ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Cornell Predictions

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
On paper in a normal year, this would be a must see dual between 2 of the top wrestling schools in the Northeast. With RU in a minor rebuild and CU with most of its best wrestlers prepping for Tokyo or on RS (Yianni, Max Dean, Darmstadt), some of the luster isn't there. I'm thinking it'll be a close match and RU will be ready with Ashnault and Suriano in the Trapezoid of Terror.

125 Aguilar Win, RU 3-0
133 Alvarez another resume win, RU 6-0
141 Aragona Lose, RU 6-3
149 Angelo Win, RU 9-3
157 MVB Lose, RU 9-6
165 Donner Win, RU 12-6
174 Grello Lose, RU 12-9
184 Janzer Win, RU 15-9
197 Pagano Win, RU 18-9
HVY Esposito Lose, RU 18-12

Last edited:
On paper in a normal year, this would be a must see dual between 2 of the top wrestling schools in the Northeast. With RU in a minor rebuild and CU with most of its best wrestlers prepping for Tokyo or on RS (Yianni, Max Dean, Darmstadt), some of the luster isn't there. I'm thinking it'll be a close match and RU will be ready with Ashnault and Suriano in the Trapezoid of Terror.

125 Aguilar Win, RU 3-0
141 Aragona Lose, RU 6-3
149 Angelo Win, RU 9-3
157 MVB Lose, RU 9-6
165 Donner Win, RU 12-6
174 Grello Lose, RU 12-9
184 Janzer Win, RU 15-9
197 Pagano Win, RU 18-9
That is such wishful thinking. Hope you’re right!

I can't see us winning both 184 and 197. I think Janzer has a much better chance than Pagano, but both guys are underdogs.

My prediction:

125: Aguilar - MD W (RU 4-0)
133: Alvarez - L (RU 4-3)
141: Aragona - W (RU 7-3)
149: Angelo - W (RU 10-3)
157: MVB - W (RU 13-3)
165: Donner - L (RU 13-6)
174: Grello - L (RU 13-9)
184: Janzer - W (RU 16-9)
197: Pagano - L (RU 16-12)
285: Esposito - L (RU 16-15)

If Alvarez loses, we need Aragona, Angelo, and MVB to take care of business as we can't afford any slip ups here to even have a chance. Janzer will also need to pull an upset unless Donner can win although he has previously lost to his opponent.

MVB's opponent isn't good. He is 8-10 on the year and has lost his last 7 and I don't think his wins are against anyone in the top 100. He needs to win. No excuses. If he can somehow get bonus points, that would be huge as well as that could be difference if it goes to criteria.

Grello needs to keep his match to a decision. I know he hasn't been wrestling very well lately, but he can't give up any bonus points. Same with Pagano. Need them to wrestle hard but smart.

Have we ever beaten Cornell ?? I can’t recall it if we did .. this would be a huge win

There’s like 5-7 bouts that I can see swinging either way... 133, 141, 149, 157, and 184 and to a lesser extent 174 and 197. Should win 125, likely lose 165 and HWT.

Depends who Cornell wrestles. Womack and Darmstadt are out and Berrysea is supposedly coming off Olympic redshirt. Will be interesting. Alvarez takes on undefeated Chas Tucker

Depends who Cornell wrestles. Womack and Darmstadt are out and Berrysea is supposedly coming off Olympic redshirt. Will be interesting. Alvarez takes on undefeated Chas Tucker

What happened to Darmstadt and Womack? Darmstadt wrestled and won last week.

Another big match for the Bull. Chas Tucker is no joke and he presents a bit of a different style here. Sammy has been on a roll of late vs. ranked opponents so hoping he can keep it going.

As for Aragona, this is the type of match he needs to win if it was worth waving his redshirt. Noah Baughman is a tough experienced wrestler who had a close loss to Pletcher earlier this year, but is by no means elite. This is Yianni's weight and he's just holding the fort. If Jo Jo wants to make noise as a true freshman and live up to the hype of his recruit ranking we need him to pull these types of matches out.

Wrestlestat has Cornell winning.

I am interested in 149. Would Angelo had started if he stayed at Cornell?

125 Aguilar Win, RU 3-0
141 Aragona Lose, RU 6-3
149 Angelo Win, RU 9-3
157 MVB Lose, RU 9-6
165 Donner Win, RU 12-6
174 Grello Lose, RU 12-9
184 Janzer Win, RU 15-9
197 Pagano Win, RU 18-9
Please just call it The RAC :). Will Suriano be there as he's missed several of these events already? I'd sign up for those results but we'd have to win all the tossups.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
With the lineups I saw Rutgers should win the dual.Should win 125,157,165,174,184 and 197.133,141 and 149 could go either way.

Reactions: FoxRU
125 Aguilar Win, RU 3-0 (LaJoie will stall to make it close)
133 Alvarez Loss RU 3-3 (not a good style match up for Sammy)
141 Aragona Win, RU 6-3 ( can't lose to a 125lber)
149 Angelo Loss, RU 6-6 (unless Gerald hits a big move)
157 MVB Win, RU 9-6 (has the talent - just needs confidence)
165 Donner Win, RU 12-6 (watch out if it is Merola - talented Jersey kid)
174 Grello Win, RU 15-6 (Womack out)
184 Janzer Win, RU 15-9 (Loew talented - would be big victory for Janzer)
197 Pagano Win, RU 18-9 ( Darmstadt out - Jordy shouldn't lose)
HVY Esposito Lose, RU 18-12 (Furman too talented for Espo - Will we see Correnti?)

He could be at 165 as they have 2 options there. With two of Cornell’s big guns hurt and several on Olympic redshirt, this is the year to have a chance to beat them. Next year they get the Olympic guys back plus the injured plus the super grey shirts from Nj

Reactions: rubigtimenow
125 Aguilar Win, RU 3-0 (LaJoie will stall to make it close)
133 Alvarez Loss RU 3-3 (not a good style match up for Sammy)
141 Aragona Win, RU 6-3 ( can't lose to a 125lber)
149 Angelo Loss, RU 6-6 (unless Gerald hits a big move)
157 MVB Win, RU 9-6 (has the talent - just needs confidence)
165 Donner Win, RU 12-6 (watch out if it is Merola - talented Jersey kid)
174 Grello Win, RU 15-6 (Womack out)
184 Janzer Win, RU 15-9 (Loew talented - would be big victory for Janzer)
197 Pagano Win, RU 18-9 ( Darmstadt out - Jordy shouldn't lose)
HVY Esposito Lose, RU 18-12 (Furman too talented for Espo - Will we see Correnti?)
184 win would result in RU winning 21-9

I just reviewed the results of the Cornell/ Lehigh match the other day and Lehigh just squeaked by. They won by 1 point at 125 and 141 and 2 points at 133. Most bouts were 2 points bouts except 174 and 285. This match will be close and could go either way. Would not be surprised if was not close. We need to bring our best or it will be a long night.

Reactions: R U Crazy
OK what's going on with Turley? Injured or was his redshirt burned so he could sit on the bench?

OK what's going on with Turley? Injured or was his redshirt burned so he could sit on the bench?

Burning his redshirt not a big deal. They thought he would be the 165lber for a year....weight cut hurt him some, so he will redshirt next year. I doubt he sees 165 again. If he redshirted this season, would he beat Grello next year? With this many Frosh around the same weight, some had to go this year.

Burning his redshirt not a big deal. They thought he would be the 165lber for a year....weight cut hurt him some, so he will redshirt next year. I doubt he sees 165 again. If he redshirted this season, would he beat Grello next year? With this many Frosh around the same weight, some had to go this year.
Hope he makes big strides in the off-season and can make 174 next year. Grello is on thin ice with much of the fanbase and I have to think if he is struggling early as a senior next year will have Goodale relegate him to Bench Land.

I don't see the benefit if he's just sitting on the bench.

He’s saying that he’s probably a 174 pounder and with Grello presumably there this year and next, Turley was going to end up wasting a year on the bench either way.

So option A: take a shot at 165, redshirt in year 2
Option B: redshirt year 1, ride bench at 174 in year 2.

Either way his first two years include a redshirt and a year on the bench, but option A at least gave him a chance at 165.

Reactions: obrats
He’s saying that he’s probably a 174 pounder and with Grello presumably there this year and next, Turley was going to end up wasting a year on the bench either way.

So option A: take a shot at 165, redshirt in year 2
Option B: redshirt year 1, ride bench at 174 in year 2.

Either way his first two years include a redshirt and a year on the bench, but option A at least gave him a chance at 165.
I don't need you to explain what he said to me. I understand exactly what he said, I just don't agree with it. You have no idea what's going to happen next year, you're not Nostradamus. Most kids make their biggest leap following their redshirt year do to the adjustment from high school to college. Again I'm not an idiot I know wrestling and have been either doing it myself, coaching or following it for over 40 yrs.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Hope he makes big strides in the off-season and can make 174 next year. Grello is on thin ice with much of the fanbase and I have to think if he is struggling early as a senior next year will have Goodale relegate him to Bench Land.
Speak for yourself when referring to fan base ..he is what he is so knocking him repeatedly helps no one ..you seem to enjoy ripping kids with your keyboard muscles ..it’s getting old so don’t speak for the fan base when not everyone does what you do or feels the way you do ..he works hard and is a great kid ...I don’t think he goes out there trying to disappoint you lol

Please just call it The RAC :). Will Suriano be there as he's missed several of these events already? I'd sign up for those results but we'd have to win all the tossups.

Suriano apparently just showed up in Italy and registered at 57KG. Completely understand that he’s all about his Olympic run, but feel he needed to be there tonight.

As I’ve been saying, time to embrace Aguilar and Sammy. That’s our future. I’m thankful for everything Nick did for our program, but he’s his own guy and I think we need to move on until we here different.

Suriano apparently just showed up in Italy and registered at 57KG. Completely understand that he’s all about his Olympic run, but feel he needed to be there tonight.

As I’ve been saying, time to embrace Aguilar and Sammy. That’s our future. I’m thankful for everything Nick did for our program, but he’s his own guy and I think we need to move on until we here different.

I am glad Suriano made it to Italy.
Now there is a reason for me to watch the event!
GO NICK!

Bo Nickal just forfeited to Kyle Snyder in Italy. A lot of big names are there, including NJRTC Pat Downey. Kyle Dake, Daton Fix, others. Flo wrestling is covering it.

James Green‏ @WhoIsJamesG 3h3 hours ago
In other news there’s been a nick Suriano spotting here in Italy
1f440.png

Last edited:
In his interview on Flo Wrestling doesn't sound like he is registered just there to collect knowledge and practice with other wrestlers

Someone hasn’t had their morning coffee I guess
On this bone freezing day, just got done building a 4' high Allan Block wall on my farm with my workers. A hot coffee sounds great, you buying tonight? On second thought I might be asleep in my seat by mid-break. This cold and wind has sucked all the energy out of me.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
ADVERTISEMENT