ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers students sound off about remote instruction during the coronavirus outbreak

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Rutgers University students shared their experiences during the first week of remote instruction, which is how they will learn for the rest of the spring semester because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Safety and convenience were common positives, while technology difficulties and a lack of discussion were among the negatives.

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/sto...IQvS7kl-IfwTaz7mOXFTzU7fKDUrWTb9_-hx-M-Az73Kk

I'm not surprised. I wonder how I could have effectively taught my classes remotely. I relied on calling on students, asking them questions, and then working with the answers. I wouldn't need a visual platform necessarily, but I would want to be able to talk to individuals and for all students to hear/see their answers. A lot of faculty are trying to figure this out; I think things will probably get better. But I can't blame the students for feeling frustrated. I also think there are some faculty who are just sending out written lecture notes, which means there's no opportunity for interaction.

I am glad there are virtual office hours. If I were still teaching, I'd do my best to be available every day for almost all of the day.

ADVERTISEMENT