iowa 9-4, Ohio St 13-1, Mich 10-3, Penn St 9-4
Ohio St 14pts, NW 14pts, Iowa 31pts(0-3)
2019- Wisc 10-4, Iowa 10-3, Ohio St 13-1, Penn St 11-2, Mich 9-4
Wisc 17pts-L, Iowa 19pts-L, Penn St 31pts- W(1-2)

Maybe 2025, we beat Michigan, Ohio St or Penn St?

How do you know this?
I make no predictions. I'm neither optimistic nor pessimistic. It is wait and see for me.
While most were hoping for someone out of the Leach or Briles Tree, I already knew* it was someone from the old Schiano tree.

*(figured out/predicted for those who want to bomb me with HOW DID YOU KNOW questions)

Looking at some of those Oklahoma State games from 2019, they damm sure didn’t looked like something that Sean Gleeson ran at Rutgers. It’s going to be the same old same old with a hope of another 2006 5-10 years from now to hold on to in the future instead of building this program inside and out to compete.

If the O come out guns blazing in 2023 or even 2024, great. Like I said, it’s going to take a while to beat a NY6 team, let alone a CFP team.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Exactly it's not like Minnesota as a program is wealthier or has a better recruiting base than we do. He's a successful offensive coordinator at a winning P5 program and we hired him away from them. Minnesota is a perfect example of a program that has done more with less.

CLEARLY not a better recruiting base. Wealthier? I'd like to see the numbers.

Wins

Losses

Wins

Losses

Wins

Losses

Wins

Losses
First- Nice job on the Mods changing the thread title to "Kick Ciarrocca" Maybe it should say "Rutgers Fans Set to Kick Ciarrocca as OC"? 😜

2019 is obviously a huge bright spot on his resume. As I posted elsewhere, QBs under "Kick" have shown good progress year over year. An exception is Tanner Morgan, who was injured this year and did not have a good year in 2022, but he regressed in 2020 and 2021. Not that steeped in Minny to know what the problem was in 2020 and 2021. Mike Sanford, Jr. was OC those years. What he did with QBs at WMU and Delaware is more impressive, but those were different levels and a long time ago. Maybe he can get Joe Flacco to come over as QB consultant when he retires, or perhaps see if brother Tom has another year of eligibility?

As far as the W-L records of teams they beat and lost to in 2019, a few other things- loss to #8 Iowa was 23-19, while loss to Wisconsin (B1G West Champ) was more lopsided. But they beat #12 Auburn in their bowl and would up ranked at #10. I can't see how anyone can put a negative spin on their 2019 season, but surely, people are already doing that here. Whatever.

On his more current resume, @PSU_Nut pointed out he was a huge fail at Penn State. Covid year, and probably just a terrible match. It was all around a weird year, with Michigan finishing at 2-4 and Indiana 2nd in B1G East.

2022 is a more concerning year. QB production was not good, and Freshman QB Kaliakmanis was 60/111 with 3 TD and 4 INTs, while Tanner Morgan was 107/160 with 9 TDs and 5 INTs, injured for a few games. He had a horrific game against Purdue with 0 TD and 3 INT. Their most productive receiver, Daniel Jackson had 557 yads, which was very Rutgersesq. An encouraging sign is their next productive receiver was TE Brevyn Spann-Ford.

For whatever it's worth, let's take a look at points scored vs. B1G defenses average points allowed, and I have not filtered out defensive and ST (kickoff/put return) scoring:

MSU- 34 pts (+7 over average)
Purdue- 10 pts (-14 under average-horrible game)
Illinois- 14 pts (+2 over average)
Penn State- 17 pts (-1 under average)
Rutgers - 31 pts (+2 over average)
Nebraska- 20 pts (-7 under average)
Northwestern- 31 pts (+3 over average)
Iowa - 10 pts (-4 under average)
Wisconsin- 23 pts (+3 over average)

Bowl- Syracuse - 28 pts (+5 over average)

In 10 games, they overperformed to their opponent defense average in 6 games, and underperformed in 4 games.

That's all I got. Onward, upward, or at least sideways.

My condolences on the hire. He was a disaster at Penn State. Under Franklin we have had 5 OC and he was the worst of them. His offense was so predictable, slow and conservative. Run motion stop look at the side line run more motion then same zone read play 90% of the time.

He is a safe hire. He won’t be an epic disaster but he not going revolutionize the offense. If he has talent you will move the ball. Against the better defenses you will want to bash your head against the wall. No innovation but also very sound.
Wasn’t that the Covid year (and his only year there) where there was no spring camp and about two or three weeks of preseason prep. Great sample to use as a basis for your evaluation. I have no clue how he will do here and I am not saying this is a great hire but to use that season as evidence that he is a bad OC is just wrong.

Unlikely to happen, but will bookmark your post, and if/when RU puts up 45 points in 2023 or 2024 (or mabye at least 2023-2026 combined), I will dredge up this post. 😜

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Someone said it earlier, but IMO this is proof that the game has passed Schiano by, he's inflexible to change, and/or he could only recruit a guy he's worked with before. Any one of these is an insurmountable barrier to his success, and I fear it's actually all three.

It's going to be great seeing old school, 21 personnel that overindexes on inside zone and power runs. It's not like the best teams in the country scoring 100 points in the playoffs last week was a sign of where the game / sport is headed. Not at all.

Get me @Plum Street take on this, because sadly, I think this is a layup opportunity for the prophet.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Wasn’t that the Covid year (and his only year there) where there was no spring camp and about two or three weeks of preseason prep. Great sample to use as a basis for your evaluation. I have no clue how he will do here and I am not saying this is a great hire but to use that season as evidence that he is a bad OC is just wrong.
Penn State went 4-5 in the shortened, conference-only 2020 season. In fact, they started 0-5 that season, then reeled off 4 straight wins to finish. I wonder why Franklin didn't stick with KC for 2021?

While most were hoping for someone out of the Leach or Briles Tree, I already knew* it was someone from the old Schiano tree.

*(figured out/predicted for those who want to bomb me with HOW DID YOU KNOW questions)

Looking at some of those Oklahoma State games from 2019, they damm sure didn’t looked like something that Sean Gleeson ran at Rutgers. It’s going to be the same old same old with a hope of another 2006 5-10 years from now to hold on to in the future instead of building this program inside and out to compete.

If the O come out guns blazing in 2023 or even 2024, great. Like I said, it’s going to take a while to beat a NY6 team, let alone a CFP team.
That Schiano tree does not seem to be generating any new branches that's for sure. Seems like it has been cross polinated with the Fleck tree.

That Schiano tree does not seem to be generating any new branches that's for sure. Seems like it has been cross polinated with the Fleck tree.
Really?
Cristobal HC at Oregon and Miami
Hafley HC at BC
McNulty HC at BC
Tem Lubaku DC at BC
Robb Smith DC at Duke
Flood at Texas
Frank Cignetti Jr OC at Pitt
Fran Brown at Georgia
Can we mention Tiquan Underwood as PGC at Pitt?

Reactions: Wolv RU and redking
Someone said it earlier, but IMO this is proof that the game has passed Schiano by, he's inflexible to change, and/or he could only recruit a guy he's worked with before. Any one of these is an insurmountable barrier to his success, and I fear it's actually all three.

It's going to be great seeing old school, 21 personnel that overindexes on inside zone and power runs. It's not like the best teams in the country scoring 100 points in the playoffs last week was a sign of where the game / sport is headed. Not at all.

Get me @Plum Street take on this, because sadly, I think this is a layup opportunity for the prophet.
It’s an underwhelming hire . But I really thought it might be worse. I felt schiano needed to hit a home run here to turn this thing around . This is an infield single . Hiring nunzio would have been grounding into a double play.

I think ciarocca will do enough to be an almost competent offense . I mean he did call a 99.5 yard drive against us this year . So we have seen his greatness. But the hire doesn’t do anything to inspire confidence in where this program is headed. This hire doesn’t seal Greg’s fate, but it probably pushes him closer to the firing line in 2025

Yes it was a cluster of a year. Penn State did manage to get two weeks of spring practice. They then practiced two weeks in August and then three weeks of preseason camp. That should have been more than enough for an offense that was returning 8 starters. In twelve year as a head coach Franklin has fired 2 coaches. So for him to fire him after just one year says something was wrong.

I am not saying he a bad OC. As a fan it was frustrating because it was run on first and second down then RPO on third. There was little creativity and his play calling was so repetitive.

He is a safe hire. He the modern version of the ball control three yard and a cloud of dust offense. He not going to out scheme you and put up yards against anyone wide open offense. When he has the right players they are going to move the ball.

Looking at the overall Big Ten offensive numbers and came across the down right shocking and troubling stat that I was not even looking for.

Pass percentage:
#131 - Air Force 11.3%
#130 - Navy 16.23%
#129 - Army 17.16%
All that makes sense

#128 - Minnesota 33.96%
That's not exactly encouraging for a "balanced" offense or whatever word that's being used.

Note: #73 - Rutgers 47.1%

Reactions: RU Cheese
Looking at the overall Big Ten offensive numbers and came across the down right shocking and troubling stat that I was not even looking for.

Pass percentage:
#131 - Air Force 11.3%
#130 - Navy 16.23%
#129 - Army 17.16%
All that makes sense

#128 - Minnesota 33.96%
That's not exactly encouraging for a "balanced" offense or whatever word that's being used.

Note: #73 - Rutgers 47.1%
Well I mean when Ibrahim is your running back and clear best offensive player that’s not super crazy. And it seems like most other stops he’s been at they pass a lot more than he did last year. First stint at Minnesota and Western Michigan he passed a good bit.

ADVERTISEMENT