ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Track And Field Qualifies Three for NCAA Championships

I am looking forward to see how these athletes perform. Carlson's first goal will be to qualify for the final. From what I have seen from the Big Ten races, the semi may be faster than the final which will tend to be tactical. Get to the finals and then see what happens.
Timberg has been pretty consistent through the season though has missed some vaults at lower heights early in the competitions. If she can match her PB, she should get a good result.
Robinson's field series have been inconsistent tough he did surpass 25 ft in 4 of the 5 meets. In this meet he needs to get a big jump in the early round to qualify for the final 3 jumps. He may need a PB to get there with a good part of the field already having surpassed 26 ft during the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZBlues
Our RU women haven't had as much luck as we were hoping for on Day 1 of the NCAA indoor championships..

Chloe TImberg, who was seeded 5th in the pole vault going into the championships with a season best vault of 14' 7.5", finished 9th in the competition with a clearance of 14' 1.25"... The winning vault was 14' 7.25".

In the women's mile prelim, Alexandra Carlson, who was seeded 5th going into the championships with a season best time of 4:31.51, finished 16th out of 16 runners in the prelims, running 4:53.18... I didnt see the race yet so I don't know what happened. Had she been able to run 4:42.09 or better in her preliminary heat she would have qualified for tomorrow's final. Not sure if the Albuquerque altitude (at around 5000 ft) and thinner air with less oxygen affected her, or if there were other reasons. Hopefully she'll be able to have a better race if she runs the 3000 on Saturday.

In the men's competition, Sincere Robinson's long jump final will be starting shortly at 9pm Eastern.

• Sad
Reactions: runrutgersrun
Looking at the splits, Carlson was with the leaders but fell back in the last 600 meters. Her final 200 meters was really slow compared to the field. I don't know if she slowed down to save herself for the 3000 meters realizing she would not qualify for the finals in the mile.

Sincere Robinson finished 9th in the long jump. All 8 jumpers who finished ahead of him exceeded 26 feet.

Looking at the splits, Carlson was with the leaders but fell back in the last 600 meters. Her final 200 meters was really slow compared to the field. I don't know if she slowed down to save herself for the 3000 meters realizing she would not qualify for the finals in the mile.

Sincere Robinson finished 9th in the long jump. All 8 jumpers who finished ahead of him exceeded 26 feet.
Video of Alexandra Carlson's mile prelim.... Hopefully she'll have something left in the tank for the 3000 if she competes in that race. The 3000 might be tough, since 12 of the competitors in the 3000m race have run faster times than Alexandra this season, as opposed to only 4 who had run faster than her in the mile. Go RU.

Reactions: newell138
Hope she runs the 3,000. In choosing these championship meet sites, I suppose there is no consideration given to altitude? Wouldn’t that provide an advantage to student athletes whose colleges are located in higher altitude? It’s not like the Olympics where athletes can train in higher altitudes in order to prepare themselves.

Hope she runs the 3,000. In choosing these championship meet sites, I suppose there is no consideration given to altitude? Wouldn’t that provide an advantage to student athletes whose colleges are located in higher altitude? It’s not like the Olympics where athletes can train in higher altitudes in order to prepare themselves.
Absolutely favors those from higher altitudes. See Mexico City Olympics. Kip Keino ran Jim Ryun into the ground. Having said that most in Alex’s heat from sea level (ish) locations

Although our athletes weren't able to score any points at the NCAA D1 Indoor Championships, it was still a great accomplishment for them to qualify, and it was a great indoor season for them overall. And 2 RU athletes, Chloe Timberg and Sincere Robinson, finished in the top 10 in the nation by finishing 9th in the women's pole vault and men's long jump, respectively.

Not sure what happened with Alexandra Carlson, whether the altitude affected her more than the other runners, or whether there was another reason why she didn't come close to her previous performances. She was unable to qualify for the mile final, finishing 16th out of 16 athletes in the prelim, and she dropped out of the 3000m race about 6 minutes into the race, after dropping significantly behind the rest of the pack. Hopefully she'll be back to her usual great performances during the outdoor season.

Go RU!

Reactions: runrutgersrun
ADVERTISEMENT