ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers taking HUGE hit in Football Ticket revenue Sarge article Details.

That's fine, but for people to believe we would have been invited to the B1G without the perception of the program he achieved is ridiculous.

Totally agree. I hate the constant denigration of Schiano on this board. He had his faults, just as everyone does, but he accomplished what he was brought here to do: make the football team competitive enough that the Big Ten would want us.

Haven't read through the thread - are there actual morons saying we would've been invited to the B1G without the success RU had under Schiano, including the upgrades in facilities and the Stadium expansion?

I've also never understood the people who take shots at Greg. Not perfect, but so much better than anything we've had since Burns and since he left, plus he simply made Rutgers relevant in big time football for the first time ever. That's ever.

Even a better question: does the basketball hire (which Hobbs made himself) look like a good hire as of today? I'd bet most say "yes."

What poor hires has Hobbs made then, besides Ash in other sports? At least some others such as softball and gymnastics appear to be doing well. I'm going to guess that Hobbs isn't a softball or gymnastics expert, but somehow figured those hires out (or spoke to / learned from the right people).

Many, including me, have explained many times that he chose Ash poorly and multiplied that error by giving him a poor contract (from Rutgers' standpoint). Right now, his overall record is such that he gets another shot to make a good hire.

He did have a pretty stupid screw up not firing the women's swimming coach properly who we are now paying.

He did have a pretty stupid screw up not firing the women's swimming coach properly who we are now paying.

No question that situation was handled poorly. Looks like the results of the team under the new coach, who was an internal promotion, are roughly on par with before so that program as a whole is one on the needs improvement list.

There are other things too, including the $500k buyout to get out of the UCLA football series. Not sure I understand how that could be a bang for your buck type of decision.

With all that said, some programs seem to be improving to a level not seen in years at Rutgers, so some people working for Hobbs must be doing something right. And his non-Ash hires in particular seem to be good ones. So for the question of "can this guy find the right football coach?" there seems to be plenty of evidence that he can.

I thought it was after. If not, then I guess we are in year 4 of 10. 6 years is a long buyout. Regardless of what this Board thinks, I don't think Rutgers will pay for that buyout absent private funds. We may be stuck here for another two or three years. Unfortunate, but real. However, every downside has a silver lining. For those that are feeling entrepreneurial, stock up on paper bags with pre-cut eyeholes to sell to those attending games in 2021!

It is not year 4 of 10. The contract / buyout details have been posted many times. In the simplest terms, it is year 4 of 7. There is no buyout. Instead, Ash will be receiving paychecks through the end of the contract term in early 2023 whether he coaches or not -- offset by any other football salary he earns. As of December 1 2019, Ash will be owed roughly $8 million more guaranteed.

Reactions: rucoe89
I know this is a thread mostly about Hobbs, but I’m curious if there’s anyone on here who still believes that Ash can get it done. I’m not trying to dump on the guy but it sure seems like almost everyone has already accepted that he’s not the answer.

No question that situation was handled poorly. Looks like the results of the team under the new coach, who was an internal promotion, are roughly on par with before so that program as a whole is one on the needs improvement list.

There are other things too, including the $500k buyout to get out of the UCLA football series. Not sure I understand how that could be a bang for your buck type of decision.

With all that said, some programs seem to be improving to a level not seen in years at Rutgers, so some people working for Hobbs must be doing something right. And his non-Ash hires in particular seem to be good ones. So for the question of "can this guy find the right football coach?" there seems to be plenty of evidence that he can.

Yes, scheduling is also another issue I have. Replacing UCLA with Cuse and BC was incredibly shortsighted. Took potential wins off and replaced them with near certain losses with horrible recruiting implications. Playing Monmouth could potentially be an extreme disaster in the making.

I don't think Hobbs has a pulse on football sometimes...some of his takes have been so crazy that they have nearly united this board which is an impressive feat.

At this point as long as Ash is canned this year for anything less than 6 wins I guess Hobbs can have another shot at it. However if for some reason Hobbs followed Ash out the door I wouldn't be too sad about it.

Yes, scheduling is also another issue I have. Replacing UCLA with Cuse and BC was incredibly shortsighted. Took potential wins off and replaced them with near certain losses with horrible recruiting implications. Playing Monmouth could potentially be an extreme disaster in the making.

I don't think Hobbs has a pulse on football sometimes...some of his takes have been so crazy that they have nearly united this board which is an impressive feat.

At this point as long as Ash is canned this year for anything less than 6 wins I guess Hobbs can have another shot at it. However if for some reason Hobbs followed Ash out the door I wouldn't be too sad about it.

If Ash wins 5 this year he almost certainly will not be let go. Probably not with 4 wins either.

I don't think there is much of a chance Rutgers wins 4 or 5 games this season so if that does somehow happen, something will have gone right.

In theory, there would be positives if that does happen and Ash is retained. One (again, in theory) is that each passing year more $$ should be available for the next staff, both because less will be owed to Ash and because of the increased conference revenues.

On the obvious negative side, even with 4 or 5 wins it will be another pretty dark off season as compared to the excitement that would come with a new staff.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

I'm okay with a change in the scheduling philosophy, just not in wasting funds to needlessly implement it immediately. You don't just throw 500k away when you're scrapping for every dollar.

giphy.gif

I'm okay with a change in the scheduling philosophy, just not in wasting funds to needlessly implement it immediately. You don't just throw 500k away when you're scrapping for every dollar.

I agree...though I am curious as to the mentality of scheduling teams we basically could shut out of NJ with just being mediocre on the field.

NOT for Football which he has zero background in.
Allowing Hobbs to hire the new football HC.

If he had 5 wins, no blowouts, dramatic improvement on both offense and defense, and 5 four-star recruits committed for 2020.... that would be about the barest minimum justification for bringing him back, imo.
another reason we should have already fired him. Zero chance on not getting blown out by Ohio State and zero chance on the 5 four-stars. 5 wins is a big ask but not impossible.

Did RU fans ever get a reason we dropped UCLA? I don’t recall hearing one.

I agree...though I am curious as to the mentality of scheduling teams we basically could shut out of NJ with just being mediocre on the field.

I think the thought was that long road trips have negatives, including spending a road trip to a place that Rutgers doesn't ordinarily recruit. Of course, almost nothing will help if the team can't be competitive, and as you allude to, playing BC / Syracuse could be even more negative by giving those teams a chance to showcase themselves as superior to Rutgers.

If he had 5 wins, no blowouts, dramatic improvement on both offense and defense, and 5 four-star recruits committed for 2020.... that would be about the barest minimum justification for bringing him back, imo.

While I agree with you, I don't think Hobbs does. You're thinking what does Ash actually have to show to prove he could actually be successful at Rutgers? I think at this point Hobbs will be looking for any justification (which has been defined as on field results and record improvement) to bring Ash back. It is the 3 win season that would actually be a tough call for Hobbs I suspect.

While I agree with you, I don't think Hobbs does. You're thinking what does Ash actually have to show to prove he could actually be successful at Rutgers? I think at this point Hobbs will be looking for any justification (which has been defined as on field results and record improvement) to bring Ash back. It is the 3 win season that would actually be a tough call for Hobbs I suspect.

Yeah - without a big turnaround on the field in terms of wins (perception), a big turnaround in terms of production (offense and defense, showing significant player development and improved coaching), and a big turnaround in recruiting (signs of future life in a stacked division), I don't any reason to retain him. If we don't see big gains in all of those areas OR a change in coach, I'll almost certainly be dropping my season tickets for 2020.

Four years is more than enough time to show a pulse.

Reactions: BlockR and Wolv RU
Hobbs should fire himself if he thinks the fan base will buy into another year of Asherror with 3 wins.

Did RU fans ever get a reason we dropped UCLA? I don’t recall hearing one.

Not to my knowledge. Ash whined about having to open the season in Washington, so it was probably that he didn't want to open the season on the west coast in 2020. UCLA reportedly offered to flip the dates (playing at RU in 2020 and hosting in 2021), but RU wasn't interested.

Was really looking forward to that UCLA game and with both programs rebuilding there was a chance the post Ash HC could have won that game. Would have been a nice scalp. And LAX is usually a cheap flight from EWR.

But no...instead we will get throttled by BC and Cuse and those teams will be able to promise a win in front of NJ friends and family to recruits.

Really sickening when you consider from 2003-12 we beat Cuse 7 of 10 meetings.

Was really looking forward to that UCLA game and with both programs rebuilding there was a chance the post Ash HC could have won that game. Would have been a nice scalp. And LAX is usually a cheap flight from EWR.

But no...instead we will get throttled by BC and Cuse and those teams will be able to promise a win in front of NJ friends and family to recruits.

Really sickening when you consider from 2003-12 we beat Cuse 7 of 10 meetings.

Losing Mentality.

Reactions: Steve91562
It is not year 4 of 10. The contract / buyout details have been posted many times. In the simplest terms, it is year 4 of 7. There is no buyout. Instead, Ash will be receiving paychecks through the end of the contract term in early 2023 whether he coaches or not -- offset by any other football salary he earns. As of December 1 2019, Ash will be owed roughly $8 million more guaranteed.
In that case possible for eating only 3 or less. Not great, but this is where we are at.

In that case possible for eating only 3 or less. Not great, but this is where we are at.

My totally uninformed guess is that the university would eat Ash's contract if there is no progress this year. But I doubt the administration would insist on five wins, or even something close to that.

The next thread on this board that stays remotely on topic will be the first.

To the question @MrsScrew raised on page 1 - and, again, disclaiming the small sample size (100ish) and the fact that said sample consists solely of the rather whiny people on this board...

Last year, the average number of seats per season ticket holder (per my small data set) was 4.45.

This year, the average number of seats per remaining season ticket holder from that same sample population is 2.74.

Reactions: RUnTeX and BlockR
I think the thought was that long road trips have negatives, including spending a road trip to a place that Rutgers doesn't ordinarily recruit. Of course, almost nothing will help if the team can't be competitive, and as you allude to, playing BC / Syracuse could be even more negative by giving those teams a chance to showcase themselves as superior to Rutgers.

The thought at the time was that Rutgers could be more competitive against these regional schools. No one knew that Su would blow up. Still I agree with the move. SU is a great road trip, and visiting dinosaur bbq will be worth it, no matter the outcome of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT