ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers should cut football ticket prices to increase attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metro park. It was flawless. As I remember it. Is there a regular problem now? I recall they had a sick out one weekend.
Drive up? Or leave from work?

Sometimes I will go as far as Matawan before I get on. I like the control of getting home sooner by going down the Parkway, 18 or 34.

Rutgers should make tickets and buses available to students at the Newark and Camden campuses. The school also needs to come up with an efficient way for people from NYC to come to the games. The last game I went to was a Thursday night game several years ago, I drove in and it took me 3 hours to get home, almost 2 in the morning. I have never had an interest in going to a game in person after that.
You think RU Newark and Camden students want to be bussed to NB for RU FB games?

Is it time for the return of the family 4 pack? 4 upper level seats, 4 sodas and 4 hot dogs for $99, or maybe $119?

Last edited:

Sometimes I will go as far as Matawan before I get on. I like the control of getting home sooner by going down the Parkway, 18 or 34.
We went to office that day, and walked across the street to the station. That change of trains in Long Branch sucks.

NJ Transit has submitted a huge budget increase. I wonder if they plan to electrify the rails all the way to Bay Head? They have electric buses at the airport. One would think that they want to eliminate the diesel engines?

I buy 15 dollar tickets on StubHub and sit in the young alumni section near the end zone. No reason to pay full freight until the team improves. Then you have the free giveaways which amounts to the thousands of tickets. If you're paying full price you're doing it wrong.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I buy 15 dollar tickets on StubHub and sit in the young alumni section near the end zone. No reason to pay full freight until the team improves. Then you have the free giveaways which amounts to the thousands of tickets. If you're paying full price you're doing it wrong.
I don’t see it that way.

I pay for season tickets because it’s my school and those are my seats.

And if my little extra I need to pay for the “gift” to sit where I want to sit gets something for the program, great.

If not, I still feel I am helping, even if it’s a little bit in the eyes of some.

We went to office that day, and walked across the street to the station. That change of trains in Long Branch sucks.

NJ Transit has submitted a huge budget increase. I wonder if they plan to electrify the rails all the way to Bay Head? They have electric buses at the airport. One would think that they want to eliminate the diesel engines?
I thought for the Coast Line they are all combo diesel/electric now and you don’t have to switch at Long Branch? Maybe I’m wrong.🤷‍♂️

You think RU Newark and Camden students want to be bussed to NB for RU FB games?

Is it time for the return of the family 4 pack? 4 upper level seats, 4 sodas and 4 hot dogs for $99, or maybe $119?
I used to love that for the Trenton Devils/Titans…

$50 for 4 seats, 4 hot dogs, 4 sodas and 4 bag of chips. Only $5 to park too.

And no, I don’t think RU-Newark and RU-Camden people want to be bussed to a game. At least not enough to make it work financially.

Yes, they are college students. They are looking for fun things to do. It is something worth trying, if it doesn’t work the plug can be pulled.

The $73 million was a one-time event for the year when the pandemic meant there was no one in the seats, and hence no ticket revenue. Otherwise it's bogus.

I continue to think that it is more important to make the stadium experience nicer than to cut prices. Winning helps; just having an explosive offense helps. Dealing with hassles like concessions and bag checks helps too.

have a kids under 10 are free day or something akin to this

pricing definitely matters and to think otherwise is foolish, especially so given the product on the field and competing priorities.

pricing definitely matters and to think otherwise is foolish, especially so given the product on the field and competing priorities.
While I'm not as convinced that pricing is important, I think discounts for kids are great ways to demonstrate family-friendliness and to produce tomorrow's fans.

1. Been suggested
2. Been suggested
3. Been suggested
4. Don't really have control over that or the weather
Need action on the Suggestions if we want RU to move from the bottom of B1G Attendance levels.

need to make the whole experience a little more affordable.
Ticket prices will be paid at higher ends when they start winning and demand dictates this....
but.. there are a lot of "one and done" family experiences, as the tix are $$high, but the food prices are crazy, beer is out of sight, soft drinks and water $$$... families will not return, and if they lose that re-enforces it.
** i always said, someone will buy only 2 x $11 beers = $22, cause a 3rd will be $33.
but if you charge $9 x 3, it is $27, and $5+ more than the $22 at 2.
Same with other foods. I see families sharing portions cause it is too high... and the food quality is inconsistent.
** give fans a reason to return other than the most important reason of just winning.

I disagree that the food is inconsistent. It's pretty consistently bad.

I used to love that for the Trenton Devils/Titans…

$50 for 4 seats, 4 hot dogs, 4 sodas and 4 bag of chips. Only $5 to park too.

And no, I don’t think RU-Newark and RU-Camden people want to be bussed to a game. At least not enough to make it work financially.
There are dorms at Rutgers-Camden, and you could run buses from there. It would be about an hour and twenty minutes (30 East to 73 South and then up the Turnpike from Exit 4) The dorms are right on the River Line, so maybe instead you could pick kids up where the River Line ends in Trenton.

I never thought there was much interest in Rutgers football at the Camden campus until so many Camden students went to the Rutgers-Temple game at the Linc some years ago. So maybe it would make financial sense.

There are dorms at Rutgers-Camden, and you could run buses from there. It would be about an hour and twenty minutes (30 East to 73 South and then up the Turnpike from Exit 4) The dorms are right on the River Line, so maybe instead you could pick kids up where the River Line ends in Trenton.

I never thought there was much interest in Rutgers football at the Camden campus until so many Camden students went to the Rutgers-Temple game at the Linc some years ago. So maybe it would make financial sense.
For that game at the Linc, sure.

Heading up the Turnpike, not so much IMO.

While I'm not as convinced that pricing is important, I think discounts for kids are great ways to demonstrate family-friendliness and to produce tomorrow's fans.
If you tell a parent their kid(s) get in free and will be fed, also included…they’ll come.

A voucher for a hot dog and a small soda/water can’t cost much.

Pop Warner/Youth Football Day should include something like this.

If the team is doing well, kids from the Camden campus will want to be there. It's not as though there's a football team at the Camden campus.
Did they come to the Temple game up here?

I don’t know but probably not.

I don’t see it that way.

I pay for season tickets because it’s my school and those are my seats.

And if my little extra I need to pay for the “gift” to sit where I want to sit gets something for the program, great.

If not, I still feel I am helping, even if it’s a little bit in the eyes of some.
That's totally fine to support the program how you want to. Just saying that there is no ground for someone complaining that tickets are too expensive in our current program state. Plenty of options for those who don't want to or can't pay full freight.

Rutgers should make tickets and buses available to students at the Newark and Camden campuses. The school also needs to come up with an efficient way for people from NYC to come to the games. The last game I went to was a Thursday night game several years ago, I drove in and it took me 3 hours to get home, almost 2 in the morning. I have never had an interest in going to a game in person after that.
It took you 3 hrs after a Thursday night game to drive home to NYC?

Damn shame NJ never invested in a proper Shore Line that would run similar to that of the NE corridor line. They could have express and local lines that feed properly into the main line in or past Rahway that goes all the way down to AC. Can you imagine the boost to property and real estate values and development along such a line?

That's totally fine to support the program how you want to. Just saying that there is no ground for someone complaining that tickets are too expensive in our current program state. Plenty of options for those who don't want to or can't pay full freight.
I think the point is a change in prices could be beneficial to bring in more fans.. to develop the fan base.. and, at least imo, you cannot do that while maintaining higher prices for the existing fan base to keep the tickets they have supported the program with... you'd alienate some fans that way. But it is not about current fans complaining about ticket prices.

Of course, the concept of lowering prices to increase fans in order to be a more sucessful operation.. that is a very arguable point. If it doesn't work you are throwing away, what.. $5M? $8M? All depends on how aggressive you get and how much you spend marketing the new plan. But with revenues increasing as we become a full member, there's never been a better time to try something like this.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Yes, they are college students. They are looking for fun things to do. It is something worth trying, if it doesn’t work the plug can be pulled.
They bussed Newark and Camden students to an opening weekend game and it was an utter failure. Very little interest and the kid's that did come wanted to leave before the scheduled return time. I remember talking to one of the security guards on the way out and asked why there were so many kids on the steps outside the student section exit.

For a noon kickoff kids from Camden would have to be on a bus close to 9:00-9:30 am the latest and they would not be boarding a bus until 4:00 the earliest. No traffic or delays your not looking at getting back to Camden until 5:30 the earliest. Yea sign me up for a 9-10 hr day.

Making tickets cheaper won't increase attendance as much as winning will. The attendance isn't lacking because the tickets are expensive. It's lacking because there hasn't been a winning season in almost a decade. People are bandwagon jumpers. They'll jump on when the team is successful. They'll jump off when it isn't. They'll put up with inept crowd and traffic management when the team is winning. If they're losing, all but the diehards will stay home.

Reactions: oldiji
They bussed Newark and Camden students to an opening weekend game and it was an utter failure. Very little interest and the kid's that did come wanted to leave before the scheduled return time. I remember talking to one of the security guards on the way out and asked why there were so many kids on the steps outside the student section exit.

For a noon kickoff kids from Camden would have to be on a bus close to 9:00-9:30 am the latest and they would not be boarding a bus until 4:00 the earliest. No traffic or delays your not looking at getting back to Camden until 5:30 the earliest. Yea sign me up for a 9-10 hr day.
Basketball doesn't have to bus people in.

The only way they would feel differently is if the team was really good and there was a huge game, say a match up with Ohio State and cameras all around and electricity in the air. Then I bet they'd be excited--but so would everyone else. At the end of the day only wins put a**es in seats. The rest is marginal.
Agree. I can't imagine there is that much need or desire from students on Newark and Camden campuses to be bussed and granted tickets to a football game. Unless of course it is a big game match up in which they would not be needed in the first place.
I know people that have attended Newark and Camden campuses. There are very few people that stay on campus on weekends. Much less get involved in weekend student activities.

Back in the day, for a noon kickoff I'd be in the Scarlet Lot setting up the tailgate by 9am. Miss those times, even though for most of those years we'd be getting beat by the likes of Villanova, Maine and Tulane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT