ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs MSU - The Matchups

Scangg

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2016
San Diego
1 - A.J. Hoggard (6’4” Jr.), Tre Holloman (6’2” Fr.)

2 - Tyson Walker (6’0” Sr.)

3 - Jaden Akins (6’4” So.), Pierre Brooks II (6’5” So.)

4 - Joey Hauser (6’9” Sr.), Jason Whitens (6’6” Sr.)

5 - Mady Sissoko (6’9” Jr.), Jaxon Kohler (6’9” Fr.), Carson Cooper (6’11” Fr.)

Injured: Malik Hall (6’8” Sr.)

Walker is the obvious problem matchup. He is super quick and got into the lane at will last game. He does a great job of keeping his dribble alive. Rutgers shuts down Walker and we win this game. Does he see Caleb or Mag to bother him with more length? The help D will be crucial. Does Rutgers swarming D force TOs from Walker when he penetrates?

If Pike does decide to try some Caleb on Walker, Mag could take Hoggard and shift Paul on Hauser. It'll be interesting to see what Pike has schemed up.

We will have the size advantage on the perimeter as usual. Paul needs to get back to his groove on offense. Let's hope Cam and Mag continue their hot streak

Can the bench step up and contribute a bit more in a huge road game?

MSU rallies with no Hall first game without him. Second game without a key player is sometimes where it really hurts after the initial emotional rally

I would expect Mag on Hauser a lot. He is their 2nd leading scored and I think his size (weight) is a little big for Caleb. If Coach thinks Caleb is quick enough to bother Walker, that might be interesting at times.

Walker has been logging MINUTES lately, with 36 at Wisconsin, 35 at Illinois, and 37 against Purdue. I am surprised to see that he totaled one assist in those three games. Did the other teams just play him straight up, or did he play intattack mode (throw him the ball and you won't see it again)? I don't know.

Will Sissoko or Cliff have foul trouble? Sissoko is not a scoring threat (averaging 5.8 per night), but I think he is clearly their best option for checking Cliff.

Looking at conference-only stats, Rutgers D is giving up 61.6 per game and the Spartans are 2nd at 63. We are close in offense, too: MSU 65.9, RU 65.1. Scoring figures to be at a premium again in this one.

The Spartans have a wide edge on us in rebounding margin in conference play, 7.7 to 0.4. I wonder how much Hall being out will counterbalance that. Hauser and Sissoko both are averaging 7+ boards per night. I'm sure attacking the glass will be a point of emphasis for our guys in this one.

We've been forcing 14 turnovers per game in B1G play, the Spartans are averaging 8.4 turnovers forced per game. We appear to have an edge there. Also, MSU is near the bottom in blocked shots at only 17 blocks in seven league games, while we are at 33. They are also dead last in steals with 26 in seven games. We have 60 swipes! Conclusion for me: attack the paint!

Reactions: Scangg
I would expect Mag on Hauser a lot. He is their 2nd leading scored and I think his size (weight) is a little big for Caleb. If Coach thinks Caleb is quick enough to bother Walker, that might be interesting at times.

Walker has been logging MINUTES lately, with 36 at Wisconsin, 35 at Illinois, and 37 against Purdue. I am surprised to see that he totaled one assist in those three games. Did the other teams just play him straight up, or did he play intattack mode (throw him the ball and you won't see it again)? I don't know.

Will Sissoko or Cliff have foul trouble? Sissoko is not a scoring threat (averaging 5.8 per night), but I think he is clearly their best option for checking Cliff.

Looking at conference-only stats, Rutgers D is giving up 61.6 per game and the Spartans are 2nd at 63. We are close in offense, too: MSU 65.9, RU 65.1. Scoring figures to be at a premium again in this one.

The Spartans have a wide edge on us in rebounding margin in conference play, 7.7 to 0.4. I wonder how much Hall being out will counterbalance that. Hauser and Sissoko both are averaging 7+ boards per night. I'm sure attacking the glass will be a point of emphasis for our guys in this one.

We've been forcing 14 turnovers per game in B1G play, the Spartans are averaging 8.4 turnovers forced per game. We appear to have an edge there. Also, MSU is near the bottom in blocked shots at only 17 blocks in seven league games, while we are at 33. They are also dead last in steals with 26 in seven games. We have 60 swipes! Conclusion for me: attack the paint!
How can Walker have played almost the entire game with the ball in his hand for 3 straight games and have only 1 assist?!

That's wild

Could maybe see more Simpson/Miller minutes to matchup with Walker's quickness if he is hurting us too much

ADVERTISEMENT