ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Maryland - the matchups

Scangg

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2016
San Diego
Maryland

F - Reese - 6'9 230 sophomore. 10 points 7. boards. High percentage efficient inside presence shooting 69% from the field this season. After dealing with Edey, this guy isn't going to intimidate Cliff at all

F - Scott - 6'8 230 senior. 12 and 6 at 42%, 29% from 3. I thought he would shoot a bit higher percentage from 3 but it looks like his 44% year was an outlier with every other year right around 30. He will get the Mag treatment which will likely lead to a poor game and a few turnovers

G - Young - 6'1 185 senior. 14/4/3 41%, 29% from 3 is below his career averages. Will be giving up a lot of size to Cam. This is a mismatch he can exploit in the post if we want or force a switch for him on Paul where he would have zero chance. Can he make things happen with quickness on the other end to offset?

G - Hart - 6'8 205 senior. 12/5 54%, 39% from 3. Caleb time. Expect to see much worse numbers tonight

G - Carey 6'5 187 senior 7/3 31%, 25% from 3. This looks to be the weakest link. Time for Paul to use the confidence boost from late game Purdue and his healthy shoulder and come out and dominate this fool

6'3 guard Martinez off the bench looks to be their bench scoring option

Don't really see a bad matchup for us. Scott has a bit of weight on Mag but he has less athleticism and likes chucking 3's. Will he try to throw his weight around down low or hang out at the 3 point line?

We will have a pretty significant size advantage for both Paul and Cam. Both coming off very good games. No reason it shouldn't continue

I'm mostly worried about how we will defend Young on dribble penetration. If Caleb is guarding Hart, that leaves Spencer or Mulcahy to guard Young.

Now I'm not one of those "Cam and Paul are weak defensively" types, as I actually think they both play really good team defense and are good at jumping the passing lanes and digging down on the post. But in a pure 1-on-1 dribble penetration matchup, neither of them truly has the lateral quickness to stay in front of a guy like Young with any consistency. So they're going to need some help from guys sagging down, which could open up the wing players for open threes.

I suppose we could play Caleb on Young, with Mag taking on Hart. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I like this, as I like using our best wing defender (Caleb) on the opposing team's PG, as that can "choke off" the opposing team's offense, like cutting the head off the snake.

Caleb --> Young
Cam --> Carey
Paul --> Scott
Mag --> Hart
Cliff --> Reese

I'm mostly worried about how we will defend Young on dribble penetration. If Caleb is guarding Hart, that leaves Spencer or Mulcahy to guard Young.

Now I'm not one of those "Cam and Paul are weak defensively" types, as I actually think they both play really good team defense and are good at jumping the passing lanes and digging down on the post. But in a pure 1-on-1 dribble penetration matchup, neither of them truly has the lateral quickness to stay in front of a guy like Young with any consistency. So they're going to need some help from guys sagging down, which could open up the wing players for open threes.

I suppose we could play Caleb on Young, with Mag taking on Hart. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I like this, as I like using our best wing defender (Caleb) on the opposing team's PG, as that can "choke off" the opposing team's offense, like cutting the head off the snake.

Caleb --> Young
Cam --> Carey
Paul --> Scott
Mag --> Hart
Cliff --> Reese
Interesting. Could rotate defenders on him and switch up the looks. Mag played well against some small guards on switches last game

I'm wondering how they would handle the press. A lot of seniors on that team means they SHOULD be able to remain composed but full court pressure at the RAC will shake just about any team

I didn't get to watch the MD v. Michigan game. Does anyone know how Michigan so thoroughly dominated the Terps?

I didn't get to watch the MD v. Michigan game. Does anyone know how Michigan so thoroughly dominated the Terps?

I watched it, and I have no idea what happened. Maryland was not very good at putting the ball through the hoop. For a huge chunk of the game the shooting percentage was in single digits. I think that the number of baskets made in the first half could be counted on one hand. If not for Juwan Howard's compassion, it could have been a 50 or 60 point game.

And Dickinson ruled the paint on both ends...

Reactions: RU-ROCS
Looking at the stats for the year on bigten.org: we are at 44.2% FG% on the year and Maryland is marginally better at 45%. But defensively, we have limited opponents to 36.3% while Maryland is holding teams to 39.7%.

They are only at 30.8% on the season from long distance, with only Hart and Martinez shooting a high percentage.

Maryland is one of the weaker B1G teams on the boards with a +2 rebounding margin, good for 10th place. Comparison - we are 4th at +5.8.

They are DEAD LAST in A/TO ratio because they do not get assists (155 in 14 games). We have 222 assists.

Maryland has blocked six more shots than we have, but have 69 fewer steals. !!

We definitely will switch up our D at times to create confusion and make them eat more clock, as well as bring the 3/4 court press. Avoid the dumb turnovers, share the ball on offense, and we should be okay.

Looking at the stats for the year on bigten.org: we are at 44.2% FG% on the year and Maryland is marginally better at 45%. But defensively, we have limited opponents to 36.3% while Maryland is holding teams to 39.7%.

They are only at 30.8% on the season from long distance, with only Hart and Martinez shooting a high percentage.

Maryland is one of the weaker B1G teams on the boards with a +2 rebounding margin, good for 10th place. Comparison - we are 4th at +5.8.

They are DEAD LAST in A/TO ratio because they do not get assists (155 in 14 games). We have 222 assists.

Maryland has blocked six more shots than we have, but have 69 fewer steals. !!

We definitely will switch up our D at times to create confusion and make them eat more clock, as well as bring the 3/4 court press. Avoid the dumb turnovers, share the ball on offense, and we should be okay.
Dead last in A/TO ratio against Rutgers defense at the RAC is a very juicy stat

Dead last in A/TO ratio against Rutgers defense at the RAC is a very juicy stat
Turning the ball over a lot is basically just asking the crowd to take over. Also no assists and don’t get many offensive rebounds so I’m guessing lots of iso. Probably not what you wanna do against this defense.

Reactions: Scangg
Turning the ball over a lot is basically just asking the crowd to take over. Also no assists and don’t get many offensive rebounds so I’m guessing lots of iso. Probably not what you wanna do against this defense.
Exactly

It's odd to see a team with so many seniors starting dead last in A/TO

Reactions: Scarlet83
Not a technical reason (I didn't catch the game either) but it might have been partly fueled by UMich's desire to bounce back from their own embarrassing loss at home to CMU three days earlier.

And thus we have the more reason for concern tonight that MD will be highly motivated to make amends for their hugely embarrassing loss at UM.

Reactions: Arizona Knight
And thus we have the more reason for concern tonight that MD will be highly motivated to make amends for their hugely embarrassing loss at UM.
Well a few games before that they were coming off an embarrassing loss to UCLA. Beat 2 cupcakes then played Michigan. UCLA loss didn’t seem to motivate them.

Reactions: RU-ROCS
I wouldn't underestimate Scott, he can be very physical at times and tough to stop.

G - Carey 6'5 187 senior 7/3 31%, 25% from 3. This looks to be the weakest link. Time for Paul to use the confidence boost from late game Purdue and his healthy shoulder and come out and dominate this fool
he's being benched for Noah Batchelor according to a MD poster.

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT