ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers to remain Rutgers

“The reason we’re not going to change the name is that names have value that exceed someone’s existence,” Holloway said.

“If I were to walk around feeling bludgeoned by every name I see, I couldn’t get out of bed.”

Mic Drop moment for the new President. Well done!

Deeeply disappointed. The dude was a racist slave owner. Why can some peeps be cherry picked? True leader would grow some balls.

They will be coming for the RAC mark my words

the Royal African Company (RAC) company that had a monopoly on the west African slave trade. It was formally headed by the brother of King Charles II who later took the throne as James II. The company branded the slaves – including women and children – with its RAC initials on their chests

He will cave eventually
No.. when someone like Stanford, Harvard and Yale wants him to give them a black president who can say they are not changing the name... and we hire a white, and probably female, president.. then the pressure begins again.

the Royal African Company (RAC) company that had a monopoly on the west African slave trade. It was formally headed by the brother of King Charles II who later took the throne as James II. The company branded the slaves – including women and children – with its RAC initials on their chests
They could name it the SHI house for all I care. As long as they don’t change the Rutgers name.

Great quote by our new President:

“My existence, my humanity, my complexity, cannot be reduced by the fact that Rutgers was a slave owner, that he could not imagine me,” Holloway said. “That’s his problem.”

https://www.nj.com/education/2020/0...-black-president-says-the-name-will-stay.html
What a tremendous quote.
Somebody said the other day President Holloway was a home run hire.

Well this is his bat flip as that shot leaves Bainton Field.

Good. I like him so far. Addressed it, gave a strong answer, and moved on.

Pack the RAC seems a bit awkward in that light. :Laughing

But, now, with Holloway, Hobbs, Schiano, and Pikiell, it looks like the RU screw is starting to turn the other way. :CHOP:

Great quote by our new President:

“My existence, my humanity, my complexity, cannot be reduced by the fact that Rutgers was a slave owner, that he could not imagine me,” Holloway said. “That’s his problem.”

https://www.nj.com/education/2020/0...-black-president-says-the-name-will-stay.html
This is such a profound statement that many, while congratulating the President for his eloquence, will not realize the cutting, deeper sentiment expressed in it.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
And they said you couldn't change history, well the wrong people are getting the message. Time for a reality check in the right direction. Protesters dig up something in a history book from 200 years before they were born and want to take action. Lets move forward.

It was never even a thing. This was simply brought on by the paranoia and hysterics of a certain crowd jumping on even the possibility of it being a thing.
The idea of changing the name was born from the fact Henry Rutgers had slaves and the incessant need to apply today’s standards to men who lived over 200 years ago.
We have plenty of posters on this site who would have no problem with it.
It’s absolutely a thing, you can bet there will be protests and removal of his statues if it already hasn’t happened

And they said you couldn't change history, well the wrong people are getting the message. Time for a reality check in the right direction. Protesters dig up something in a history book from 200 years before they were born and want to take action. Lets move forward.
It's very common for people to believe in their own moral supremacy simply because their own brand of immorality happens to be popular. I have no doubt that there are many evil things we accept in society that the people of Henry Rutger's day would be appalled at.

ADVERTISEMENT