ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers University bridge would connect campuses as park suspended over Raritan River

A proposed pedestrian bridge and circular park suspended over the Raritan River would connect the Rutgers University New Brunswick and Piscataway campuses while unifying Middlesex County in a celebration of an overlooked natural resource, the project's designers say.

More on this here with photos:

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/sto...05/04/rutgers-bridge-raritan-river/574297002/

Well, that's certainly a bold vision. Don't see anything like that being remotely feasible to pull off, especially with environmental permitting & approval hurdles. But dare to dream, I guess. Looks cool even though I don't care for a circular shape design.

Awesome! But I gotta say, whoever chose “The River” as background music in the video never actually listened to the lyrics

Now those memories come back to haunt me
They haunt me like a curse
Is a dream alive if it don’t come true?
Or is it something worse?

Awesome! But I gotta say, whoever chose “The River” as background music in the video never actually listened to the lyrics

Now those memories come back to haunt me
They haunt me like a curse
Is a dream alive if it don’t come true?
Or is it something worse?
It's the cost of being The Boss!

I'm sure you remember when Reagan tried to use Born in the USA during his campaign.

It's amazing how many people just look at titles and not the lyrics.

You can't judge a book by its title. It's the same with songs.

Pretty sure there will be a Death Star floating over the stadium before this bridge is built.

Kinda cool idea, but it’s best it remains that way and doesn’t become reality. A bridge that massive that would encompass a park (think Highline) would cost a minimum of 3 billion dollars for a University and community that couldn’t find two nickels to rub together.

Last edited:
Cool idea but I agree, straight line seems more practical and chances of approval seem slim.

Well, it sure is bold and would be iconic, but it's not very practical and looks to be a fortune. Still, I applaud the designers for thinking outside the box. And for that I think it's pretty damn cool.

Reactions: CrazyfoRU
What would a pedestrian bridge over River Road at the south entrance to the stadium cost?

What would a pedestrian bridge over River Road at the south entrance to the stadium cost?
Depends. Do you want something integrated into the park and the stadium enviorns or do you just want a ped. overpass, similar to one you could model with Legos?.
Personally what would be ideal (IMHO of course) would be to extend the entrance of the stadium at River road to the other side and have the road pass underneath it.

IMHO, I'd be more in favor of a less grandiose Bridge if they'd consider one wherein space was allocated for future light rail line to pwsp over

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
If they had shown the video with the bridge over a red mud sand bar (not some strange, crystal clear blue water that doesn't exist), I might have gotten on board...

has anyone involved in this actually tired to walk near the Raritan on any day December - March? Between the cold, wind, sleet and rain.. it'd be a death trap.....

but, i have to admit.... seems like a great way to spend out B1G payday.......

If they had shown the video with the bridge over a red mud sand bar (not some strange, crystal clear blue water that doesn't exist), I might have gotten on board...

has anyone involved in this actually tired to walk near the Raritan on any day December - March? Between the cold, wind, sleet and rain.. it'd be a death trap.....

but, i have to admit.... seems like a great way to spend out B1G payday.......
Lolwut.. The Raritan isn't the Amazon but I ride by it every week thru Johnson park during all 4 seasons.including the winter. If it feels like a desthdteap to you, thatsthmost likely because you're not wearing the proper clothing for the weather.
And of course they use an idealized pic of the Raritan. like snyagood ad agency would do but it's still a sight to behold when seen from above or up close after a storm
pygcdgd8eskoctqtjp2g.jpg
The river is fine

Lolwut.. The Raritan isn't the Amazon but I ride by it every week thru Johnson park during all 4 seasons.including the winter. If it feels like a desthdteap to you, thatsthmost likely because you're not wearing the proper clothing for the weather.
And of course they use an idealized pic of the Raritan. like snyagood ad agency would do but it's still a sight to behold when seen from above or up close after a storm
pygcdgd8eskoctqtjp2g.jpg
The river is fine

Exactly, anyone tasked with creating virtual renderings or imagery is going to present a stylized version of physical features. I think we all acknowledge that the 'ol Raritan is not a majestic water course in the grand scheme of things, and during dry summer conditions it can look pretty bleak, but it is what it is.

Personally what would be ideal (IMHO of course) would be to extend the entrance of the stadium at River road to the other side and have the road pass underneath it.

That would be nice to connect to Johnson Park and would certainly help relieve gridlock by eliminating the pedestrian/vehicle conflict zone, but the cost to build a subterranean section of River Road along the frontage of the stadium's south entrance would be quite cost prohibitive, especially given the low lying topography and groundwater table/flooding issues in that area.

That would be nice to connect to Johnson Park and would certainly help relieve gridlock by eliminating the pedestrian/vehicle conflict zone, but the cost to build a subterranean section of River Road along the frontage of the stadium's south entrance would be quite cost prohibitive, especially given the low lying topography and groundwater table/flooding issues in that area.
It wouldn't really be underground since the entrance to the stadium at River road is elevated almost 8'. That whole portion of the park could serve as a major tailgating area and truly extend Rutgers campus to the north side of the banks of the Raritan

It wouldn't really be underground since the entrance to the stadium at River road is elevated almost 8'. That whole portion of the park could serve as a major tailgating area and truly extend Rutgers campus to the north side of the banks of the Raritan

Fans entering from the south entrance go up two levels to the concourse anyway. So it would probably be easier to build an elevated walkway that connects with the second level of the stadium and then entering fans would only need to go up one level to the concourse. The elevated walkway could also connect about midway up the path that leads from River Rd to the Scarlet Lot. To make the elevated walkway a little nicer, it could connect to an elevated patio or entry plaza at the second level of the south gate.

Reactions: RUnTeX
ADVERTISEMENT