ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Cornell recap

Apr 30, 2013
I think everyone pretty much summed up our performance,but I want to take a crack at it anyway.

McCabe: The kid is fried!.No fire,and will be lucky to finish with a 500 record( and that's being nice).Absolutely no offense and looks weak out there. Paetzall,we will juts have too wait on.I think he's redshirting.Patrick deserves the node until McCabe figures out if wrestling is even a thought for him anymore.Hate too bag on the kid,but he's clearly no interested.

Dippery: No shame in loosing too Grey.Dip went at kid,who when he is on,can place as a high AA.I think Dippery wins this the next time.He wrestled so tough and if he stays smart and wrestles good,he can can do some damage at NCAA's

Ash.Think he's going through that funk he had last year around the time he lost too the Minnesota kid.There's a lot of pressure on him,and thank Goid it's happening now and not at BIg 10's.Let him relax and Goody and Pritz will get him on track.

Theo: Kid is getting better every week.Such a killer on top and looks to me too be very powerful.At first I didn't like his stiff stance and limited movement,but apparently it works wonders for him.He also needs too keep the momentum.

VanBrill: This kid has an incredible future for this program.The only think I would say is that he needs a little more strength and mat time and he could be the next Perrotti. I wouldn't be surprised if he shocks some high seeded wrestlers at NCAA's

Scott:Willie,Willie,Willie,you where wrestling really tough until you got caught.The kid is gamer,no question,just doesn't have enough "big time mat" experience.

Bak: Phil..could you please win one match this year in overtime??? Gotta get out of this set type of thinking my man! You saw what it did too Billy Smith.

Messner: Ben Honis is no joke of wrestler and I say keep Messner in there and get the mat time.I think he will do big things at the end of the year.May even qualify for NCAA's if coaches keep him in there.

Gravina: Look,nobody in the land is going too dominate Gravina except for Dean.Nick was going at him for 6 minutes.Dean is just that spectacular.Come NCAA's,I got Gravina my dark horse too AA.Maybe Valencia,Nickal or Dudley would be sure fires too beat him( although I would love too see Nickal and Gravina go at it).Nick just got out wrestled in the 3rd.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Richie Lewis absence a mystery. W Van Brill improving quickly at 157, Lewis at 165 could be a potent 1-2 . IF. McCabe a big disappointment so far, hopefully this staff can turn him around.
Team seemed to come out flat, too much turkey or post Princeton celebration ? RU probably deserves to be ranked around 18-20.

Hofstra tourny up next. Anyone know the format and what other teams are in this ? Then Maryland dual, then Midlands after that i guess. Midlands always great .

The team looks much improved in the top position. Twice we chose top in a crucial moment. That's a good thing going forward. $$$$

Reactions: RUGrapple
Richie Lewis absence a mystery. W Van Brill improving quickly at 157, Lewis at 165 could be a potent 1-2 . IF. McCabe a big disappointment so far, hopefully this staff can turn him around.
Team seemed to come out flat, too much turkey or post Princeton celebration ? RU probably deserves to be ranked around 18-20.

Hofstra tourny up next. Anyone know the format and what other teams are in this ? Then Maryland dual, then Midlands after that i guess. Midlands always great .
What's funny is this team might struggle a bit in duals this year but will be a MUCH better tourney team. Looking forward to Hofstra and Midlands. And please Goodale, get Lipari or Patrick ready to go at 125.

Do you realize that McCabe is our only 125lber except for a redshirt which is not wise to burn ?

Not going to start its own tread but 4 guys wrestled in the Mat Town tournament in Lock Haven today.

133 - Patrick took 2nd place
165 - Donner DNP
165 - Pafumi took 4th place
197 - Mulligan took 2nd place

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Hofstra tourny up next. Anyone know the format and what other teams are in this ? Then Maryland dual, then Midlands after that i guess. Midlands always great .[/QUOTE]

Don't know the format but there look to be some terrific potential matchups with NC State. $$$$

"Richie is hurt right now," Goodale said without disclosing the nature of the injury. "He is going to get a MRI (Monday) to see where we are at with it, and then we'll go from there. It's so early in the year ... but we need to make sure that he's ready for March."

"I don't know how many times it has to happen until we learn," Goodale said. "We have some really good guys that refuse to want to go after a late score to win a big bout. It's a little bit frustrating."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ornell_rapid_reaction.html#incart_river_index

Last edited:
Reactions: Clearscreen25
Was at the Garden today and some observations~

25- Mccabe and backup Cornell kid looked evenly match till 3rd period where Cornell got the winning takedown. Meh.. last year Mccabe beat their starter but now loses to their backup. If Paetzell looks ready maybe we pull his RS late? It's not that crazy an idea.. NC State's Kevin Jack did that in 14-15' season and went on to place 5th at NCAA. Risky.. but NC State coaching staff ended up looking like geniuses.

33- I been continuously saying how I wanted to see Dippery against some top 20 competition. As advertised, Dippery is a hammer on top...however, he needs to improve in neutral. I can see the elite wrestlers getting takedowns and cutting him. If Dippery was as good on his feet as he is on top he would be unstoppable. I wouldn't rule out Scott D from this spot just yet come march.

49-57- Theobold and JVB were the two bright spots of this dual. Theo smothered his opponent and JVB wow he's improving so fast. His funk style, scrambly let it loose wrestling reminds me of Perrotti. He looks very slick out there. If Lewis is really this banged up maybe we should have RS him this year(I think its better he wrestled this year unless he's injured). I just remember thinking at this point of the dual how dominant we look on top. We really improved in this position.

74- When Bak got that reversal to take the lead in the third I jumped outa my seat and thought he might... really do this.... but when Realbuto escaped to tie the score I just knew.... To Bak's credit, this looked like a real even match..he just needs that killer instinct to close it out. Bak always hangs in there with the elite guys.. U know how they say if u keep squeaking out the close matches eventually one will bite you?? Well, I think the reverse could be true too... if you keep getting into close matches eventually u might steal one... well.. maybe not.. but I'm still going to have my fingers crossed Bak picks up a big win sometime soon.

84- Gravina looked great through the first two periods. I just envisioned two horses running side by side until the home stretch and then Dean just sprinted out way ahead..wit the crazy combo of near falls at the end. Seriously though, Gravina is going to be a tough draw come NCAA time.

Was at the Garden today and some observations~
25- It's not that crazy an idea.. NC State's Kevin Jack did that in 14-15' season and went on to place 5th at NCAA. Risky.. but NC State coaching staff ended up looking like geniuses.

Didn't Ohio State do it with Kyle Snyder last year to try to F with Penn State or Iowa or someone like that?

Didn't Ohio State do it with Kyle Snyder last year to try to F with Penn State or Iowa or someone like that?

He was taking an Olympic Redshirt, then he and OSU thought they had a very good chance to win the NCAA title, so he modified his Freestyle schedule to wrestle part of the 2nd semester. He only wrestled 3 dual meets prior to the Big Ten Tourn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT