ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers University to ban romantic relationships between faculty and students

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Rutgers University faculty and their students — both undergrads and graduates — are not currently prohibited from being in a sexual or romantic relationship.

If a faculty member violates university policy, or faces allegations of unprofessional or inappropriate behavior, the faculty member is not required to disclose that information to their superiors.

And deans, department heads and faculty have no training programs on how to prevent or handle cases of harassment in any form.

All of that is about to change.

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/sto...hips-between-faculty-and-students/3681834002/

As it happens, I have several present, retired, or late colleagues who married students (This was all in the late 1970s, when many older women enrolled in law school). Some of the marriages worked wonderfully; more of them did not. A student once propositioned me and I said, "no way!" (I might have been tempted if she were beautiful and charming.) I once considered taking up with the mother of a student, but refrained and I think wisely so.

As Tango Two's heading states, Rutgers is now moving toward banning such relationships.

Finally. How Bronner still has a job at Rutgers is beyond me, but at least this will hopefully make him stop preying on his freshman Poli Sci students.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT