ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers took legal action against Louisiana HS for trademark infringement

Redondo Union high in Redondo Beach CA has the block R as well
Good catch.
000-mkgo_Full.jpg

Reactions: Leonard23
Woodbridge HS has the Wisconsin W on their field and helmets
Is the Wisky one trademarked? Asking because I have no idea.

And almost all of the R’s while similar (some are real similar) aren’t exactly like ours. The Ruston one though is the closest I have seen.

Woodbridge HS has the Wisconsin W on their field and helmets

Similar but different enough not to be a trademark infringement.

What some posters are not getting is if you allow infringement of your trademark you lose your legal protection. That opens it open up to be used by anyone. Do you want to see people wearing shirts with a block R that reads “R Sucks” or anything like that? In the event that RU attains heights in football do you want to see any clothing manufacturers produce block R gear without any monies going to RU?

Is the Wisky one trademarked? Asking because I have no idea.

And almost all of the R’s while similar (some are real similar) aren’t exactly like ours. The Ruston one though is the closest I have seen.
I remember talking to the Robinsville facilities director and they told me that Rutgers had an issue with their R logo and they had to tweak it because it was the same.

I remember talking to the Robinsville facilities director and they told me that Rutgers had an issue with their R logo and they had to tweak it because it was the same.
A lot of them are close but not exact.

The Ruston one really seems like a ripoff to me. So not surprised we did what we did.

Reactions: ScarletDave
and I thought only Rutgers can be silly.........

https://twitter.com/i/moments/1161424406444331008

OSU is trying to trademark the word 'the' in 'the Ohio State University'
NCAA football 1 hour ago
Some Buckeye fans' eyebrows were raised in response to the Ohio State University's move, which is apparently linked to an offering of clothing branded with the word "the" that is being sold on the college football team's website.

I know of a high school in Texas that uses a red Block R (in the identical font - exactly 100% identical) as their school logo. It's on the helmets, etc. The name of the town begins with an "R". I'd be exceptionally disappointed if I learned Rutgers went after them.

Last edited:
This. Rutgers has a registered trademark on the Block R design. They discovered a high school in Louisiana uses a nearly identical design, so they contacted the school. The school certainly had the option to challenge Rutgers' trademark (though an internet search shows that Ruston HS has used different R designs over the years, so they probably wouldn't be able to show prior use). Instead the high school came to an agreement with Rutgers to phase in a new logo design over 10 years. It is pretty generous of Rutgers to agree to this since the University certainly could have insisted that the high school change the logo immediately.

It's stupid in my opinion. They could have just as easily licensed them use of the logo for $1 per year. And given them a bunch of Rutgers licensed items, and treated them like their "Rutgers in the south" and earned a bunch of goodwill.

Reactions: Section124

They now use Ravens on their helmet instead of the R. Not sure what the baseball team uses. The town teams use R-ville.

Surprised it wasn't the other way around. it's not like we are OSU.

Granted it's a small town and I guess the NBC affiliate out of Monroe, LA isn't covering much of a market either. Monroe's population is about the same as New Brunswick.

FWIW: Louisiana Tech is in Ruston, LA.

Reactions: RUnTeX
HS somewhere in Louisiana has a block R as it's logo and has received a cease / desist letter. The deal to remove the block R from their field, equipment etc. has been reached....they have 10 years.

What got me was that some of the locals threw stones at Rutgers for protecting our logo ( "they're somewhere in NJ"). Our President copyrighted "You're Fired"! So a handful of the good folks in the Ruston HS area took to social media and questioned why we needed to protect our logo - they just don't understand (suggestion: try reading a book)!

On the other hand, I think they might have a point. I think they should change the name of their HS (town, or swamp) from Ruston to Forever Uninteresting. Their logo can now be FU...and well deserved.

Perhaps these yokels can manage to remove the Block R in less than 10 years, if anyone in the city, administration or neighboring towns can read. Good luck in Louisiana...you'll need it.

MO
https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2019/08/...ease-and-desist-letter-over-block-r-logo.html

Last edited:
What do you mean “use” ?

My understanding is that, in their capacity as Scarlet Ambassadors, they are not allowed to wear the block R on any clothing or use it in any other way. I'll get clarification, but I was told that the block R doesn't belong to the university per se, but that it's owned by the athletic department and, therefore, can't be used outside the athletic department.

My understanding is that, in their capacity as Scarlet Ambassadors, they are not allowed to wear the block R on any clothing or use it in any other way. I'll get clarification, but I was told that the block R doesn't belong to the university per se, but that it's owned by the athletic department and, therefore, can't be used outside the athletic department.

https://communications.rutgers.edu/brand-policies/visual-identity/rutgers-logos-identity-elements

From the above link:

THE BLOCK R
blockR_sample.png

Perhaps Rutgers' most-recognized symbol, the Block R is used as a spirit and athletic mark, and may:
  • only reproduced in red (Pantone® 186) or white; with or without a black, white, or red (Pantone® 186) outline. It may never be reproduced in black.
  • not be filled with text, designs, or symbols; a double outline may not be placed around it; and you may not place anything on top of it.
  • not be used in conjunction with or in place of the Rutgers logotype. Its use on stationery is limited to Rutgers intercollegiate athletics.
  • be used, with permission from trademark licensing, with an academic discipline designation or the name of a service, outreach, or research group exclusively on spirit merchandise, such as hats, shirts, and mugs.
For information on using the Block R:

I really wish they would go after Redondo. Walk around the South Bay and everyone thinks the R is for Redondo.

Based on my post above, my guess is that getting the permission from trademark licensing is a PITA (Rutgers being Rutgers?....perhaps) or maybe the Scarlet Ambassadors either didn't obtain it or were denied permission for some reason. Seems shortsighted to not let that group further proliferate the brand, if that's what is happening.

This. Rutgers has a registered trademark on the Block R design. They discovered a high school in Louisiana uses a nearly identical design, so they contacted the school. The school certainly had the option to challenge Rutgers' trademark (though an internet search shows that Ruston HS has used different R designs over the years, so they probably wouldn't be able to show prior use). Instead the high school came to an agreement with Rutgers to phase in a new logo design over 10 years. It is pretty generous of Rutgers to agree to this since the University certainly could have insisted that the high school change the logo immediately.

Rutgers is being a total ahole, and how can you trademark a block letter?

U Wisc sued Wofford yrs back because Wofford was using a W that looked like Wisc's, but that W is very individualistic.

th

but a block R isn't, and seems generic to me.

too bad some Ruston law firm didn't have the were with all to help the school tell Rutgers to go blank themself.

it's like saying you have the rights to the sign for we're number 1.

th

could get interesting with Illinois and Indiana.

th

th

Last edited:
Rutgers is being a total ahole, and how can you trademark a block letter?

U Wisc sued Wofford yrs back because Wofford was using a W that looked like Wisc's, but that W is very individualistic.

th

but a block R isn't, and seems generic to me.

too bad some Ruston law firm didn't have the were with all to help the school tell Rutgers to go blank themself.

it's like saying you have the rights to the sign for we're number 1.

th

could get interesting with Illinois and Indiana.

th

th

Nice little rant by someone who apparently knows nothing about trademarks.

Your opinion that you can't trademark a block letter is meaningless, because Rutgers has, in fact, trademarked its block R, just like Syracuse has trademarked its block S, and Michigan and Minnesota have each trademarked their respective block M's.

As far as your spurious opinions that Rutgers is "being a total ahole" and that the high school should have told Rutgers "to go blank themself", as has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, Rutgers has an obligation to defend its trademark, to prevent dilution or loss of the mark. Rutgers is actually being very generous to the high school by giving them 10 years to migrate to another version of the letter R. Has the high school responded as you suggest, there is a very strong likelihood that the high school would have lost the case and then been forced to immediately stop using the Rutgers R.

I really wish they would go after Redondo. Walk around the South Bay and everyone thinks the R is for Redondo.
Apparently Redondo used a different R back in 2010, so Rutgers should reach out to the high school for them to switch back to their older version of the R, rather than use the Rutgers R.

photo10_Fallon_Pilot_RedondoUnionHS.jpg

I think one of the reasons that high schools tend to steal trademarks from colleges is because it is much cheaper than developing a mark on their own. Even if the high school designs their own mark, they need to incur the cost to scale the mark up and down to different sizes and formats for uniforms, helmets, signage, field markings, etc. It is much cheaper to just steal the design files from a college, and be ready to go.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Apparently Redondo used a different R back in 2010, so Rutgers should reach out to the high school for them to switch back to their older version of the R, rather than use the Rutgers R.

photo10_Fallon_Pilot_RedondoUnionHS.jpg
This apparently was also the case with the school in Louisiana.

Last edited:
Based on my post above, my guess is that getting the permission from trademark licensing is a PITA (Rutgers being Rutgers?....perhaps) or maybe the Scarlet Ambassadors either didn't obtain it or were denied permission for some reason. Seems shortsighted to not let that group further proliferate the brand, if that's what is happening.

My feelings exactly. I mean, there may be a perfectly practical reason. But, I somehow doubt it.

Oh, and are you familiar with the gorgeous new engineering building on Busch? I'd love to find out why the ambassadors were told not to include it in their campus tours. I know the reason that was supposedly given but, if true, it's totally nonsensical and emblematic of the fiefdom mentality and tribalism that keeps RU from really maximizing its potential in all areas.

I'm sorry to go on and on about this, but there are enough external challenges without RU constantly creating its own from within.

My feelings exactly. I mean, there may be a perfectly practical reason. But, I somehow doubt it.

Oh, and are you familiar with the gorgeous new engineering building on Busch? I'd love to find out why the ambassadors were told not to include it in their campus tours. * I know the reason that was supposedly given but, if true, it's totally nonsensical and emblematic of the fiefdom mentality and tribalism that keeps RU from really maximizing its potential in all areas.

I'm sorry to go on and on about this, but there are enough external challenges without RU constantly creating its own from within.
When my son was looking at colleges two years ago I knew the Weeks Building wouldn't be ready but I thought for sure they would mention it during the Open House or Accepted Student Day (he got in in but chose another school). Nothing.

* I'd like to know the reason too?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT