ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers / Temple game moved to Thursday night

That’s just not true . In 2004 , we opened with Michigan state on a Saturday with a record crowd . And we were lousy the year before !
Yep. But people are going to argue and justify it however they can.

This is what I think of that.
giphy.gif

Reactions: RUforester72
No one needs to justify anything now that it's official.

It is how it is. Like it or don't.
I don't like it, but I'll be there. And I don't necessarily agree with everyone gushing over this being such a great thing to have on a Thursday night. I just don't see the benefits of being on TV with a bunch of other FBS games beating up on Our Sister Mary's School for the Blind. I know of several people with season tickets who won't be able to make it because of other obligations (work, etc.).

Reactions: MADHAT1
I don't like it, but I'll be there. And I don't necessarily agree with everyone gushing over this being such a great thing to have on a Thursday night. I just don't see the benefits of being on TV with a bunch of other FBS games beating up on Our Sister Mary's School for the Blind. I know of several people with season tickets who won't be able to make it because of other obligations (work, etc.).
While @e5fdny does not seem to agree, better to drive South on a Thursday night than a Friday night preceding a long holiday weekend. Less trafffic.

We all know Rutgers does well in TV ratings and so do the networks. They also know the additional juice Schiano being back will bring to the program. I expect them to feature him in promo spots leading up to that date.

Isn't that what we'd be on against on Sat, too?

Usually a couple of good matches but a lot of mismatched OOC yawners. And they tend to stretch good games out over the greater weekend.

Seems like better for those watching on TV, hit or miss for those attending (cooler weather, no interference with holiday plans but more difficult for tailgating).

When have you or @e5fdny ever known RT. 18 south to be packed on a Friday night at 11pm?
Route 18 ends at Belmar. For those going Pt. Beach and further South, Friday evening/night traffic sucks on holiday weekends. It has already started. Friday evening, we had a FD funeral service in Brielle--we had to divert around Route 34, as the traffic was backed past Paynters Rd. It will be worse this weekend now that things are wide open.

Very cool for me. Gonna have family plans that entire weekend and won't be home. Now I won't have to worry about just recording the game and can watch it live.

From Kratch:

We don't have a kickoff time yet for the season opener, although that should come within the next week or so. But I am interested to see if Rutgers and Temple kick off on the early evening side -- like 5:30 or 6 p.m. -- in order to be the lead-in (or close to it) for Ohio State-Minnesota, which is already earmarked for big Fox. I am not a TV executive, but if Rutgers-Temple is on BTN it would seem counter-intuitive to have a local game in New York and Philadelphia going on at the same time as Ohio State-Minnesota. -- Kratch

From Kratch:

We don't have a kickoff time yet for the season opener, although that should come within the next week or so. But I am interested to see if Rutgers and Temple kick off on the early evening side -- like 5:30 or 6 p.m. -- in order to be the lead-in (or close to it) for Ohio State-Minnesota, which is already earmarked for big Fox. I am not a TV executive, but if Rutgers-Temple is on BTN it would seem counter-intuitive to have a local game in New York and Philadelphia going on at the same time as Ohio State-Minnesota. -- Kratch
530 game on a Thursday attendance will be 25k

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I like it and I like that we can legitimately talk about the START of next season already...

We can start summer practice.. what.. 3 weeks before the first game? That would make August 12 the first day of practice and that means it is only 80 days away.

Last year they made it 6 weeks prior... and July 20 was the date certain activities could begin.. if they do that again that means its only 59 days out.

Reactions: Knight Shift
530 game on a Thursday attendance will be 25k
The opponent doesn't help, this is in affect a MEAC game, nothing more than a preseason scrimmage. Truncated tailgating, having to take time off from work, going back to work Friday morning, for what, to attend a game that will be competitive for a quarter, maybe? Diehards like myself will attend, but I can see a lot of season ticket holders skipping this one.

From Kratch:

Anything earlier than 7 is pretty awful - both for the fans attending and for TV.

Luckily I'll be able to take the day off and enjoy it either way, but its a lot more fun with more fans being able to do the same and especially those in your own tailgate group.

Anything earlier than 7 is pretty awful - both for the fans attending and for TV.

Luckily I'll be able to take the day off and enjoy it either way, but its a lot more fun with more fans being able to do the same and especially those in your own tailgate group.
If it's before 7, it's because that's where TV wanted it. So it's hard to say it's pretty awful for TV.

While @e5fdny does not seem to agree, better to drive South on a Thursday night than a Friday night preceding a long holiday weekend. Less trafffic.

When have you or @e5fdny ever known RT. 18 south to be packed on a Friday night at 11pm?

Route 18 ends at Belmar. For those going Pt. Beach and further South, Friday evening/night traffic sucks on holiday weekends. It has already started. Friday evening, we had a FD funeral service in Brielle--we had to divert around Route 34, as the traffic was backed past Paynters Rd. It will be worse this weekend now that things are wide open.
Have to agree with @koleszar here...by the time the game is over (if you stay to the end) and we get going, the traffic shouldn’t be that bad at maybe midnight by the time you’re over the bridge.

Reactions: koleszar
Have to agree with @koleszar here...by the time the game is over (if you stay to the end) and we get going, the traffic shouldn’t be that bad at maybe midnight by the time you’re over the bridge.
That's it, back of the bus for you and @koleszar ! It's more fun back there anyway.

Will be interesting to see what kind of summer we have. If last weekend was any indication, it may be quite crowded around the beaches. We were on the boat Sunday, and it was a madhouse on the Manasquan River. Lots of Al Cerviks on the water.

hQULAZ.gif

That's it, back of the bus for you and @koleszar ! It's more fun back there anyway.

Will be interesting to see what kind of summer we have. If last weekend was any indication, it may be quite crowded around the beaches. We were on the boat Sunday, and it was a madhouse on the Manasquan River. Lots of Al Cerviks on the water.

hQULAZ.gif
And Ben Gardner’s too...

SnoopyEducatedFlea-max-1mb.gif

5:30 on the Thursday of Labor Day weekend ? What the heck, how about we move the game to Yankee Stadium too?

Why would you go through the trouble to put hot tubs in and show them on camera ...but fill them with those dudes??
I mean, I'd choose Rachel McAdams, Kate Beckinsale, and Olivia Wilde, personally. But perhaps the ladies feel differently? 😀

Reactions: Foads and MURF87
The game is more than three months away and will likely be a 7:30 or 8:00 start. Skip the tailgating. Almost every place I have worked at would let people miss a couple hours without pay. No need to lose a whole vacation/personal/sick day. Three months notice for an employer is A LOT of time unless the boss is a complete bozo.
😲

Surely, you jest (he says, teeing one up for the peanut gallery).

From Kratch:

Why are some of you taking what Kratch is saying as gospel? Do you believe BTN would tank a game in their largest markets for Ohio State and Minnesota? People are hungry for football with fans in the stands. I feel the viewing numbers will be up as fans can't get enough of it in the first few weeks. Besides, Kratch wrote the article/comment because he's trying to generate interest for him and his dying paper.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
7:00 to 7:30 seems about right for kickoff.

6 seems too early for either TV or attendance.
Should make it 8:00 or even 9:00 ( let the TV audience leave the blowout of the OSU game and come over watch our game ). Much cooler temps as well.

Isn't that what we'd be on against on Sat, too?

Usually a couple of good matches but a lot of mismatched OOC yawners. And they tend to stretch good games out over the greater weekend.

Seems like better for those watching on TV, hit or miss for those attending (cooler weather, no interference with holiday plans but more difficult for tailgating).
Just a couple of good match ups

Georgia /Clemson
Alabama/Miami
Maryland /WVU
Penn St./Wisconsin
Michigan St./ Norhtwestern
Indiana/Iowa

or maybe these are more to an individual's taste

Akron/Auburn
Oklahoma/Tulane
Syracuse/Ohio
UMass/Pitt
Holy Cross/UConn

or this week's number 1 match up

Fordham/Nebraska

Reactions: Wolv RU
I've never seen BTN schedule an early evening and later night game in sequence. In fact I don't think I've ever seen BTN have a game start at 9PM. They have often had multiple games on simultaneously using their overflow channels.
I've also also never seen them coordinate game times so as not to conflict with a B1G game on FSN. So this speculation is a load of crap.

Our game and the tOSU game will likely be on at TV at the same time. Take it to the bank.

7:00 to 7:30 seems about right for kickoff.

6 seems too early for either TV or attendance.
Usually that would be spot-on, however TV controls everything, and in the post-COVID environment, you’re going to have networks put together double and triple headers to maximize ratings, especially at that SPORTS IS BACK moment.

With THIS many games scheduled that day, the smart money is on wall-to-wall televised football, with inconvenient start times for local markets. perhaps a doubleheader with OSU/Minn. on Fox or FS1 or maybe BTN, but definitely a doubleheader. And you know OSU will be in prime time.

Just a couple of good match ups

Georgia /Clemson
Alabama/Miami
Maryland /WVU
Penn St./Wisconsin
Michigan St./ Norhtwestern
Indiana/Iowa

or maybe these are more to an individual's taste

Akron/Auburn
Oklahoma/Tulane
Syracuse/Ohio
UMass/Pitt
Holy Cross/UConn

or this week's number 1 match up

Fordham/Nebraska

I’ll take Holy Cross and the points.

They have a nice facility for its size...

Fitton.jpg

But their baseball stadium is way better than ours...

Baseball.jpg
Stadium dates back to when the played a Div 1 schedule. Their big rival was BC. It wasn't until the 80s that they dropped down to the FCS level. They lost an Orange Bowl to Miami in the 40s.

ADVERTISEMENT