ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers took legal action against Louisiana HS for trademark infringement

I can see this backfiring on us because... Rutgers.

Remember even WWF had to change their name.
Did you read the article? There was no "legal action." The high school agreed to change their block R to a different R with a bearcat head. This happens all the time. Parties come to an agreement on these things.

The WWF situation is similar. The World Wrestling Federation made an agreement with the World Wild Fund for Nature to stop using WWF. The wrestling organization violated the agreement and they were sued. This kind of thing happens all the time. It's called policing a trademark and preventing erosion of trademark rights. If the the owner of the trademark does not police their rights, they become diluted and weakened.

I withdraw my statement.
They abandoned this mark (wisely):
ImageAgentProxy

Reactions: RUonBrain
Rutgers claims a first use of the block R as January 31, 2003:
ImageAgentProxy

Had Ruston high school been able to show use prior to that date, they could have claimed prior user rights. Linked story above simply said Ruston had been using the block R for "years." Guessing that their use started after Rutgers' use.

Heard Ruston's football stadium is THE SHI, however.

Did you read the article? There was no "legal action." The high school agreed to change their block R to a different R with a bearcat head. This happens all the time. Parties come to an agreement on these things.

The WWF situation is similar. The World Wrestling Federation made an agreement with the World Wild Fund for Nature to stop using WWF. The wrestling organization violated the agreement and they were sued. This kind of thing happens all the time. It's called policing a trademark and preventing erosion of trademark rights. If the the owner of the trademark does not police their rights, they become diluted and weakened.
This. Rutgers has a registered trademark on the Block R design. They discovered a high school in Louisiana uses a nearly identical design, so they contacted the school. The school certainly had the option to challenge Rutgers' trademark (though an internet search shows that Ruston HS has used different R designs over the years, so they probably wouldn't be able to show prior use). Instead the high school came to an agreement with Rutgers to phase in a new logo design over 10 years. It is pretty generous of Rutgers to agree to this since the University certainly could have insisted that the high school change the logo immediately.

It is pretty generous of Rutgers to agree to this since the University certainly could have insisted that the high school change the logo immediately

Agree. Frankly, I thought 10 years sounded like an extremely long time. I don't think 1 or 2 years would have been that much of a hardship. Heck, they should want to proliferate their new logo as soon as possible after they finish devising it.

That's what I would've thought too. Where did the OP get "60 years" though?
I was wondering that too. An internet search shows that Ruston used a different R logo in 1996, and the current R logo in 2006. But I didn't find anything for years in between.

I’m sorry there’s no way they have been using that exact R for longer than RU, it’s likely the case their “logo” was a cherry R but some plain design and when Schiano brought in the block R they started using that. My guess is around 2006 when we had real national prominence.

And oh by the way, not only our exact dimensions block R, but what a coincidence about their helmets

headerInterior_athletics_mobile.jpg

Reactions: Leonard23
Rutgers also had a beef with Robbinsville HS a few years ago regarding the block R.

Doesn’t Robbinsville use the same block R?

Yes they do when we first moved here it took me a day or so to figure that the red block R was Robbinsville and not Rutgers.

As an aside the Robbinsville U12 girls softball team is playing in the national championship this weekend in CT & the U10 team is playing in the state championship

ImageAgentProxy

Had Ruston high school been able to show use prior to that date, they could have claimed prior user rights. Linked story above simply said Ruston had been using the block R for "years." Guessing that their use started after Rutgers' use.

The Block R existed in Rutgers historical photos.

1882.. the town of Ruston was first formed in 1883
uniforms-1882jpg-7e27924a875e5dd3.jpg

In other news, we are also suing Where's Waldo (1987 creation) over the cap
71RYSZirOEL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RURM85
My understanding is the serif for the right “leg” of our most recent (circa 2000?) Block R is what makes it different and unique. That’s the one wth a trademark.

If your right leg is the same as our right leg, we have a problem.

Doesn’t Rahway HS have a similar R logo? They may also wear red and black unis.

This feels so Bush league. How many high schools use copycat logos of major colleges and pro teams? Then copycat uniforms. unless they’re selling merch nationally in bulk, no one should care at all.

Some might even think it’s an honor, or a form of imprinting. (i remember being a kid rooting for a certain team that had the same helmet as mine).

Lawyers ruining everything.

Already being roasted on reddit:

This feels so Bush league. How many high schools use copycat logos of major colleges and pro teams? Then copycat uniforms. unless they’re selling merch nationally in bulk, no one should care at all.

Some might even think it’s an honor, or a form of imprinting. (i remember being a kid rooting for a certain team that had the same helmet as mine).

Lawyers ruining everything.

If you fail to protect your trademark, you lose it. Then anyone can use it and profit off it

If you fail to protect your trademark, you lose it. Then anyone can use it and profit off it
Someone in the reddit thread mentions high schools use the Kstate powercat, pay $1 per year and specify that it is a KSU trademark and that’s that.

Seems a lot easier than looking like bush leaguers.

Reactions: sunsetregret
Someone in the reddit thread mentions high schools use the Kstate powercat, pay $1 per year and specify that it is a KSU trademark and that’s that.

That’s you’re opinion but if you read the article this was worked out.

Bush league? Lol

I looked it up. It’s one high school, not high schools (plural). And, as you can read, it can lead to nuisance issues that just aren’t worth the headaches for the the trademark owner.

http://www.cnjonline.com.php56-17.o...f-wildcat-logo-can-fall-into-legal-gray-area/

Reactions: Leonard23
ImageAgentProxy

Their Stadium may be the SHI but ours is officially SHI.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Need to go after Rydell High as well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT