ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers taking HUGE hit in Football Ticket revenue Sarge article Details.

so we hire Flood to not lose that years recruiting cycle and he followed it up with several disappointing classes. Greg not only left us at the last minute but also gutted the coaching staff. Need to move on from him.

It's nice to shoot the sh!t about this stuff but at the EOD, Schiano isn't coming here because he simply doesn't want to while, some fans aside, RU doesn't want him due to how he left. That's my take anyway.

Except, supposedly Pernetti was in constant contact with Delany and knew that an invite to the Big Ten was pending. If Pernetti really had no clue that Rutgers would be invited to the Big Ten less than 10 months later, that supports the narrative that his role in getting us into the Big Ten was "answering the phone".
As Camden said, my impression is that he knew they were hoping to expand, but that timing was uncertain. It was also not a 'done deal' that MD was going to accept, in which case who knows? Lastly, I am pretty sure he mostly picked up the phone. It wasn't like our AD was all setup and ready go from any standpoint when the Big Ten invite came.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
My impression is that "pending" is too strong. Rutgers officials had long known that the Big Ten was very interested -- I know this goes back to the Mulcahy regime -- but couldn't know for sure until the invitation was issued if that would work out. I am sure that Pernetti did more than "answer the phone."

Sure. The Big Ten had Rutgers on their radar since Pernetti was a freshman in college. But that doesn't mean that Pernetti actually did anything to move the Big Ten to extend the invitation.

If Pernetti was actively involved in discussions with the Big Ten, he certainly would have known in January that an invitation was pending. Pitt, Syracuse, and WVU had already decided to leave the Big East. Pernetti, if he were active, certainly would have had discussions with Delany about timing of a Big Ten invite versus remaining in a crumbling Big East. Maybe Pernetti didn't know that the invite would come in November vs the following year, but if he was in active discussions with the Big Ten, he would have known the invitation was going to happen soon and certainly within the tenure of whatever coach was hired to replace Schiano.

To claim that Pernetti was hamstrung by the crumbling Big East is to accept the narrative that he was just a passive observer in the Big Ten invitation, and that his role was essentially no more than "answering the phone".

If you believe that Pernetti had an active role in getting Rutgers into the Big Ten, then you can't really accept the claim that the crumbling Big East was a significant factor in his coach hiring decision.

Rutgers should look at hiring Schiano as a Football operations Director to get a plan in motion as to restructuring the whole football side and hiring the right head coach.
Roy Hobbs is clueless regarding football and yes Pernetti picked up the phone.Also Delany himself pushed for Rutgers.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Sure. The Big Ten had Rutgers on their radar since Pernetti was a freshman in college. But that doesn't mean that Pernetti actually did anything to move the Big Ten to extend the invitation.

If Pernetti was actively involved in discussions with the Big Ten, he certainly would have known in January that an invitation was pending. Pitt, Syracuse, and WVU had already decided to leave the Big East. Pernetti, if he were active, certainly would have had discussions with Delany about timing of a Big Ten invite versus remaining in a crumbling Big East. Maybe Pernetti didn't know that the invite would come in November vs the following year, but if he was in active discussions with the Big Ten, he would have known the invitation was going to happen soon and certainly within the tenure of whatever coach was hired to replace Schiano.

To claim that Pernetti was hamstrung by the crumbling Big East is to accept the narrative that he was just a passive observer in the Big Ten invitation, and that his role was essentially no more than "answering the phone".

If you believe that Pernetti had an active role in getting Rutgers into the Big Ten, then you can't really accept the claim that the crumbling Big East was a significant factor in his coach hiring decision.
I've said this before but to me there's nothing any AD does to get an invite beyond making the entire athletic department (specifically the major sports) high performing. Jurich (off the field stuff aside)was probably the only one who did anything to get his school into a P5 where they might not otherwise have been considered.

If you're wanted you're wanted and if you're not you're not. As all the others schools were abandoning ship I wasn't in a frenzy over it and not because of anything TP said, we're the only P5 school in the largest market in the country and eventually that would see us through and when the time was right it happened. It may have been expedited earlier in our history if we had been consistently high performing athletic department but that's about it.

My impression is that "pending" is too strong. Rutgers officials had long known that the Big Ten was very interested -- I know this goes back to the Mulcahy regime -- but couldn't know for sure until the invitation was issued if that would work out. I am sure that Pernetti did more than "answer the phone."
We were next in line to be invited when Nebraska became available: if that hadn't happened we probably would have gotten the invite then. There was a whole article from a few years ago floating around which explained how all that happened.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
I have advocated GS coming back, however, him leaving the Pats indicates he likely does not want to be HC anywhere at this time. Unless he just wanted some vacation before Ash's latest awful season and is waiting to ride in, he is not coming back here.

Given RU's track record, something tells me our admin and "big donors" would not be able to pull of such a coup without a leak and collapse.

Rutgers should look at hiring Schiano as a Football operations Director to get a plan in motion as to restructuring the whole football side and hiring the right head coach.
Roy Hobbs is clueless regarding football and yes Pernetti picked up the phone.Also Delany himself pushed for Rutgers.

There really is no need to do this at all. You just make the right coaching hire. When you do, you don't need someone looking over their shoulder or "restructuring the whole football side."

Hiring the right coach isn't rocket science. Many ADs do it all the time. Hopefully Hobbs has learned a thing or two about the process. If nothing else, even if he totally believes in Ash, he better have a full plan ready to go by November for the hiring process.

Trying to go back in time will have all the same hallmarks of creating another difficult situation. Start fresh with someone who possesses the important qualities and go on from there.

This. Pernetti's hiring of Flood and Rice destroyed both programs within a few years and left the stains of major scandals on those programs and Rutgers University. Now we're trying to pick up the pieces and it sucks. Hoops is finally recovering and hopefully on the precipice of success under Pikiell and football has returned to Shea Error futility. If Ash starts out 1-5 with losses to BC and at Indiana, I hope we fire him then. Worst case is he wins 3-4 games, with this easier schedule, and we keep him. Of course it would be great to win 6 and re-energize the program and maybe Ash finally becomes a success, but that is highly unlikely.

By the way, I don't recall seeing the updated Sergeant article anywhere. Here it is...

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...ason-in-depth-look-at-a-record-shortfall.html

This. Pernetti's hiring of Flood and Rice destroyed both programs within a few years and left the stains of major scandals on those programs and Rutgers University. Now we're trying to pick up the pieces and it sucks. Hoops is finally recovering and hopefully on the precipice of success under Pikiell and football has returned to Shea Error futility. If Ash starts out 1-5 with losses to BC and at Indiana, I hope we fire him then. Worst case is he wins 3-4 games, with this easier schedule, and we keep him. Of course it would be great to win 6 and re-energize the program and maybe Ash finally becomes a success, but that is highly unlikely.

By the way, I don't recall seeing the updated Sergeant article anywhere. Here it is...

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...ason-in-depth-look-at-a-record-shortfall.html

The ticket sale numbers are likely going to be a horror show this year unless Ash pulls a rabbit out of his hat. I’m hoping against it but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s all but unofficially let go by mid season (I doubt Hobbs will publicly throw him under the bus; if anything, maybe it ends up being like the Shea situation where IIRC he ‘resigned’ near the end of October/ early November of 2000).

Joe P.

There really is no need to do this at all. You just make the right coaching hire. When you do, you don't need someone looking over their shoulder or "restructuring the whole football side."

Hiring the right coach isn't rocket science. Many ADs do it all the time. Hopefully Hobbs has learned a thing or two about the process. If nothing else, even if he totally believes in Ash, he better have a full plan ready to go by November for the hiring process.

Trying to go back in time will have all the same hallmarks of creating another difficult situation. Start fresh with someone who possesses the important qualities and go on from there.
and you trust the guy who blew off Narduzzi and Fleck and stuck with Asherror to hire the next Head Coach?
Alright then..

Reactions: RU#1fan
and you trust the guy who blew off Narduzzi and Fleck and stuck with Asherror to hire the next Head Coach?
Alright then..

Pat will get a mulligan. He has made solid hires in other sports and been a total ace at fundraising. Chris Ash looked very good on paper, this issue was the contract he gave him and not firing him last season.

Pat will get a mulligan. He has made solid hires in other sports and been a total ace at fundraising. Chris Ash looked very good on paper, this issue was the contract he gave him and not firing him last season.

I know you can’t make decisions like this in real life but if it were possible Ash should have been let go immediately following the Kansas game last year, and if not then, we should have had a U-Haul at the Hale Center front doors before the final whistle of the Buffalo game...Hobbs definitely should get another chance at hiring a football coach, but right now ticket sales might as well read as follows:

Dear Mr. Hobbs,

We’re PISSED.

From,

Rutgers Fans

Joe P.

Publicly hiring an interim is a very bad idea. It's you as a school willingly losing out on a whole recruiting cycle.

Now with Flood we did that anyways, but still.

But that's what Ohio State did after Tressel had to resign. They made Fickell interim head coach. He clearly was not up to the task of being permanent HC so they went out and got some guy named Urban.

There was no reason to name an assistant with even limited coordinator experience as permanent HC. Flood would have accepted (I'd guess) the interim tag.
This process would enabled a more thorough coaching search. Would we have lost a recruit or 2? Perhaps. But maybe the disaster of 2013 doesn't happen when we lost 12 or 13 commitments.

Reactions: Wolv RU

Agree on this, but I would also add that Hobbs ought to get some serious search advice from someone very, very well respected in the field, who knows what it's like to try to build a winner in NJ. Anyone know a guy like that? :>)

Agree on this, but I would also add that Hobbs ought to get some serious search advice from someone very, very well respected in the field, who knows what it's like to try to build a winner in NJ. Anyone know a guy like that? :>)
Well, there's an assistant LB coach out at the University of North Dakota who is well qualified to become our next head coach. I also understand he interviews very well.

Hobbs has no clue when it comes to College Football.
Schiano as the new HC would improve the Program dramatically however Hobbs ego and stubbornness won’t allow for this to happen.

Well, there's an assistant LB coach out at the University of North Dakota who is well qualified to become our next head coach. I also understand he interviews very well.
Iowa wesleyan cornerbacks coach might be better fit?

Ace in fundraising,okay will go with that.
The other revenue sports that are above 500 are?

Most of the time advice from former coaches amounts to having them give you one of their friends to hire. There really is nothing magical about hiring a college football coach.

First time I've been here in forever - I simply cannot believe some of you people are STILL calling for Schiano to return to RU.

It's beyond pathetic. Move on. Stop trying to recapture the magic.

My goodness.
guess since you 'haven't been here in a forever" you may not be aware we didnt win a B10 game last season,beat a power five school and have won like 7 games in last three seasons combined..
So the only thing "pathetic" is the current state of the football program,with zero leadership or stated plan of attack to right the ship.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Don't be so dense all the time. Is basketball trending positively, yes or no?

Even a better question: does the basketball hire (which Hobbs made himself) look like a good hire as of today? I'd bet most say "yes."

What poor hires has Hobbs made then, besides Ash in other sports? At least some others such as softball and gymnastics appear to be doing well. I'm going to guess that Hobbs isn't a softball or gymnastics expert, but somehow figured those hires out (or spoke to / learned from the right people).

Many, including me, have explained many times that he chose Ash poorly and multiplied that error by giving him a poor contract (from Rutgers' standpoint). Right now, his overall record is such that he gets another shot to make a good hire.

There's zero chance we would have gotten a B1G invite without the resurection and success of the program at the hands of GS.
End of story!

None of it happens without Mulcahy -- right guy at the right time. And that last part is the key here. Find the right guy at the right time. It is 2019, and not 2006.

Reactions: RURod and TRU2RU
That ship has sailed.When you go winless in B10 play,lose to Buffalo and Kansas its too late.A whole additional season and recruiting cycle will now be wasted.
Bye the way its almost May,and Ash has ONE recruit in the class,one..
https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2020/big10/football.
Pikiell lost to Fordham and almost lost to Columbia this past season. Would you have bailed on him at Christmas time? While I am not expecting a good season out of this team, I am willing to see what happened. I had low expectations in 2005, especially after the Illinois loss to start things off despite leading. "Schiano will never get us there!" Later we had the L'ville stomping and "Schiano's teams are just not talented." But then, I got to enjoy my time in Arizona right after Christmas that year followed by an amazing 2006. My glass is not always half empty despite being critical at times.

This is fair and reasonable. The real issue with Ash is the contract extension. There was no need for that after 4-8. I think Hobbs knows he has egg on his face from that.

Reactions: goru7 and RUskoolie
That's fine, but for people to say anything other than that is ridiculous

Totally agree. I hate the constant denigration of Schiano on this board. He had his faults, just as everyone does, but he accomplished what he was brought here to do: make the football team competitive enough that the Big Ten would want us.

This is fair and reasonable. The real issue with Ash is the contract extension. There was no need for that after 4-8. I think Hobbs knows he has egg on his face from that.

Wasn't the extension part of the original deal? I suspect any other candidate would have demanded it with RU facing possible sanctions, thanks to Flood's and Hermann's incompetence and stupidity.

Reactions: jax26
Only because he hired GS...no other reason
Mulcahy had the vision that previous AD's lacked or refused to fight for , just needed the right HC to implement it.
Schiano proved Mulcahy's vision for Rutgers athletics was possible and brought with him a list of what was needed for him to make Rutgers a respectable football program.
Mulcahy and Schiano worked together to make RU FB into a respected program from a program once considered one of the worst in nation before Mulcahy set out to save it .

I give both credit, Mulcahy for knowing something had to be done differently than the way the Athletic Department treated footall and Schiano for making Mulcahy's vision a reality by the way he built RU FB into a good ( not great) and expanded it's fanbase and the expectations of it from : hope Rutgers has a winning season, to demanding ones and also expecting to be in the National Championship hunt or at least earn Major bowl invites every year.

edit: also have to include McCormick giving Mulcahy a free hand allowed Bob and Greg the freedom to get what was needed done without interference

Reactions: redking and TRU2RU
Wasn't the extension part of the original deal? I suspect any other candidate would have demanded it with RU facing possible sanctions, thanks to Flood's and Hermann's incompetence and stupidity.
The extension wording in the original deal was IIRC non-specific. It referred to "significant" sanctions, or some such synonym. Once the sanctions were announced, Hobbs didn't have to offer the extension. He could have argued that the sanctions weren't significant (and they weren't!) and tell Ash see you in court. I doubt Ash would have pursued it.

Besides, I find it incomprehensible that absence of the extension clause would have been a deal breaker. It's not like Ash was fighting off suitors.

The extension wording in the original deal was IIRC non-specific. It referred to "significant" sanctions, or some such synonym. Once the sanctions we're announced, Hobbs didn't have to offer the extension. He could have argued that the sanctions weren't significant (and they weren't!) and tell Ash see you in court. I doubt Ash would have pursued it.

Besides, I find it incomprehensible that absence of the extension clause would have been a deal breaker. It's not like Ash was fighting off suitors.

I am trying unsuccessfully to remember what the sanctions were.

I am trying unsuccessfully to remember what the sanctions were.
They did not involve either a bowl ban or a reduction in scholarships, which to me is the threshold of significance. The NCAA pretty much accepted our self-imposed sanctions, which IIRC centered around a reduction in official visits. I think the NCAA tacked on one additional probation year.

I thought it was after. If not, then I guess we are in year 4 of 10. 6 years is a long buyout. Regardless of what this Board thinks, I don't think Rutgers will pay for that buyout absent private funds. We may be stuck here for another two or three years. Unfortunate, but real. However, every downside has a silver lining. For those that are feeling entrepreneurial, stock up on paper bags with pre-cut eyeholes to sell to those attending games in 2021!

Reactions: RUaMoose
ADVERTISEMENT