ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers / Temple game moved to Thursday night

For people who have to work this essentially f's up the entire game experience as some arent able to just take off even with a couple months notice. i get the rationale's on why thurs night is great for some people but considering you only get 6 opportunities to tailgate and now 1 is already taken away, it's definitely a disappointment for all those in that situation (which i think is more that what seems compared to all the die-hards from the message board).

Hopefully atleast we'll get the later timing on Thurs night so there's a chance of a bit of time before having to go into the game.

For people who have to work this essentially f's up the entire game experience as some arent able to just take off even with a couple months notice. i get the rationale's on why thurs night is great for some people but considering you only get 6 opportunities to tailgate and now 1 is already taken away, it's definitely a disappointment for all those in that situation (which i think is more that what seems compared to all the die-hards from the message board).

Hopefully atleast we'll get the later timing on Thurs night so there's a chance of a bit of time before having to go into the game.
Who can’t take off with a couple of months notice? Serious question.

LOVE Thursday night games!!!
I loved Thursday night games when we were in a conference not known for football, no college football games were played on Thursday nights (and no NFL games either), and the PR and exposure was golden for us. Now, not so much.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Who can’t take off with a couple of months notice? Serious question.
i realize its possible to request/get the day off months in advance, but that doesnt mean it won't cause issues for some of those people either way. Some people dont have alot of vacation time so cant blow a day for this. Some are fans but maybe not superfans so losing a vaca day is less than ideal and not something they would consider. Some people have jobs that there is no coverage or they dont get paid if they dont work. i'm sure theres some more reasons too. And for those that do request the day off some have jobs where they have to be semi-working anyway which interferes anyway.

With the issues the world has had in the last few years, my complaint is hardly something i am truly going to actually be upset about...but since it's just a message board and people post whatever here, i figured i would throw it out there that it might be doing a favor for some but making it worse for others.

Are you a supporter of RU football and athletics or tailgating? Who the **** cares about tailgating. This is a smart move by Schiano and Hobbs. Crowd numbers would be worse over Labor Day weekend as most people hit last vacations. Thursday night puts more asses in the seats.

This is Schiano understanding NJ and northeast culture and how things work around here. If we had a top 10 team, the stadium would still be half empty on Saturday at noon Labor Day Weekend. It's just how it is here.

Friday was okay but even a lot of people are already off and away on Friday night.

Thursday gives everyone the opportunity to go and then continue with the Friday-Monday extended weekend.

Yup - it’s also the only Thursday in the season when NJ kids don’t have school the next day so it’s not going to deter families from attending. Knowing Schiano there will be fun activities planned outside before the game. It’s a very good call overall.

As for work - the game itself is after the work day. Most people who commute to the city aren’t yet going to be required to go in physically 5 days so making it to an evening game shouldn’t be an issue. Most people who works locally should not have a problem. If anything - this would be asking months in advance to leave by 3pm.

The game is more than three months away and will likely be a 7:30 or 8:00 start. Skip the tailgating. Almost every place I have worked at would let people miss a couple hours without pay. No need to lose a whole vacation/personal/sick day. Three months notice for an employer is A LOT of time unless the boss is a complete bozo.

Yup - it’s also the only Thursday in the season when NJ kids don’t have school the next day so it’s not going to deter families from attending. Knowing Schiano there will be fun activities planned outside before the game. It’s a very good call overall.

As for work - the game itself is after the work day. Most people who commute to the city aren’t yet going to be required to go in physically 5 days so making it to an evening game shouldn’t be an issue. Most people who works locally should not have a problem. If anything - this would be asking months in advance to leave by 3pm.
Also gives us 2 more days before Syracuse, pretty much zero downside to this move.

Also gives us 2 more days before Syracuse, pretty much zero downside to this move.
I get the idea, but Syracuse is almost as bad as Temple, Rutgers would have little trouble beating them if they played their backups against them on the Saturday right after the Thursday night game.

The game is more than three months away and will likely be a 7:30 or 8:00 start. Skip the tailgating. Almost every place I have worked at would let people miss a couple hours without pay. No need to lose a whole vacation/personal/sick day. Three months notice for an employer is A LOT of time unless the boss is a complete bozo.
Disagree about start time. IMO the latest it will be is 7:00. Would not be surprised if it's 6:00 or 6:30. I say this because this is the B1G preliminary game. They will want to provide at least some space between our game and the "feature" game, which is OSU@Minn on Fox. That game is likely to start between 8:15 and 9:00 ET.

We don't decide the start time. The conference does, in conjunction with its TV partners.

Reactions: Ataylor1989x
Thumbs up. Think I'm taking Friday off now and making this the kickoff of a four-day weekend.

Wait, who do we think actually made this decision as to what day this is happening?

Wait, who do we think actually made this decision as to what day this is happening?
qdtgQaz.gif

Worm, I will be stunned if it is a 6:00 kickoff in a weeknight on Labor Day weekend.Our first game with Schiano back with fans in Rutgers Stadium. Hobbs and Schiano didn’t just move to New Jersey. The mayors and police departments of Piscataway , New Brunswick, and East Brunswick would jump in as well. The traffic in the area would be a complete nightmare. I just don’t see any kickoff before 7:30.

Reactions: IMARUFAN
Are you a supporter of RU football and athletics or tailgating? Who the **** cares about tailgating. This is a smart move by Schiano and Hobbs. Crowd numbers would be worse over Labor Day weekend as most people hit last vacations. Thursday night puts more asses in the seats.
I'll be there either way and have put much blood sweat and tears into being part of the athletic program during college, working with them after and now just supporting. And none of that has anything to do with the fact that amongst all the people going to games, Id say most of them would say the overall experience is greater when you have both the tailgating part and the game vs just the game. If you disagree with that last part I don't know what to tell you.
I understand why this change is being done with tv/$...just doesnt mean it makes it better for all fans.
But like i said, this is not something that people need to get into a whole tizzy over as it was really just a comment/observation and not something i'm up in arms about.

Worm, I will be stunned if it is a 6:00 kickoff in a weeknight on Labor Day weekend.Our first game with Schiano back with fans in Rutgers Stadium. Hobbs and Schiano didn’t just move to New Jersey. The mayors and police departments of Piscataway , New Brunswick, and East Brunswick would jump in as well. The traffic in the area would be a complete nightmare. I just don’t see any kickoff before 7:30.
If the start time were up to Schiano, it would have been announced already. So we'll see.

Worm, if it is 6:00, I better get in my car here in Manchester and leave right now lol. As others have said, I still like this better than a Noon start on Saturday.

7:00 to 7:30 seems about right for kickoff.

6 seems too early for either TV or attendance.

Reactions: IMARUFAN
7:00 to 7:30 seems about right for kickoff.

6 seems too early for either TV or attendance.
I have not seen any recent comparable Big Ten games that started before 7. It also could easily start at 8 p.m.

One note is that Ohio State at Minnesota will take place on LDW Thursday Sept. 2 as well. That one seems destined for an 8 p.m. kickoff.

Some further comparisons:
UMass at Rutgers in 2019 (Friday of LDW) started at 7 p.m.
That same year, two other Big Ten games on that Friday of LDW started at 7 p.m.
The day before (Thursday of LDW), Minnesota hosted a game that started at 9 p.m. on FS1
In 2018, NW at Purdue was on LDW Thurs and started at 8 p.m.; on Friday, Michigan St. kicked off at 7 p.m. on BTN.
In 2017, Minnesota hosted Buffalo on LDW Thurs at 7 p.m.; Ohio St at Indiana kicked off at 8 p.m.
The following day, LDW Friday, Rutgers hosted Washington and it started at 8 p.m.

Reactions: RURM85 and fsg2
If the start time were up to Schiano, it would have been announced already. So we'll see.
Last week, there were indications that most week 1, 2, and 3 start times will be announced this Thursday, May 27. It is likely that we could know the kickoff time very shortly, along with the kickoff time for homecoming (Michigan St., October 9).

Nothing like prime time appearances for Rutgers. The beat goes on. We’ll probably be in a ratings battle with a Northern Illinois / Wyoming game. I wonder if Rutgers requested a nooner?
Did they check The Hunt schedule first?

Last edited:
It’s better than SaturDAY at noon but...

Friday night > Thursday night >>SaturDAY
Disagree.

Friday is typically HS time...and their fans, players etc. wouldn't be available to come to RU : recruiting / PR.

Thursday (see L'ville 2006) is a special night for Rutgers fans!

MO

Reactions: scripts
I have not seen any recent comparable Big Ten games that started before 7. It also could easily start at 8 p.m.

One note is that Ohio State at Minnesota will take place on LDW Thursday Sept. 2 as well. That one seems destined for an 8 p.m. kickoff.

The day before (Thursday of LDW), Minnesota hosted a game that started at 9 p.m. on FS1
In 2018, NW at Purdue was on LDW Thurs and started at 8 p.m.; on Friday, Michigan St. kicked off at 7 p.m. on BTN.
In 2017, Minnesota hosted Buffalo on LDW Thurs at 7 p.m.; Ohio St at Indiana kicked off at 8 p.m.
The following day, LDW Friday, Rutgers hosted Washington and it started at 8 p.m.
I can see the 2017 model being followed here. I think the B1G will want to stagger the start times of its two Thursday games by AT LEAST one hour. IMO our game will start no later than 7:00, and. OSU@Minn will start no earlier than 8:00.

Thanks, good comps.

I can see the 2017 model being followed here. I think the B1G will want to stagger the start times of its two Thursday games by AT LEAST one hour. IMO our game will start no later than 7:00, and. OSU@Minn will start no earlier than 8:00.
I think that is a reasonable takeaway. I hope it is correct as I'd like an earlier game as that will help ensure I get to go.

This is Schiano understanding NJ and northeast culture and how things work around here. If we had a top 10 team, the stadium would still be half empty on Saturday at noon Labor Day Weekend. It's just how it is here.

Friday was okay but even a lot of people are already off and away on Friday night.

Thursday gives everyone the opportunity to go and then continue with the Friday-Monday extended weekend.
That’s just not true . In 2004 , we opened with Michigan state on a Saturday with a record crowd . And we were lousy the year before !

Reactions: NickKnight 1
ADVERTISEMENT