ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers set to play No. 1 Baylor in Jimmy V Classic / Rutgers Dropped Out

Yes, we are by far the closest B1G institution to the Garden but that should mean we could be the frequent choice as the "away" team, rather than having to give up more than our share of home games. If, in fact, the original arrangement was for each conference school to play a "home" game at the Garden, we shouldn't be due again for another 22 or 23 years!

The Baylor game is great for us. That is not what was being questioned.
+1

Not sure why this is so hard to understand?

No one is complaining about this particular game/date, opponent, tournament or location.

Last edited:
Please let us be able to attend game. Kill this damn virus!

Interestingly,Baylor also plays at Seton Hall in Big East Big 12 challenge this year

If the Jimmy V doubleheader sells out, it would be a HUGE statement. The Jimmy V Classic is usually on a Tuesday night and we know all the excuses RU fans come up with when it comes to attending weeknight games...

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Just a little tidbit here. I'm pretty sure the first time I became aware of Baylor University was in 1979, when I was a freshman in high school. The Seattle Supersonics had two consecutive picks (#6 and #7) in the NBA draft that year. They chose James Bailey at No. 6 and Vinnie Johnson at No. 7.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_NBA_draft

130208-8670486Fr.jpg

130208-8670492Fr.jpg

Johnson has done well for himself (to say the least) after hanging up his uniform...
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/nba/vinnie-johnson-net-worth/

Last edited:
Just a little tidbit here. I'm pretty sure the first time I became aware of Baylor University was in 1979, when I was a freshman in high school. The Seattle Supersonics had two consecutive picks (#6 and #7) in the NBA draft that year. They chose James Bailey at No. 6 and Vinnie Johnson at No. 7.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_NBA_draft

130208-8670486Fr.jpg

130208-8670492Fr.jpg

Johnson has done well for himself (to say the least) after hanging up his uniform...
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/nba/vinnie-johnson-net-worth/
Wow. Did not know that Vinnie Johnson the microwave from Brooklyn went to Baylor.

Reactions: satnom and shields
If the Jimmy V doubleheader sells out, it would be a HUGE statement. The Jimmy V Classic is usually on a Tuesday night and we know all the excuses RU fans come up with when it comes to attending weeknight games...

That was my next question. Personal day that Wednesday sounds great to me!

I like it a lot.

But do see the concern about having a HOME game played there. The one against Sparty and not this one.

Anyone else in the B1G have this done?

Did you go to the Michigan game at MSG this year? MSG made it look like a home game for Michigan. Lights in the areana were their yellow and blue colors, handing out Michigan towels to fans, and handing out yellow and blue palm palms to fans. It was pretty surprising how Michigan sided the arena felt as i sat lower level. Almost all courtside seats were Michigan fans as they probably had priority on those seats too. It will be pretty cool seeing all that done for RU this year as they don't do that for neutral site games.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Did you go to the Michigan game at MSG this year? MSG made it look like a home game for Michigan. Lights in the areana were their yellow and blue colors, handing out Michigan towels to fans, and handing out yellow and blue palm palms to fans. It was pretty surprising how Michigan sided the arena felt as i sat lower level. Almost all courtside seats were Michigan fans as they probably had priority on those seats too. It will be pretty cool seeing all that done for RU this year as they don't do that for neutral site games.
Did they do that for us against Wisky in 2017?

Love this

but surprised that people think that everything will be back to normal. Can’t see any games in 2020 in NYC with fans or at least some form of social distancing.

Reactions: RU_kidding_me
Unlike football in the sterile plastic bowl in the swamp (MetLife), I would love b-ball games at MSG any chance we get, whether it’s home away or neutral. There is nothing like heading into NYC in the weeks between thanksgiving and Christmas time, getting a SuperPretzel or hot dog and heading into the World’s most famous arena .. and the atmosphere doesn’t take a huge hit from the RAC unlike MetLife, if anything could be even crazier, I’m all for it !

Unlike football in the sterile plastic bowl in the swamp (MetLife), I would love b-ball games at MSG any chance we get, whether it’s home away or neutral. There is nothing like heading into NYC in the weeks between thanksgiving and Christmas time, getting a SuperPretzel or hot dog and heading into the World’s most famous arena .. and the atmosphere doesn’t take a huge hit from the RAC unlike MetLife, if anything could be even crazier, I’m all for it !
I don’t mind it either for things like this. Or playing St. John’s (or Fordham, Manhattan, Iona, etc.) there every other year. Even being the away team for a B1G game is fine too.

But not giving up a regular home game.

LOVE big games like htis in early season.. provides a big target with which to motivate players in off-season training and in preseason practices

BEAT BAYLOR.. those peeps are creepy

This is fantastic news. Will give our guys even more motivation to work extra hard these next 6 months before the season starts.

Also, playing #1 still makes us the hunter — and this team thrives on that.

I was there and as an "FYI" it was the Michigan Alumni Club, not "MSG," handing out the towels and poms. No reason we couldn't have done the same. Also, there were plenty of RU fans in the lower level, I'd say close to even actually.

In regards to when we played Wisconsin so many RU people were complaining long in advance of the game that we were losing a home game. They were whining for months and many refused to go to MSG. It was pathetic. Wisconsin was ranked and we took them into OT and we should have won in regulation. If more of our fans had attended and rooted for us we probably could have won. So many fans complained about hating to take the train and going to MSG. I feel it is an event when we go to MSG like when we played in the semis and finals of the NIT against Iowa State and Michigan. In 2018 we packed the BIG Tournament in MSG and that is the way I feel it should be whenever we play at MSG. We don't need the whiners.I love it whenever we play at MSG.

In regards to when we played Wisconsin so many RU people were complaining long in advance of the game that we were losing a home game. They were whining for months and many refused to go to MSG. It was pathetic. Wisconsin was ranked and we took them into OT and we should have won in regulation. If more of our fans had attended and rooted for us we probably could have won. So many fans complained about hating to take the train and going to MSG. I feel it is an event when we go to MSG like when we played in the semis and finals of the NIT against Iowa State and Michigan. In 2018 we packed the BIG Tournament in MSG and that is the way I feel it should be whenever we play at MSG. We don't need the whiners.I love it whenever we play at MSG.
Agree.

When it’s an actual event...B1G tournament, NIT, Christmas tournament, etc.

Why wouldn't they just play it at MSG? For the multiple team tournaments I get it but the Jimmy V is a single-day thing.

Why wouldn't they just play it at MSG? For the multiple team tournaments I get it but the Jimmy V is a single-day thing.
Probably has something to do with the garbage mayor of that city basically trying to do everything in his power to make everyone miserable

ADVERTISEMENT