ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers set to hire Kick Ciarrocca as OC

Looking at the overall Big Ten offensive numbers and came across the down right shocking and troubling stat that I was not even looking for.

Pass percentage:
#131 - Air Force 11.3%
#130 - Navy 16.23%
#129 - Army 17.16%
All that makes sense

#128 - Minnesota 33.96%
That's not exactly encouraging for a "balanced" offense or whatever word that's being used.

Note: #73 - Rutgers 47.1%
Dynamite. And weren't many claiming Minnesota had a special / gifted RB when he ran all over us? If that's true, what do their offensive numbers look like without him?

• Haha
Reactions: jtung230
Dynamite. And weren't many claiming Minnesota had a special / gifted RB when he ran all over us? If that's true, what do their offensive numbers look like without him?

Looked into it a little more.
While Ibrahim is very good - his numbers may have been inflated due to such a high volume.

Having the 2nd most attempts usually leads to a lot of yards.
Attempts Per Game: 26.67 (#2)
Yards Per Game: 138.75 (#2)

Yards Per Rush: 5.2 (outside the Top 100)
Note: * All Games qualifier is on pace for at least 75 rush attempts
(This is 6.25 attempts per game over a 12 game season)

5.2 yards per rush is actually his lowest of his career it appears.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/rushing-yards-per-attempt?split=

Yes it was a cluster of a year. Penn State did manage to get two weeks of spring practice. They then practiced two weeks in August and then three weeks of preseason camp. That should have been more than enough for an offense that was returning 8 starters. In twelve year as a head coach Franklin has fired 2 coaches. So for him to fire him after just one year says something was wrong.

I am not saying he a bad OC. As a fan it was frustrating because it was run on first and second down then RPO on third. There was little creativity and his play calling was so repetitive.

He is a safe hire. He the modern version of the ball control three yard and a cloud of dust offense. He not going to out scheme you and put up yards against anyone wide open offense. When he has the right players they are going to move the ball.
You didn’t call him a bad OC? True. You called him a disaster!

Really?
Cristobal HC at Oregon and Miami
Hafley HC at BC
McNulty HC at BC
Tem Lubaku DC at BC
Robb Smith DC at Duke
Flood at Texas
Frank Cignetti Jr OC at Pitt
Fran Brown at Georgia
Can we mention Tiquan Underwood as PGC at Pitt?
How many trees can once coach belong to? Hafley got the BC job after working with Urban. Was also in the NFL with Buffalo and made his initial mark with with Wannstedt at Pitt. Fran Brown would seem to come from the Rhule tree. Cignetti was the OC at Pitt before he did one year here with GS.

Looked into it a little more.
While Ibrahim is very good - his numbers may have been inflated due to such a high volume.

Having the 2nd most attempts usually leads to a lot of yards.
Attempts Per Game: 26.67 (#2)
Yards Per Game: 138.75 (#2)

Yards Per Rush: 5.2 (outside the Top 100)
Note: * All Games qualifier is on pace for at least 75 rush attempts
(This is 6.25 attempts per game over a 12 game season)

5.2 yards per rush is actually his lowest of his career it appears.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/rushing-yards-per-attempt?split=
Perhaps, but it's still impressive and a sad sign re: the hire.

How many trees can once coach belong to? Hafley got the BC job after working with Urban. Was also in the NFL with Buffalo and made his initial mark with with Wannstedt at Pitt. Fran Brown would seem to come from the Rhule tree. Cignetti was the OC at Pitt before he did one year here with GS.
Oh, I see how it works for you. Give credit to anyone but Greg. Are you one of those guys?

You didn’t call him a bad OC? True. You called him a disaster!
He was a disaster at Penn State in what he tried to do. He been decent at other stops. He a safe hire but I don’t think the type of hire you get excited about. I think his system can work but it not going to light the world on fire year after year.

Schiano 2.0 will be sent to the tar pits after 2024 and Hobbs will hire an offense first HC after that. Schiano has proven that he's a dinosaur and will never evolve into a HC that understands modern football.
Is Fleck also a dinosaur? He was happy with KC.

Blehhhh maybe it’ll work out but it’s not like Minnesota’s offense lights it up. And I’m pretty sure when he was here his first go around he ran a pro style offense? Correct me if I’m wrong
Didn’t he get fired at State Penn?

Wait he's a former Penn State coach?
Are those couple posters going to organize a protest?

They were pretty adamant anyone who ever chose to associate with PSU needs to be ostracized (like that stadium sound guy).

That was the only question
If he is gonna be a yes man I don’t want him. If he crash and burn, he cal alway thank GS for allowing him to steal $$$ from the University. 5.5 million a year for selling a dream

How many times do we have to this?

"I was just a young kid," Savage told NJ.com in a phone interview on Thursday. "I was just kind of bitter and angry and thought I was entitled to things that I really wasn't. I made a mistake. If you could go back, me growing up a little bit, I could see myself staying and being patient and earning the job back."

Tom Savage was a very good transfer and Pitt was able to coach and develop him into an NFL QB.
If Savage would have remained at Rutgers would he have been a high draft pick in the NFL.

Savage leaving Rutgers was not a mistake as far as his career just as it was not a mistake for Joe Flacco to leave Pitt for Delaware. Both QB's benefited from their respective moves.

Kenny Pickett (Rival 3-star) was coached and developed by Pitt and ultimately picked as a 1st round Draft Pick in the NFL. Aaron Donald (Rival 3-star) was coached and developed and ultimately became an NFL Pro Bowler.

Even today Narduzzi and staff continue to recognize and develop recruits (Rival 3-star) that other schools may bypass (not Rival 5/4 star players).

ESPN just released a list of their Top 100 football players in 2022.

Pitt made the list with 2 players and 1 transfer and all came to Pitt as Rival 3-star recruits:

#21 Calijah Kancey
#37 Izzy Abanikanda
#44 Jorden Addison won the Biletnikoff award at Pitt before transferring to USC.

The reason I mentioned this is that I believe Rutgers will be a lot like Pitt in that they will successfully recognize and develop Rival 3-star recruits to win.

Narduzzi has been at Pitt now for 8 years but his record in the last 2 years is 20-7.
Getting Rival 5/4 stars are great but you can win with Rival 3-stars.

I believe Greg is a good HC and his OC hire is a positive.

It will take some time but improvements will come.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Tom Savage was a very good transfer and Pitt was able to coach and develop him into an NFL QB.
If Savage would have remained at Rutgers would he have been a high draft pick in the NFL.

Savage leaving Rutgers was not a mistake as far as his career just as it was not a mistake for Joe Flacco to leave Pitt for Delaware. Both QB's benefited from their respective moves.

Kenny Pickett (Rival 3-star) was coached and developed by Pitt and ultimately picked as a 1st round Draft Pick in the NFL. Aaron Donald (Rival 3-star) was coached and developed and ultimately became an NFL Pro Bowler.

Even today Narduzzi and staff continue to recognize and develop recruits (Rival 3-star) that other schools may bypass (not Rival 5/4 star players).

ESPN just released a list of their Top 100 football players in 2022.

Pitt made the list with 2 players and 1 transfer and all came to Pitt as Rival 3-star recruits:

#21 Calijah Kancey
#37 Izzy Abanikanda
#44 Jorden Addison won the Biletnikoff award at Pitt before transferring to USC.

The reason I mentioned this is that I believe Rutgers will be a lot like Pitt in that they will successfully recognize and develop Rival 3-star recruits to win.

Narduzzi has been at Pitt now for 8 years but his record in the last 2 years are 20-7.
Getting Rival 5/4 stars are great but you can win with Rival 3-stars.

I believe Greg is a good HC and his OC hire is a positive.

It will take some time but improvements will come.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
glad you like Greg and Kirk, but your message was more like a PU commercial then a message on a Rutgers board talking about a RU hire

Yes I know you were replying to someone who posted an article about an ex RU player who went to Pitt because NCAA rules made it hard for him to be able to return to Rutgers..

glad you like Greg and Kirk, but your message was more like a PU commercial then a message on a Rutgers board talking about a RU hire

Yes I know you were replying to someone who posted an article about an ex RU player who went to Pitt because NCAA rules made it hard for him to be able to return to Rutgers..

I am looking at the Rutgers rebuild with Greg and Kirk in a similar vain to what Pitt went through with Narduzzi. Greg is starting to assemble a staff that can progress each year.
It is hard to be patient but you have to look for positive incremental gains each year.

Again I don't think Rutgers/Greg will ever be in the position (aka Pitt) where they will have numerous Rival 5/4 star but will have to win with Rival 3-star recruits.

This year Pitt has recruited 19 recruits mostly 3-star players. However, Pitt recruiting is ranked #50 in the nation which would by considered by some a bad recruiting year. This year Rutgers has recruited 19 players mostly Rival 3-star. Rutgers nationally ranked #62 not much lower than Pitt.

Rutgers can be successful and the progress can be seen with the player development each year.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
I am looking at the Rutgers rebuild with Greg and Kirk in a similar vain to what Pitt went through with Narduzzi. Greg is starting to assemble a staff that can progress each year.
It is hard to be patient but you have to look for positive incremental gains each year.

Again I don't think Rutgers/Greg will ever be in the position (aka Pitt) where they will have numerous Rival 5/4 star but will have to win with Rival 3-star recruits.

This year Pitt has recruited 19 recruits mostly 3-star players. However, Pitt recruiting is ranked #50 in the nation which would by considered by some a bad recruiting year. This year Rutgers has recruited 19 players mostly Rival 3-star. Rutgers nationally ranked #62 not much lower than Pitt.

Rutgers can be successful and the progress can be seen with the player development each year.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
never know.
If Schiano can start having more recruiting years like 2021(32) and less 2023 (63) type, Rutgers will be recruiting far better than you think possible 2022 wasn't that bad for recruiting but 40 isn't something to brag about, but not that bad.
With player development success Rutgers and Pitt might have bad recruiting years turn into a positive

As for Pitt, 2022 (63) and 2023 (50) recruiting seems like a bad sign on the Panther's recruiting front, but 50 is an improvement over the previous class
So it looks like both of our programs need to do better in the future , because both seemed to have regressed in getting the talented players in class of 2023 signing on

Mike Teel checks in:

Eh. This is like HS highlight videos.

Has there ever been an ex-player releasing a statement that a bad hire was made?

Maybe we should look at this recommendation from Teel?
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2018/01/john_mcnulty_chris_ash_mike_teel_rutgers_offensive.html

Reactions: NickRU714
never know.
If Schiano can start having more recruiting years like 2021(32) and less 2023 (63) type, Rutgers will be recruiting far better than you think possible 2022 wasn't that bad for recruiting but 40 isn't something to brag about, but not that bad.
With player development success Rutgers and Pitt might have bad recruiting years turn into a positive

As for Pitt, 2022 (63) and 2023 (50) recruiting seems like a bad sign on the Panther's recruiting front, but 50 is an improvement over the previous class
So it looks like both of our programs need to do better in the future , because both seemed to have regressed in getting the talented players in class of 2023 signing on
The biggest problem for Rutgers is they don’t play in the weakest division in P5. Look at Pitt’s conference schedule this year. They will not have played a single ranked team in their conference schedule. Rutgers will have played at least 3 Top 10 teams. Pitt would have been lucky to be .500 if they played Rutgers conference schedule.

The biggest problem for Rutgers is they don’t play in the weakest division in P5. Look at Pitt’s conference schedule this year. They will have played not a single ranked team in their conference schedule. Rutgers will have played at least 3 Top 10 teams. Pitt would have been lucky to be .500 if they played Rutgers conference schedule.
That is a point that is lost on Panther Growl and many RU fans who admire Pitt from afar without considering the level of competition for RU and Pitt.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
That is a point that is lost on Panther Growl and many RU fans who admire Pitt from afar without considering the level of competition for RU and Pitt.
actually I'm not looking at the type of competition Rutgers plays compared to Pitt, I was looking at the recruiting rankings when comparing and felt there wasn't that much difference between the two schools he last couple of years .
As for Pitt, not a fan or hater , whether I want them to win or lose depends on their opponent...

Hope Captain KirkC proves to be a good recruiter as well as making the O run like a charm

actually I'm not looking at the type of competition Rutgers plays compared to Pitt, I was looking at the recruiting rankings when comparing and felt there wasn't that much difference between the two schools he last couple of years .
As for Pitt, not a fan or hater , whether I want them to win or lose depends on their opponent...

Hope Captain KirkC proves to be a good recruiter as well as making the O run like a charm
I was not referring to you in my post. Earlier in the year someone had posted that Pitt is light years ahead of RU. My point to Pitt fans and and of our fans looking lovingly at Pitt is that they do not have to play three top 10/15 teams each year. When Wisconsin/Iowa are on, that my be 4 or 5 top 20 teams. ACC teams do not have to face that type of schedule, and it is an apples and oranges comparison.

Reactions: Kbee3 and MADHAT1
never know.

The point I am trying to make is that yearly national recruiting rankings are somewhat irrelevant in the the sense that recognition of talent and coaching/development can produce NFL caliber players (Don't have to be Rival 5/4 star recruits). Look at what you are posting as to the low rankings Pitt gets on national recruiting rankings. Yet look at what the NFL thinks about Pitt's Rival 3-star players. Two years ago the the NFL drafted 6 Pitt players (not counting free agents) all of the players drafted were Rival 3-star recruits. Damar Hamlin was a member of that class.

Last year, Kenny Pickett was a #1 Round NFL pick in the NFL but was again only a Rival 3-star recruit coming to Pitt.

Again, this year according to ESPN Top 100 football players Pitt will have 3 players in the Top 50 (somewhat amazing).
Again all of the players were recruited by Narduzzi and all came to Pitt as Rival 3-star recruits.
Jorden Addison (take credit for him) won the Biletnikoff award at Pitt before NIL transfer to USC.

As for Pitt's schedule it is not as easy as you think when you consider some of the tougher OOC games Pitt schedules.

This year Pitt's harder OOC games were West Virginia and Tennessee.
Next year OOC games will be Notre Dame, West Virginia and Cincinnati.

Rutgers will have to coach and develop Rival 3-star player similar to what Pitt (Narduzzi) has been able to do (IMHO).

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I was not referring to you in my post. Earlier in the year someone had posted that Pitt is light years ahead of RU. My point to Pitt fans and and of our fans looking lovingly at Pitt is that they do not have to play three top 10/15 teams each year. When Wisconsin/Iowa are on, that my be 4 or 5 top 20 teams. ACC teams do not have to face that type of schedule, and it is an apples and oranges comparison.
Yes too many are quick to praise other programs while making RU look inept.
Could be frustration over the direction RU FB is taking in their opinion and looking for a program to compare RU to in a negative way.
Once another school is mentioned a fan maybe more of school mentioned comes here talking about the comparison or maybe a another program's fan showing weaknesses in the way RU is compared to that other school
Sometimes a fan of another school will post a good comparison showing respect for Rutgers , but sometimes the comparison really isn't as respectful as it might seem, it is really a commercial praising that other school under the guise of talking about a Rutgers issue and that's not respecting Rutgers or this sites members

Reactions: Knight Shift
The biggest problem for Rutgers is they don’t play in the weakest division in P5. Look at Pitt’s conference schedule this year. They will not have played a single ranked team in their conference schedule. Rutgers will have played at least 3 Top 10 teams. Pitt would have been lucky to be .500 if they played Rutgers conference schedule.

But Rutgers signed up for this.
Everyone talks about how better financially we are in the Big Ten than ACC or AAC.
Well that's why we have the schedule we do.
Can't have one without the other.

A lot of people seem to skip over this.
The whole "Sure Team X won. But let them play our schedule and see the results" is total BS.

These other schools aren't getting tens of millions more to fund their program like Rutgers is year after year.
Want an easier schedule? Give up the money then too.

But Rutgers signed up for this.
Everyone talks about how better financially we are in the Big Ten than ACC or AAC.
Well that's why we have the schedule we do.
Can't have one without the other.

A lot of people seem to skip over this.
The whole "Sure Team X won. But let them play our schedule and see the results" is total BS.

These other schools aren't getting tens of millions more to fund their program like Rutgers is year after year.
Want an easier schedule? Give up the money then too.
I don't think that is what anyone here has advocated for.

Only 22 years ago Rutgers was one of the most inept, if not the most inept football program in the country. Then Greg came, and along the way the old, respected and formidable Big East football conference started to crumble and then it disappeared, morphing into the American Athletic Conference in 2013. Greg made a lot of gains along the way, and Rutgers football was on solid footing and poised to make a solid entry into the B1G.

But Rutgers did the Rutgers thing and let the factions who complained about money spent on athletics to cheap out on a head coach and his assistant budget leaving a guy who should never have been hired as a head coach to nose dive the program. Our flagship year in the B1G was 2014, largely because someone found it OK to spend $500K (IIRC) on Ralph Friedgen as an OC.

After that, we know what happened. We let the BOG drive the hiring bus off the cliff, and they listened to Barry Alvarez and Urban Meyer sing the praises and rubber stamp the hire of another disASHter of a head coach. As if Flood had not plumbed the depths of low, Ash sank us lower.

We actually have yet to receive "more" money. Remember, we got a shit deal on the way in. In 2020, Rutgers got $28.64 Million, and in 2021, $43.71 Million.
You know what others are/were getting up until recently? More than double:

bKbDuqB.jpg

What we are getting is pretty much on par with what we would have gotten in the ACC.

So maybe now that the money playing field will soon be "level," and for the first time since our entry into the B1G we have a defensive coordinator and an offensive coordinator with B1G experience at another team, and a willingness to spend money to get coordinators and coaches, things will level out. Last time Rutgers opened up the wallet to get a pro with experience in Ralph Friedgen, RU did pretty well. Maybe the last time we did that was with Ash, and even with the Ash handicap, having Jerry Kill on staff paid dividends, giving Ash his "best" year at Rutgers at 4-8//3-6. But remember, we had Jay Niemann as DC.

Next year will be the first time in B1G history RU will have two seasoned coordinators with B1G experience at other schools as coordinators. Maybe it will make a difference. Maybe it won't. And the money will be rolling in too. Who's with me, besides @rutgersal ?

Let's gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gleeson would call that play. He had no issues dialing up trick plays. It was his base O that was a disaster
I don’t watch NFL anymore and I was a Raiders fan. I just came across that on twitter and I had a hard time believing that was real. Thought it was a video game or something haha.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT