ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers, top wrestler part ways ... for now

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
“Sammy Alvarez has left the program (for now). The team's starter at 141 pounds has struggled to make weight the last two seasons and moved up a class this year to make the cut more attainable. Still, it's been an issue and my understanding is that this may be his final straw. The Rutgers staff wants to work it out, but for now one of the team's top wrestlers and the one with a TON of potential is not considered to be on the roster. He'll be replaced by Joey Olivieri. “

Came in 5 over Sunday
Assuming it’s not the first time he’s been significantly over on match day, which would explain his overall lack of aggression and poor stamina.

Hope Alvarez figures this all out once the transfer is finalized. He’s already lost a year to covid and now a 2nd to weight issue. Would be a shame if a wrestler with his talent never got a real crack at AA status

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Have you wrestled!? Guys can gain and lose 5-10 lbs Lbs in hours. Its a rough sport. Really depends what happened.
Yes, I know from experience how weight can drop and more recently, how easily it can increase. I have coached youth. I had an 8-year old that had to make weight at 55lbs. but we were dealing with ounces. My boys never had to drop much, more just maintaining or counting on their morning weight. I would have objected to them dropping too much ( in my estimation). After high school, I competed in another individual sport and can remember losing 10 pounds during a tournament weekend.

I can also remember being a teen - and into my early 20s - when there were only two things on my mind, the second being food. I know that some that age have ravenous appetites, so fasting can be very stressful as well as have an effect on energy and health. I feel for Sammy. I did question his commitment but tend to think it was a bad decision for him, and he suffered. I had posted concern after seeing his Bloomsburg match that he looked like he was weak from fasting. I remember the pained look on his face early in the match after a break near the edge.

“…update on Sammy Alvarez ... he entered the transfer portal this afternoon and is weighing his future - whether he wants to go elsewhere or stay at Rutgers, retire from wrestling and finish his degree. He confirmed what's already been written -- that after missing weight Sunday, he left the program. He spoke highly of the coaching staff and his teammates.

"I always wrestled with the 'Block R' with integrity and loved every second of it. It's something I'll definitely miss it," he said.

More here:

If he goes 149 and crushes it, then he learned from the mistakes he made here. Doesn’t put Rutgers in the wrong.
It does a lil, if we put too much pressure on him to make 141 “to fit the lineup better and/or punished him so that he can’t go 149 now “bc unfair to white” .. I’m surprised he still wants to wrestle after all the weight making issues.. I guess there has to be some passion left if he’s considering it..

It does a lil, if we put too much pressure on him to make 141 “to fit the lineup better and/or punished him so that he can’t go 149 now “bc unfair to white” .. I’m surprised he still wants to wrestle after all the weight making issues.. I guess there has to be some passion left if he’s considering it..
He put too much pressure on himself. He made his choices. Now he has to live with the consequences.

This seems nonsensical as it stands. There has to be another factor that we're not hearing.
Sammy is going to transfer and wrestle 141? I'm not making any sense of that.
Sammy is going to transfer and go 149 or higher. Maybe, but why not here?
If Sammy can go 149 or higher here, why wouldn't he? Will he not be allowed to? If not, then wrestlers cannot choose their weight or there is a limit to when. Why?
I'm not happy with Sammy's situation and have not been happy with Sammy. However, the kid is getting hurt and Rutgers is the loser.

The coaches aren't gonna say what happened nor should they. So everyone always assumes they're the ones at fault. By reading articles from the weekend and what has been said it looks like Sammy quit. Last year after he missed weight he also quit. It seems like it gets to a point in the season and Sammy breaks and gives up on himself. 5 lbs the morning of the dual can be lost in 1 hour max.

Sammy chose 133. Sammy missed weight at 133

Sammy chose 133 again. Sammy missed weight at 133 again.

Sammy chose 141. Sammy missed weight at 141.

After a while the coaches got tired of it. If he were to stay and chose 149/157, why should the coaches feel like things will change? It’s time for a change of scenery. Good luck to him at his next stop. I have no hard feelings about it and hope he’s successful, but his time here is up unless he wants to stay here and can somehow earn the coaches trust again. Not sure how that’s possible after 3 consecutive years of having the same problem that Goodale foreshadowed once again being a possibility in the early season.

There's an interesting rumor floating around. I'm curious to see if it is true and if it somehow gets disclosed. Sorry to dangle the carrot but I won't repeat it. 🥕
Spill it or at least give a hint, like where to find it 😃

Sammy chose 133. Sammy missed weight at 133

Sammy chose 133 again. Sammy missed weight at 133 again.

Sammy chose 141. Sammy missed weight at 141.

After a while the coaches got tired of it. If he were to stay and chose 149/157, why should the coaches feel like things will change? It’s time for a change of scenery. Good luck to him at his next stop. I have no hard feelings about it and hope he’s successful, but his time here is up unless he wants to stay here and can somehow earn the coaches trust again. Not sure how that’s possible after 3 consecutive years of having the same problem that Goodale foreshadowed once again being a possibility in the early season.
How did we approve him “choosing” to go 33 the second time.. you’re saying we advised him it might be smarter to go 149/57 and he’s like nooo I want 33 again! Even 41 is risky wit how hard 33 cut was… so he quit the team I thought it was bc his passion died and he’s tired of the grind/ making weight… but tf that throws that theory outa the window if he transfers and continues to wrestle.. watch him go 157 somewhere else and become an AA.. like why do u get the genius idea to wrestle at a good weight for yourself once u transfer out..

How did we approve him “choosing” to go 33 the second time.. you’re saying we advised him it might be smarter to go 149/57 and he’s like nooo I want 33 again! Even 41 is risky wit how hard 33 cut was… so he quit the team I thought it was bc his passion died and he’s tired of the grind/ making weight… but tf that throws that theory outa the window if he transfers and continues to wrestle.. watch him go 157 somewhere else and become an AA.. like why do u get the genius idea to wrestle at a good weight for yourself once u transfer out..
People learn from mistakes. Choosing a more appropriate weight at his next stop would show personal accountability and growth.

I can’t get inside of his brain and tell you why he wanted to cut so much weight, but don’t forget Alvarez at one point talked about the possibility of going 125. Some wrestlers like Rivera don’t want to cut weight at all. Some wrestlers want to cut as much as possible. For whatever reason, Alvarez seems like the latter.

Reactions: njsportsphan
For a wrestler, who just wrestled less than a week prior, to even mention the option of retirement…..
That’s all I need to here. For whatever reason(s) just not going to work at this level with that as a possibility in your head.
Yes, in case Sammy or someone close to him reads this board…. God bless you Sammy with whatever you do! Definitely hope you get your degree and wrestle somewhere else or don’t wrestle at all. All good. When at the top of your game you were very exciting to watch. I thought you had a chance against the best of the best (even rby). Thank you for your time here at Rutgers!

I think bill meant 140 or 157.
That makes less sense. I think you meant 149. My puzzlement is in not understanding how he could handle the weight issue better somewhere else if he were to stay at 141. I think he has to be kinder to himself and go a higher weight if he cannot handle the weight regimen, even at the expense of competitiveness.

That makes less sense. I think you meant 149. My puzzlement is in not understanding how he could handle the weight issue better somewhere else if he were to stay at 141. I think he has to be kinder to himself and go a higher weight if he cannot handle the weight regimen, even at the expense of competitiveness.
yes meant 149. thick fingers lol

I might as well drop the bomb !

Alvarez to Oklahoma State confirmed.

Laugh now, cry later

Good luck, we'll see if it works out. Remember to pack your guns and ammo, Yee Haw!

I might as well drop the bomb !

Alvarez to Oklahoma State confirmed.

Laugh now, cry later
He’s going to crush it if he goes his proper weight 149/157… Oklahoma state has a history of making their wrestlers suck huge amounts of weight so maybe they will make the same mistake we did and allow Alvarez to go 141

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT