ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers / Temple game moved to Thursday night

Not true. That decision would be more about protecting the prime time game on slot, then it would be for increasing eye balls on RU/Temple. It would be bad for TV viewership for RU is what I was alluding to (which is obvious I suppose).
while true.. I think it depends on what network carries it. If it is an ESPN family game then they will protect their primetime offering... if it is Fox/BTN then it is about the product itself or pulling ratings from a competing game on ESPN. NFL will likely have the last rivalry preseason games on.. like Jets/Giants.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Why are some of you taking what Kratch is saying as gospel? Do you believe BTN would tank a game in their largest markets for Ohio State and Minnesota? People are hungry for football with fans in the stands. I feel the viewing numbers will be up as fans can't get enough of it in the first few weeks. Besides, Kratch wrote the article/comment because he's trying to generate interest for him and his dying paper.
he has a point.. BTN is 50% owned by Fox. Ohio State is a national product. In the ABC/ESPN Big Ten football days, ESPN would make sure no Rutgers game would compete with their national broadcasts. They'd select our games in their Big East deal and keep us out of the way.. noon games, off days.. or relegate us to ESPN360 or whatever the streaming service was originally called.

So it would be a little odd for a Rutgers games to steal the big NYC media market numbers from a more national game on the same "family" of networks. Now, as I mentioned in previous post, it could be they want to compete with whatever ESPN is broadcasting that night... and the OSU/Minny game is just collateral damage. Or, as Kratch suggests, we could be the lead-in... but if we are on BTN and OSU/Minny is Fox.. that's not a real "lead-in".

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletKid2008
I prefer your Gina gif
Couldn't do it on this one. It's going to be a rush in right before kickoff and rush out before end of game. Not exactly the nice relaxing atmosphere I wanted for my 1st live football game in two years.

Reactions: colbert17
FWIW - here is a complete list of the Thursday night games. OSU@Minn is EASILY the most attractive game on the schedule. It is the only one so far to have a network tie-in - "big" Fox, not Fox Sports. I continue to believe that the B1G will not have Temple@RU compete directly against it, and will stagger the start times by at least an hour, perhaps more.

UT Martin at WKU8:00pmTV TBA
Bowling Green at Tennessee8:00pmSECN
Southern Utah at Arizona State11:00pmTV TBA
East Carolina vs. Appalachian State (in Charlotte, NC)Time TBATV TBA
Ohio State at MinnesotaTime TBAFOX
UC Davis at TulsaTime TBATV TBA
USF at NC StateTime TBATV TBA
Weber State at UtahTime TBATV TBA
Western Illinois at Ball StateTime TBATV TBA
Eastern Washington at UNLVTime TBATV TBA
LIU at FIUTime TBATV TBA
Houston Baptist at New MexicoTime TBATV TBA
Wagner at BuffaloTime TBATV TBA
The Citadel at Coastal CarolinaTime TBATV TBA
Temple at RutgersTime TBATV TBA

Reactions: Ataylor1989x
That's it, back of the bus for you and @koleszar ! It's more fun back there anyway.

Will be interesting to see what kind of summer we have. If last weekend was any indication, it may be quite crowded around the beaches. We were on the boat Sunday, and it was a madhouse on the Manasquan River. Lots of Al Cerviks on the water.

hQULAZ.gif
giphy.gif

Reactions: Knight Shift
FWIW - here is a complete list of the Thursday night games. OSU@Minn is EASILY the most attractive game on the schedule. It is the only one so far to have a network tie-in - "big" Fox, not Fox Sports. I continue to believe that the B1G will not have Temple@RU compete directly against it, and will stagger the start times by at least an hour, perhaps more.

UT Martin at WKU8:00pmTV TBA
Bowling Green at Tennessee8:00pmSECN
Southern Utah at Arizona State11:00pmTV TBA
East Carolina vs. Appalachian State (in Charlotte, NC)Time TBATV TBA
Ohio State at MinnesotaTime TBAFOX
UC Davis at TulsaTime TBATV TBA
USF at NC StateTime TBATV TBA
Weber State at UtahTime TBATV TBA
Western Illinois at Ball StateTime TBATV TBA
Eastern Washington at UNLVTime TBATV TBA
LIU at FIUTime TBATV TBA
Houston Baptist at New MexicoTime TBATV TBA
Wagner at BuffaloTime TBATV TBA
The Citadel at Coastal CarolinaTime TBATV TBA
Temple at RutgersTime TBATV TBA
Lets take a look at the first week games on Thursday in 2019

Thursday, August 29​

6 p.m. — UCLA at Cincinnati, ESPN​
6 p.m. — Florida A&M at UCF, CBS Sports Network​
7 p.m. — Georgia Tech at Clemson, ACC Network​
7:30 p.m. — Texas State at Texas A&M, SEC Network​
8 p.m. — South Dakota State at Minnesota, Fox Sports 1​
9 p.m. — Kent State at Arizona State, Pac-12 Network​
9:15 p.m. — Utah at BYU, ESPN​

Can we learn anything?

FoxSports1 had SDState at Minny at 8pm. Only Big Team playing.

No BTN games.

ESPN (along with their partner networks ACC, SEC) had no problem flooding games at different times. I suppose national champ Clemson (or were they runner up that previous year?).. are probably the equiv of OSU playing. 6PM start for UCLA at Cinci is 3pm in big LA market...

Yeah.. if both games are on FoxSports then, yeah, I can see an earlier start time for Rutgers as a lead-in.. and maybe an 8:20start for the OSU-Minny game.

But if the Rutgers game is on BTN and OSU-Minny on Fox.. then I think each network would make their own decisions for their own reasons and I'd expect some overlap.

Lets take a look at the first week games on Thursday in 2019

Thursday, August 29​

6 p.m. — UCLA at Cincinnati, ESPN​
6 p.m. — Florida A&M at UCF, CBS Sports Network​
7 p.m. — Georgia Tech at Clemson, ACC Network​
7:30 p.m. — Texas State at Texas A&M, SEC Network​
8 p.m. — South Dakota State at Minnesota, Fox Sports 1​
9 p.m. — Kent State at Arizona State, Pac-12 Network​
9:15 p.m. — Utah at BYU, ESPN​

Can we learn anything?

FoxSports1 had SDState at Minny at 8pm. Only Big Team playing.

No BTN games.

ESPN (along with their partner networks ACC, SEC) had no problem flooding games at different times. I suppose national champ Clemson (or were they runner up that previous year?).. are probably the equiv of OSU playing. 6PM start for UCLA at Cinci is 3pm in big LA market...

Yeah.. if both games are on FoxSports then, yeah, I can see an earlier start time for Rutgers as a lead-in.. and maybe an 8:20start for the OSU-Minny game.

But if the Rutgers game is on BTN and OSU-Minny on Fox.. then I think each network would make their own decisions for their own reasons and I'd expect some overlap.

As stated earlier in the thread, 2017 is the closest analogy.

How horrible would this schedule be!!! It is like telling families and everyone who lives more than ten miles away we don’t want you lol

How horrible would this schedule be!!! It is like telling families and everyone who lives more than ten miles away we don’t want you lol

No problem. The families can get up before dawn and double-time it to the game. And then they can do their tailgating after the game.

What kind of tailgating? Aaaaaaaaaaaaarmy tailgating!

Forget tailgating. By the time Saturday morning games/practices for football, Fall baseball, lacrosse, hockey, karate,soccer, etc. are over, the children get changed and get some food, drive to the campus and park, get the shuttle bus, walk into the stadium, go to the bathroom, find their seat, there will be about 6 minutes left in the fourth quarter lol

Forget tailgating. By the time Saturday morning games/practices for football, Fall baseball, lacrosse, hockey, karate,soccer, etc. are over, the children get changed and get some food, drive to the campus and park, get the shuttle bus, walk into the stadium, go to the bathroom, find their seat, there will be about 6 minutes left in the fourth quarter lol
While that schedule almost certainly sucks for a decently large segment of Army's fans, it'll work well for another large segment. That's life, I guess.

We're sure to face future seasons with largely noon games at RU too. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

September 2 game time against Temple announced today and starts at 6:30. 30 minutes earlier than I expected.

6:30 is where I expected it. What time is that the OSU/Minn game scheduled for?

Really good news here is 3:30 PM for the Deaware game.
Great tailgating time.

6:30 is where I expected it. What time is that the OSU/Minn game scheduled for?

Really good news here is 3:30 PM for the Deaware game.
Great tailgating time.
Don’t love the 6:30 for Temple but nice we got the 3:30 for Delaware.

Did not think that was going to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT